8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2015 8:31 PM by A.T. Romano

Anybody else have problems with creating wmv files in Premiere Elements 7?

daled3111581

I have used Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7 to create slide programs with music background successfully in the past.  Now when I create a program that works perfectly in Elements 7 and want to burn it on a DVD, I'm having problems with the wmv file that Premiere Elements 7 creates.  The music in the wmv file is fine but some of the photo images show up as solid black rather than as the photo that is in the program.  Any suggestions as to why this is happening when it had always worked perfectly for me in the past?

• 1. Re: Anybody else have problems with creating wmv files in Premiere Elements 7?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

dated

If the Elements Organizer 7 Slideshow is destined for Premiere Elements 7 anyway, why not use the Elements Organizer 7 Slideshow Editor Output option = Sent to Premiere Elements (the non wmv way) so that you bypass any wmv file?

But, the problem with the writing of the wmv file in the Elements Organizer 7 Slideshow Editor may be indicative of other fundamental problems in the slideshow content.

1. What is in this slideshow

a. photos - pixel dimensions (width and height in pixels) and how many photos?

2. Are you planning on doing further edits of the slideshow in Premiere Elements 7 Editor or are you using Premiere Elements 7 just to burn the wmv to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

3. If you play back the wmv using a computer player, do you see these black files?

4. What are you presently using for the Elements Organizer 7 Slideshow Editor Output - Save As File Movie (.wmv) or Burn to Disc?

Please give more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Anybody else have problems with creating wmv files in Premiere Elements 7?
            daled3111581 Level 1

Thanks for responding.  Here are my responses to your questions:

1) My slide show contains 165 photo images set for 4 seconds/photo with 1 second fade intervals = 11 minutes running time.  I added the music to fit the running time.  (The photos are the same pixle size that I’ve always used successfully in this program in the past.)

2) I’m not doing any further editing in Premiere 7, just using it to burn the program to a DVD.

3) The wmv file played on my computer shows the same black photo files as when I play the DVD.

4) When I finish creating the slide show in Elements Organizer, I save it, and then in Output, click on Burn to Disc.

You said that the problem may be with the writing of the wmv file, which I definitely think is the problem.  When I click on Burn to Disc, it automatically starts to create the wmv file and does not offer the option of not creating the file.  How can I send it from Elements to Premiere and bypass the wmv file creation to burn it to a DVD?  Thanks

Dale Dufour

• 3. Re: Anybody else have problems with creating wmv files in Premiere Elements 7?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dale Dufour

You write that the photos are the same pixel size that you have always used. But what exactly is that?

With your slideshow as is...no changing of photo pixel dimensions for this phase of the troubleshooting...

1. In the Elements Organizer workspace double click the Slideshow Project thumbnail  which represents the slideshow that you saved to the Elements Organizer as Slideshow Project (no output yet). When the Slideshow Editor Editor opens, go to Output and select Send to Premiere Elements.  The slideshow ends up as a whole video (.psess) non wmv. in the Premiere Elements workspace.

a. If you wanted to do further edits of the slideshow in the Premiere Elements Editor, right click the Timeline whole video version (.psess), select Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow. It is done. Timeline content ready for significant additional editing.

b. If you did not want further edits, you can move on from the edit area to disc menus to apply menus, followed by the burn to disc in Share/Disc/DVD.

Based on history, it is likely that you have too many oversized photo (in spite of your previous successful workflows) which created a problem

a. writing the wmv slideshow

and/or

b. transferring it from Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor to Premiere Elements Editor where it bypasses the edit area and goes to the burn to features.

Please consider. If any questions or need clarification, please ask.

We will decide what next based on the details of your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Anybody else have problems with creating wmv files in Premiere Elements 7?
                daled3111581 Level 1

Most of my photos are pretty high resolution, anywhere from 5mb to 15mb.  ixel dimensions range from 2816 x 2112 to 6000 x 4000.

Dale Dufor

• 5. Re: Anybody else have problems with creating wmv files in Premiere Elements 7?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dale Dufor

You are working with a 32 bit application when you are working with Premiere Elements 7/Elements Organizer 7, so you are going to get into trouble stressing out the program with those photo pixel dimensions which are grossly oversized for the project destined for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Importing high resolution photos is not going to get you better results, only stress out the program.

If you are going for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, the frame size is 720 x 480. You will see the classical recommendation of 1000 x 750 not to exceed for the photo  pixel dimensions which would apply to DVD-VIDEO on DVD situation.

The ones for 2816 x 2112 4:3 are OK aspect ratio wise. But if your issue exists, then resize to the not to exceed 1000 x 750 4:3. The 6000 x 4000 is 3:2 should be cropped resized to obtain photo pixel dimension with the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Please consider and then we can talk about this some more. I know that you have done what you are doing before successfully, but this is a classical story. But we will not take anything for granted and continue to rule in and out factors in the troubleshooting according to your details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Anybody else have problems with creating wmv files in Premiere Elements 7?
                    daled3111581 Level 1

Thank you for your recommendations.  In the next few days I’ll get back on the project and reduce the pixel size of the photos and see if that doesn’t solve my problem.  I’ll let you know how it turns out next week.

Dale Dufour

• 7. Re: Anybody else have problems with creating wmv files in Premiere Elements 7?
                      daled3111581 Level 1

ATR: Happy to report that following your suggestions, I resized all 165 images to a smaller pexel size and was able to burn the slide show program to a DVD.  Thanks for all the help.then

Dale Dufour

• 8. Re: Anybody else have problems with creating wmv files in Premiere Elements 7?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Dale Dufour

Wonderful news. We are so glad for your success. Great job.

Thanks for exploring the suggestions and sharing your results with us.

Best wishes.

ATR