10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 11:29 AM by JimHess

How to display as shot by camera?

lostinbids

I would like lightroom not to change raw files from as shot unless I ask it to.  Is there a way of doing this?

I understand that the camera is just showing me an altered thumbnail from the original raw but I would like that as a starting point.

• 1. Re: How to display as shot by camera?
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AFAIK ... No. LR always does render it's own preview.

• 2. Re: How to display as shot by camera?
            lostinbids Level 1

F. McLion, thanks for the answer.  Hopefully someone else will know a way, and also a way to switch off the added sharpening too

• 3. Re: How to display as shot by camera?

You an adjust how LR does interpret the RAW of your camera by changing or creating a new camera profile: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS939594D8-4279-41b4-B8E9-B06BC919EC7C.html

• 4. Re: How to display as shot by camera?
                dj_paige Level 9

Hopefully someone else will know a way

But, as McLion said, there is no way.

The logic of using the appearance shown in camera as a starting point is something I don't recommend. The whole idea of raw is that you can edit the photo to your desired appearance (within the limits of the software, of course). So the process ought to be

Initial Rendering of Image -> Edit -> Desired Appearance

It shouldn't matter where you start from, you still have to get to the desired end point.

• 5. Re: How to display as shot by camera?
                  99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could do something with crop aspect ratio, if you mean it is different to what the full sensor captures. After import you could select all thumbnails and go to the Quick Develop Tab. From the crop presets drop down menu choose “As Shot”

If you are referring to aspect ratio, there are a number of presets to choose from which will produce a centered crop.

Otherwise from the Saved Presets you could choose Zeroed from the Lightroom General Presets. That will re-set the sliders and clear all the default settings which should get you to your preferred starting point.

• 6. Re: How to display as shot by camera?
                    lostinbids Level 1

@dj_paige McLion actually said AFAIK... which is - As Far As I Know.  That is why I said "Hopefully someone else will know".

Thank you for the recommendation of not using the look I asked the camera to give me but that look was my choice at the time of shooting and I would like to see that look.  I don't want the custom curves changed, I don't want the b&w conversion taken off and I most definitely do not want 25% uniform sharpening added to the whole image. 

I feel that Lightroom's initial render is incorrect 9 times out of 10.  I would settle for a flat look if I can't see the look I shot, then at least I would be at a starting point.

Is it possible to have a flat look?

ETA:  thank you 99jon for the Zeroed default, that is better than the standard one

• 7. Re: How to display as shot by camera?
                      dj_paige Level 9

@dj_paige McLion actually said AFAIK... which is - As Far As I Know.  That is why I said "Hopefully someone else will know".

Okay, so I am stating definitively that this cannot be turned off.

I would again point out that I think putting energy into getting a "good starting point" is off target. I recommend you put your energy ought to go into getting to a good end point. For example, when I started using Lightroom, I found that on almost every RAW photo, I was adding contrast and increasing the vibrance. So I created a preset to perform these steps for me automatically, bringing me closer to a final edit that I like. I did not care what the original rendering of the photo was, and I did not take steps to get at a "good starting point", I took steps to get me to a good ending point.

So anyway, that's my point of view.

• 8. Re: How to display as shot by camera?

Actually, I was 99% sure ... AFAIK.

Some ideas to tune as others in this thread also already mentioned: https://fstoppers.com/originals/simple-lightroom-trick-restore-back-your-camera-look-38204

You can try to come close but you will not have exactly the same because you cannot turn off the LR rendering.

• 9. Re: How to display as shot by camera?
                          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

In the Develop module, Camera Calibration panel, there are a bunch of presets you can choose from to kick start your editing.

The default used is "adobe standard".

There are a bunch that start with "camera" where Adobe attempts to mimic the profiles created by your camera manufacturer.

Any custom curves may present problems in that the curve data is proprietary to the camera maker and Adobe does not read it.

In-camera b&w is just a flag in the EXIF data; all the data stored is still in color. The way the camera makes the b&w preview is one of the low-quality methods used.

Personally, I have my cameras set to the "neutral" picture control and import using the "camera neutral" profile so that LR starts with roughly what I saw on the back of the camera.

• 10. Re: How to display as shot by camera?
                            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

lostinbids wrote:

Thank you for the recommendation of not using the look I asked the camera to give me but that look was my choice at the time of shooting and I would like to see that look.  I don't want the custom curves changed, I don't want the b&w conversion taken off and I most definitely do not want 25% uniform sharpening added to the whole image. 

I feel that Lightroom's initial render is incorrect 9 times out of 10.  I would settle for a flat look if I can't see the look I shot, then at least I would be at a starting point.

Is it possible to have a flat look?

In the develop module, in the presets panel under Lightroom General, there is a preset named Zeroed that will set everything to 0. After you apply that preset to an image you could save new camera defaults. That process would save all of those settings as the default for newly imported images. I think this is about as close as you could come to having the raw image data in an unaltered state.