18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 10:54 AM by A.T. Romano

Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?

Csagej

Hi - I'm looking to buy a new (cost effective) computer to edit 5 min or less videos for YouTube. I was originally looking at Premier Pro and was told I needed to get one with a quad processor, otherwise rendering will take forever.  But I've realized I don't need Pro... Elements will do nicely for my work.  Is it still recommended I get a quad?  I know the basic system requirements say I only need a duo (dual) but how long does rendering take with that kind of processor?  Is it worth getting a quad instead?

Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a solid (reasonably priced) computer for this purpose I'd be forever grateful

Thanks in advance for the help!

• 1. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

csagej

What are the properties of the source media that you will be editing in Premiere Elements 13/13.1? What computer operating system? Are you going to be importing huge files and editing them down to 5 minutes in Premiere Elements or rather importing 5 minutes of video into the new project for editing and uploading to YouTube with the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature?

Is the computer to be used exclusively for video editing? Are you a gamer?

ATR

• 3. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Csagej

Thanks for the reply, but, for some reason, there was no message with the reply.

Please try again as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
              Csagej Level 1

Hi- I'll be using Elements 13. Most OS they are selling these days are Windows 7... So probably that. Im looking at PCs. And Ill be probably working with anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hr of footage shot from iphones and a canon HF R600 camcorder. And then cutting the footage down to shorter videos. (Obviously)

Thanks for replying so quickly

• 5. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                Csagej Level 1

Hi- I'll be using Elements 13. Most OS they are selling these days are Windows 7... So probably that. Im looking at PCs. And Ill be probably working with anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hr of footage shot from iphones and a canon HF R600 camcorder. And then cutting the footage down to shorter videos. (Obviously)

Thanks for replying so quickly

• 6. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Csagej

Thanks for the reply.  Although I still prefer Windows 7 64 bit but also have Windows 8.1 64 bit,  most of the computer being sold today I see as Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit. Some of those tablets being sold I see coming as Window 8 32 bit. Wide range. And, from what I understand, Microsoft is releasing Windows 10 at the end of July 2015.

The super video card/graphics cards have not been indicated for Premiere Elements because Premiere Elements does not support CUDA.

As for CUDA enabled GPU, perks of Premiere Pro....in a thread here PRE_help wrote

Premiere Elements 13 does not support CUDA.

We do support Intel based hardware acceleration on 64-bit Windows installations. If you have the Intel HD Graphics display adaptor, look for the version number. If it is Intel HD Graphics 2xxx, or above (3xxx, 4xxx, 5xxx), the following features are accelerated

1. Rendering

2. Publish/Share (MPEG and AVC presets)

This is governed by a setting in preferences (Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Use Hardware Acceleration... checkbox). It is turned ON by default.

This is only for the mentioned Intel hardware. Even if you have a nVidia/ATI display adaptor that is generally considered "more powerful", the feature will not work unless the supported Intel dsplay adaptor is available.

The above quote was from the following thread here Does the new version 13 include any support for CUDA or other graphics acceleration?

With regard to Timeline rendering times, it is often seen that the times for Timeline rendering or rendering as in export depends on the complexity of the segment/Timeline content and the computer resources.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/previewing-movies.html

ATR

• 7. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                    Csagej Level 1

Thank you so much for this info.  So I was recommended the ASUS G20AJ-US023S gaming desktop. I've included a link with the specs.  It does appear to have the nVidia Graphics but I cant tell if it would have an Intel HD graphics adaptor.  Would you be able to look at the specs and tell?

https://www.asus.com/Desktops/ROG_G20AJ/specifications/

Thank you so much again

• 8. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Csagej

Thanks for the reply, sounds like good progress. Get as much input from the computer people before making a final decision.

The computer that you pointed to appears to use just the NVIDIA GeForce card. Please stay away from using Premiere Elements 10 on that computer. There is a specific Premiere Elements 10 issue with any computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card. The solution is to roll back the driver version to about May 2015. Often the available older NVIDIA GeForce drivers are not old enough to make that fix. This specific issue should not apply to you if you will be using Premiere Elements 11, 12, or current version 13.

Some computers come with 2 video cards/graphics cards. That is not necessarily an advantage for Premiere Elements.

Try to determine what exactly you will be getting with your specific purchase. Those computer specification sheets can have features listed that you do not get unless you purchase a certain submodel of the parent model. Happened to me with Bluetooth and built in web cam SD vs HD.

If you are not involved in gaming, consider your choices so you do not go with an overkill on the computer in general and the video card/graphic card. Higher level of installed RAM and lots of free space are major focus points. Also, you might be interested in reading about SSDs and HDDs.

SSD vs. HDD: What's the Difference? | PCMag.com

When you install Premiere Elements, the typical recommendation is to install it to the default location on the Local Disk C.

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 9. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                        Csagej Level 1

Hi ATR,

So I tentatively purchased an HP Envy 700-414.  But when trying to save a test movie file with Elements, I'm running into the following problem:

When saving as an .mpeg file (on the desktop... not sure if that matters) it does not play video.  Saving the exact test movie as an AVCHD does not play audio.  I was simply following the tutorials guide on "Publish+Share" so cant tell if its the computer, the software, or user error.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 10. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Csagej

Thanks for the reply with your progress.

What are the properties of this test video that you are using to evaluate the computer and Premiere Elements? Where is this test video coming from?

1. What is the computer operating system that comes with your new computer? If is Window 8 or 8.1 64 bit, you could be running into a problem with Windows Media Player failure to playback video that uses MPEG2 compression. In that case, the user is left to download a player such a VCL and use that for the MPEG2.mpg playback.

a. first question, what computer operating system

b. second question, what video player

And then what is your export - Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG and then what preset?

2. How are you saving an AVCHD...to file, burn to DVD disc, other?

a. If to file, Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and then what preset?

b. What player are you using?

Let us start here, and then we can decide on troubleshooting strategy based on the details in your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                            Csagej Level 1

Hi ATR,

Yes it is Windows 8.1 64 bit and Windows media player for both. For the MPEG preset its: NTSC DVD Standard. For the AVCHD its: M2T-H264 1144x1080i 25.  Both were the default, so I didn't even think to change them.  Would a different preset produce a different result?

Thanks again for your help

• 12. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Csagej

Setting up the project is important to the outcome. So, let us put together what is needed in your specific case.

1. You have Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit computer.

2. What are you putting on that project's Timeline...

especially frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio as well as the rest which includes video compression, audio compression, interlaced or progressive.

Where is the file coming from? Telling us the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video might give us all that information.

3. You have two ways to go when you import source file into the project...

a. You use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline. At that point, the program analyzes the video and sets the project preset according to the video properties. Sometimes it does it right, sometimes not.

b. In the not cases, you set the project preset manually before you import the source file into the program - File Menu/New/Project. More information on that later.

So, this is what we need to know

1. Properties of your source file

2. Project settings being set if you are letting the project set the project preset...for that, please tell us the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out) found Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

We will continue once we have the above information.

Please consider. If any questions, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                                Csagej Level 1

Whoops- yes I forgot to tell you what I'm using: I'm shooting with both a Canon Vixia HF R600, and an iPhone 5c.

As for the iPhone footage :  Frame width = 1920; height=1080; data rate= 13304kbps; Audio Bit rate= 63 kbps Audio sample rate= 44kHz;Frame rate = 29 fps

Cannon:  Frame w= 1920;; height= 1080; data rate = 16631kbps; Frame rate = 29fps; Audio bit rate - 255kbps; Audio sample rate= 48 kHz

I'm not sure where to find: video compression, audio compression, interlaced or progressive for either source.

I'm letting the project set the preset which reads:

Editing mode: HD 1080i

Timebase: 29.97 fps

Frame Size: 1920 - horizontal 1080- vertical

Pixel aspect ratio: Square pixels 1.0

Thanks

• 14. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Csagej

Let us see if the following workflow works for you....

Open a new project to the Expert workspace.Go To File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

and close out of there.

In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project, and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting for This Project". Close out of there.

Back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag your Canon HF R600 to the project's Timeline.

Export that Timeline to

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

What kind of results do you get?

If that is successful, then we will introduce the iPhone 5c video into the project after we put it through the free HandBrake program to get a H.264.mp4 version with a constant frame rate of 29.97 progressive frames per second. But, do not do anything with the iPhone 5c video until we see the results from the Canon HF R600 video export.

Looking forward to the results as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 15. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                                    Csagej Level 1

HOORAY!! It worked!! You're a genius!!!

Thank you ~ thank you  Thank you!!

• 16. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Csagej

Great news. You did a great job in sorting through the details to success.

Did you do just the first part where you worked with just the Canon footage or did you get to including the iPhone video also?

If you did add the iPhone video, did you take it into HandBrake first to get the H.264.mp4 version with a constant rather than variable frame rate?

We will be watching for further progress as your time permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 17. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                                        Leem6453

Wow, excellent customer service Csagej.  I produce Youtube videos as well.  I'm a movie reviewer (Drumdums).  One thing that has always saved me headaches is to look at the properties of my source and match it as closely possible.  I haven't a single issue yet by using that approach.  I use a Canon T5i for my video and I always set it to 1080p, 30 fps.  I use the same setting for the output  when I publish to Youtube.

Like you, I recently bought a new computer for just editing.  It was an Asus ROG GL551 JW-DS71 (Intel i7 2.6 Ghz, 16GB RM, NVIDIA 960M, 1 TB HD), and it has been running swimmingly so far.

Good luck on your vids!

Lee

• 18. Re: Do I need a quad processor for rendering with Adobe Premier Elements?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Lee

Thanks for your comments in Csagej's thread.

I just saw another of your comments in another thread of another and have responded to it. But in all that you have written, what version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

In your YouTube work, does your Timeline content estimated file size and duration routinely exceed that of the Premiere Elements' built in YouTube feature limits? Therefore are you routinely just using Premiere Elements to create a file (AVCHD.mp4) saved to the computer hard drive and then uploading that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site, using a YouTube extended account?

Glad to learn of your success in your Premiere Elements projects.

Best wishes

ATR