11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2015 7:19 AM by A.T. Romano

Why are clips that have fade/text blury and other's are fine?

emerickd10

First, It seems as if when I put any kind of effect - I just use fading in/out and text over video - the video becomes pixalated/not HD. This ONLY happens on the clips that I have used a fade or text over the video. The rest of the clips look great. Any idea about this???

I am using video from a Canon 70D.

I recently changed the "preset" to something recommended by a replier on here so that my clips wouldn't need rendering...that works great. But, it's the first time I've edited in this preset so it's the first time this pixilation has happened to my clips.

Second, I have to make a separate disc with video from a Canon Vixia camera. I have not yet even pulled those clips into premiere, but I know that with the presets for my 70D camera, these will not work. Any suggestion on a preset for when I go to make this project? I don't even remember how to go back and forth with setting presets (I was recommended what settings to use and how to do them).

Thank you!!

• 1. Re: Why are clips that have fade/text blury and other's are fine?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

emerickd10

The project preset needs to match the properties of the source media. There should not be any exploration and experimentation with that unless you have a video with properties atypical for any of the Premiere Elements project presets.

If you are using the Canon 70D, you could be using video

1920 x 1080 @ 30, 25, or 24 progressive frames per second

or

1280 x 720 @ 60p or 50p.

Which of those is going to be used in this project?

The 1920 x 1080 are here are going to be under the DSLR settings; whereas, the 1280 x 720 will be under AVCHD.

What are the recording settings for the Canon Vixia - interlaced or progressive frame rate, what frame rate, what frame size? Might be able to get more than one format on that Timeline - setting the project preset for one and then getting the other to fit into the project settings. More on that with more information.

When you are doing your title fade in fade out, are you manually adjusting the fade in and fade out time...typically

Fade In - Opacity keyframe at the beginning of the Timeline at 0% Opacity and keyframe 1 second from the beginning at 100% Opacity

and same clip

Fade Out - Opacity keyframe = 100% 1 second from the end of the clip and Opacity keyframe = 0% at the end of the clip.

But, you can adjust the Fade In and Fade Out times.

Please review and consider. I am going to check out your other thread now to see what is happening in it.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why are clips that have fade/text blury and other's are fine?
            emerickd10 Level 1

ATR,

The only way for me to check the properties of the video that I know was to right click on a clip in my computer documents.

When doing so, the 70D showed: 1920 x 1080...Data rate 31845kbps, Total bitrate 33505kbps, Frame rate 29 frames/second.

The Vixia showed: 1920 x 1080, data rate 23702kbps, total bitrate 23958kbps, frame rate 29 frames/second.

The only difference I noticed from the two was that the Vixia says that the type of file is: AVCHD Video (.MTS). The 70D video says the type of file is: QuickTime Movie (.MOV)...Again, this is from right clicking and clicking on properties from the clips on my computer, not in the program.

Hopefully I did this right and it makes sense? Remember, you had me change the preset settings of my program to match my 70D camera on my last thread. Don't exactly remember what you had me do or what setting we chose. I can look in the previous thread.

Fading In/Out:

I typically manually fade in and out, but some of them I had done the preset where you just right click fade in video/fade out video. In other words, there is a mix of both throughout the project where I am fading different clips in and out.

I only have one text in the project and it is manually faded in and out. Even the text looks pixilated.

Again, I hope you understand what I am saying - every clip looks excellent except for the ones that I either have used the fading, or have the text over it. So while I'm watching it looks great, great, great, then blurry, then great again...happening only to the ones with effects.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Why are clips that have fade/text blury and other's are fine?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

emerickd10

Tonight you started a new thread on your issue. And, in the latest thread, you wrote

Anyone know why this may be happening?

I am using clips from a Canon 70D...

This is the first time I have been editing in a project that fits my camera settings (1920x1080 30fps)

Clips drop into the project without rendering needed and look great, but when I put a fade manually or use a fade to black transition the clip turns blurry and pixilated after rendering?? ONLY TO THE CLIPS USING THE FADE, the rest look perfect. So when watching, it goes from blurry to fine, fine, fine, blurry.

Using premiere elements on a windows 7 laptop.

I lost track of the thread that we are in now in the thread traffic here. Apologizes for that.

I will resume the follow up comments in the next post in this thread that we are in now.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why are clips that have fade/text blury and other's are fine?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

emerickd10

The first thing that I want to factor in or out is the nature of the edges of the adjacent clips where the fade to black transition is placed.

a. What is the transition alignment? Does the transition alignment make a difference - Left Clip, Between Clips, or Right Clip?

b. What is the duration of the transition versus the duration of the 2 video clips?

c. What happens to the issue if you trim off a few frames from the end of the first video clip and the beginning of the second?

Even if you have a rendered Timeline prior to transition placement, when you place the transition, you will need Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview of that Timeline with transition added. When you have gotten transition results that were not wanted, did you try to edit the transition?

Are you saying that the whole clip becomes pixelated in these instances or just the part where the transition duration overlaps the clip edges?

Is there any chance that you can capture in screenshot or screenshots

a. view when Timeline Indicator is at the beginning of the transition

b. view when Timeline Indicator is at between clips

c. view when Timeline Indicator is at end of transition

I would like to see where the Timeline Indicator is in the blurry to fine fine blurry sequence....expected fade out - black - fade in with no impact on clip area where transition is not placed.

I will look for your comments in the morning morning if I do not see them before I call it a day within the next 1/2 hour.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 5. Re: Why are clips that have fade/text blury and other's are fine?
                  emerickd10 Level 1

screenshot1.jpg

You'll notice here that the video and text looks very clear - this is right as I re-opened the project when the transition and texts were not yet rendered.

screenshot3.jpg

You'll notice here that the video and text is now pixilated/blurry after rendering. It doesn't look as bad on this screen, but when I view the video in full screen you can most definitely tell.

screenshot2.jpg

Same thing here - video quality looks great before being rendered. (The clips only with fade being used)

screenshot4.jpg

And here pixilated/blurry after being rendered. I hope that you can tell from these screenshots, just believe me that they look a lot worse on my computer and in full screen.

It's almost as if rendering is doing exactly opposite of what it should be doing??

To answer your questions:

a. What is the transition alignment? Does the transition alignment make a difference - Left Clip, Between Clips, or Right Clip?

No, this does not make a difference whether or not it is left, between, or right.

b. What is the duration of the transition versus the duration of the 2 video clips?

The transitions are anywhere from 1-4 seconds..not certain duration. The clips vary too. In the example with the two people the transition is 1 second each on either side and I would say the clip is about 4 seconds long.

c. What happens to the issue if you trim off a few frames from the end of the first video clip and the beginning of the second?

I didn't try this only because I don't have room to do that with any of the clips - I have already cut them down to the exact length that I want them.

Even if you have a rendered Timeline prior to transition placement, when you place the transition, you will need Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview of that Timeline with transition added. When you have gotten transition results that were not wanted, did you try to edit the transition?

I initially did the fading manually...they looked fine until being rendered...after that I deleted the manual fading and added the transitions...again, they looked fine at first but then once rendered they turned blurry.

Are you saying that the whole clip becomes pixelated in these instances or just the part where the transition duration overlaps the clip edges?

Yes, the whole clip that has the fade or the text placed over it becomes blurry, but then the clip following without a fade will look perfect.

Sorry for the delayed response, I've got a lot going on.

Thanks for your time, as always.

• 7. Re: Why are clips that have fade/text blury and other's are fine?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

emerickd10

Thanks for the screenshots.

Are the 2 files involved with one of the fade transitions both videos or both stills or a combination as you move down the Timeline.

Have you been able to co-relate whether just the 70D files are always involved in the issue, whether just the Vixia files are always involved in the issue, or does not matter?

You talk about previewing in Full Screen. Have you taken the Timeline to export and determined if what you are seeing at preview before export is seen after export at playback on your TV player or standalone player?

From our discussions, I am assuming that you are putting 1080p and 1080i video into a 1080p project.

I am not really seeing pixelation in the screenshots. Depending on your details, did any measure of Sharpen effect, make the clips involved sharp enough to workaround what you are seeing and co-relating specially to fades between two adjacent clips?

What is going on above Video Track 1, and above the area where the 2 clips and transition are located?

ATR

• 8. Re: Why are clips that have fade/text blury and other's are fine?
                      emerickd10 Level 1

screenshot 6.jpgscreenshot5big.jpg

Can you tell that the video is blurry here in the second picture? The text looks pixilated as compared to the one above...and look at the flowers and the mason jar.

The only "still" would be the text that overlaps the video and then transititions to the white background. The rest are all videos.

I am only using 70D video in this project. No vixia files are being used.

I have not yet tried to export this project only because I figured if it doesn't look perfect in the timeline, it won't look right exported. Maybe I should try this anyway?

I am using 1920x1080 video with 29.97 FR. I am using the DSLR setting for 1920x1080 like you had me change to in my last project.

screenshot 7.jpg

Above video 1 is audio 2. I do this so that I can mix two audios over one another. Make sense?

I just don't know why this is happening...I have used fading plenty of times before - the only time I've had trouble is this time. This is the first time editing in the DSLR setting...you think this has anything to do with it?

• 9. Re: Why are clips that have fade/text blury and other's are fine?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

emerickd10

Now is the time to do the export and compare export quality to previewing quality. There may not necessarily be the same - preview not perfect and export fine. And full screen previewing especially within the project.

You are using the correct project preset for that source media. So, right now, I am not seeing the project preset as the issue. And, using just the 70D video in this project takes a lot of variables out of the troubleshooting.

What happens if you put Audio 1 content in the Soundtrack instead? Right now, I am not seeing any rationale for trying this, but just curious.

At this stage of the project build, I would probably work from a copy of the problem project for troubleshooting.

Also, please remind me...

Have you looked at right clicking the Edit area monitor, selecting Playback Quality, and then setting for Highest instead of Automatic?

ATR

• 10. Re: Why are clips that have fade/text blury and other's are fine?
                          emerickd10 Level 1

ATR,

So I exported it to an MPEG for playback on my laptop. Sure enough...it looks fine!

BUT, I tried to upload it to Vimeo like I typically do....well, this has happened before but I got an email saying " We can’t post your video "Mallory + Ryan | Wedding Trailer" just yet because our Copyright Match system detected third-party copyrighted material." Assuming this is because one of the songs that I used - any idea how I can get permission to use the music??? This has happened before and I just had to pick a different song. This is very frustrating because I'm finally finished and now I have to go back and try different songs. Have you ever ran into this problem? Anything I can do about it?

• 11. Re: Why are clips that have fade/text blury and other's are fine?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

emerickd10

Great news that the export is not displaying what you saw in the Edit area previewing. Thanks for the follow through on the troubleshooting.

I have not personally run into the issue of copyright in my uploads to YouTube and Vimeo, but many have. It can hit video as well as audio content.

Getting permission to use the protected material may be a project in itself.

I am not sure of the background on the organization that authored the following, but it looks like it targets your question of what to do when you run into copyrighted material.

Getting Permission

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR