4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2015 10:14 PM by rdsm

Publishing Smart Preview Catalogs to an online file Repository

rdsm

Hi,

I am developing a lightroom plugin in lua which will allow me to upload/publish smart preview catalogs to an online file repository.

So far I have been successful in uploading jpegs to the online repository.

However, now I am facing difficulty in building the smart preview files.

local cat

LrTasks.startAsyncTaskWithoutErrorHandler ( function ()

cat = catalog:buildSmartPreviews(photos)

end,'randomName')

The LrCatalog object that the below code snippet is returning has nil data type value when I am trying to display the output using LrDialogs.message() function.

• 1. Re: Publishing Smart Preview Catalogs to an online file Repository
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

In your code snippet, the return value for catalog:buildSmartPreviews() is a table, not an LrCatalog object.  See the documentation for catalog:buildingSmartPreviews ():

(table of arrays) A table with sub-arrays indicating the result of the smart preview build attempt. The sub-arrays are 'created', 'existed', and 'failed', and they contain LrPhoto objects corresponding to the photos for which the indicated status is appropriate.

Also, if the code looks like this:

local cat
          LrTasks.startAsyncTaskWithoutErrorHandler (function ()
              cat = catalog:buildSmartPreviews (photos)
               end, 'randomName')
          LrDialogs.message (...cat...)

Then the value of "cat" in line 5 may or may not have been assigned on line 3.  The task started on line 2 is an asynchronous thread that may not have even started execution when line 5 is reached.

The SDK requires that many of its calls must be executed in tasks other than the main task.  One common technique is to run your entire plugin in a task, so that you don't have to worry (as much) about this requirement.;

• 2. Re: Publishing Smart Preview Catalogs to an online file Repository
            rdsm Level 1

Hi johnrellis,

Thank you for your reply. You are correct, I believe that the message is popping up as soon as i click on publish and after that the asynchronous thread is getting executed.

I wish to first store the LrPhoto object (which is I assume is the Smart Preview Catalog) in a variable and then upload it to the repository. It is given that the function

catalog:buildSmartPreviews (photos)

can only be called from within an async function. How do I go about ensuring that i first recieve the value of the variable and then publish it

• 3. Re: Publishing Smart Preview Catalogs to an online file Repository
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Run your entire plugin code within a task:

local function main ()
                  ...all the work of your plugin...
                end

LrTasks.startAsyncTask (main, "main")

Then this code within main() should work:

local result = catalog:buildSmartPreviews (photos)
              ...access the contents of 'result'...

• 4. Re: Publishing Smart Preview Catalogs to an online file Repository
                rdsm Level 1

Hi John,

Thanks for helping me out..

Putting the function

exportServiceProvider.processRenderedPhotos( functionContext, exportContext )

within the main function does not execute it.

Also, its throwing an error when i put main inside processRenderedPhotos function.

For the moment, I have used LrTasks.sleep() but I would have to change it during testing.

Also,

local photos = {}

for i, rendition in exportContext:renditions { stopIfCanceled = true } do

local photo = rendition.photo

LrTasks.startAsyncTask(function ()

LrDialogs.message(type(photo:buildSmartPreview()),photo:buildSmartPreview(),"")

end)

LrTasks.sleep(3)

photo:deleteSmartPreview()

table.insert(photos, photo)

end

local catalog = exportSession.catalog

local result=  {}

local pic

LrTasks.startAsyncTask(function ()

result = catalog:buildSmartPreviews( photos )

for key,value in pairs(result.created) do

LrDialogs.message("key number of result.created "..key,"type of value of result.created "..type(value),"Info")

pic = value

local picName = pic:getFormattedMetadata(fileName)

local picLocation = pic:getFormattedMetadata(filePath)

LrDialogs.message(picName,picLocation,"")

end

end)

LrTasks.sleep(3)

I guess the following is happening:-

result = { "created" = { {} , {} .........} , "existed" = { {} , {} .........} , "failed" = { {} , {} .........} }

the number of keys of result.created is coming correct but all of them have nil values.