2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 9:04 AM by dalefinal

Removing files on hard drive - LR6 - Mac 10.10.3

dalefinal

Well gang ... I'm a relative newbie to Lightroom ... but ... I'm trying to develop a workflow that allows me to "reject" or simply delete images - both from my LR catalog and delete the files permanently from my external hard drive.

When hitting the DELETE key - I receive a dialog box that asks whether I want to "Remove" the photo from my LT catalog or "Delete from Disk" which removes the photo from my LT catalog and permanently removes the photo to my TRASH.

Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 12.17.41 PM.png

What's happening now:

After selecting a photo, I  hit the "Delete from Disk" button. Lightroom does move the photo to the TRASH, but it also LEAVES my original photo within my Finder folder...in a sense duplicating the photo, leaving the original where it was and putting a duplicate in the TRASH. This is not good, I want to permanently remove this file.

Using LT6, Mac OSX 10.10.3 ... I did try resetting privileges (shift-option) with no improvement.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for the help ... Dale

• 1. Re: Removing files on hard drive - LR6 - Mac 10.10.3
          Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like you may already have a duplicate of the file on your hard drive and Lightroom is deleting one of them. Is it possible that you imported the images into Lightroom using the 'Copy' method which essentially would have copied your images to the pictures folder? Your originals may still reside in their original location. Do a search on your computer to make sure you don't have duplicates.

• 2. Re: Removing files on hard drive - LR6 - Mac 10.10.3
            dalefinal Level 1

Thank you Theresa. You were correct - I did have a DUPLICATE folder that was generated upon import "within" my main folder. It was a subfolder that contained the same images as my other subfolders. I'll delete the existing folder and reimport being careful not to generate the duplicate folder. Thank you again for the help.  DALE