1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2015 3:38 PM by A.T. Romano

Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?

Dakar1967

My lovely blacks in the original media and in the editing window turn into a dark grey in the rendered files, irrespective of the format I render to, or the program I play the rendered file in.

Below is screen grab showing edit window on the left, and playback within Quicktime on the right.

Contrast example.jpg

Any clues ?

• 1. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dont use the Quicktime player for viewing footage.

It has a well known gamma issue.

Better is to use the VLC player or something simular.

• 2. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
            Dakar1967 Level 1

It looks just as bad with VLC. I've tried the gamma adjustment edit before rendering but the playback looks just as grey ...

• 3. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?

I assume this is a text made in the titler?

what is your project settings and what are your export settings?

• 4. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                Dakar1967 Level 1

That's a title slide I created in MS Powerpoint and then saved as a JPG. ( I find the titling function in PE10 quite difficult to use ).

The rest of the content is still images in JPG, and video in .mov , and suffers from the same lack of contrast

Project setting :

Editing mode DSLR 30FPS
                Capture format HDV
                Video Render default settings ( Maximum Bit Depth unchecked ) ( Optimise Stills checked )

Rendering as AVCHD, MP4-H264 1920 x 1080 30 FPS

Appreciate your help.

• 5. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?

Just for test: uncheck Optimize Stills

And also a test does a title made in PE10 also loose contrast?

• 6. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Dakar1967

Premiere Elements 10 on what computer operating system? And, what Premiere Elements 10 workspace are you working in - Timeline workspace or Sceneline workspace? What is the video card/graphics card that your computer uses - NVIDIA GeForce?

At the onset, please confirm that you do not see the issue in the Expert workspace Timeline. You see it only in Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 export file playback. You appear to have said that at the onset.

Further you wrote

That's a title slide I created in MS PowerPoint and then saved as a JPG. ( I find the titling function in PE10 quite difficult to use ).

For important troubleshooting information, I would ask you to create a title with gleaming white text in the Premiere Elements 10 Timeline workspace Titler, use it in the same project where you are using the Microsoft PowerPoint title (black slide with white text), and do your usual workflow. Do both titles lose their gleaming white in the export playback?

For your convenience, I would offer the following for creating a Premiere Elements10 title in the project's Titler

1. Timeline workspace

2. Title Menu/New Title/Default Still

3. Type your text with white font and click Done to close the Titler...the black in this instance will represent transparency and not the color black.

4. In the process, the title is placed automatically on the Timeline at the position of the Timeline Indicator.

Please indicate where in that process you are running into problems.

Bottom line: Using my Premiere Elements10 on Windows 7 64 bit Intel HD Graphics, same project preset and export settings as yours, I saw no difference in Timeline quality  (whiteness) for titles from either source. I used default settings for Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30. Playback on QuickTime, Window Media Player, and VLC Player.

Please review and consider and let me know if you can spot a difference in what I did (white text remained white in export)  versus what you did (gray instead of white text in export).

Any questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                      Dakar1967 Level 1

I'll check this and revert, thanks for your assistance

• 8. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Dakar1967

I just noted that Ann Bens has also asked you to do a test using a Premiere Elements 10 made title. I did not see that until just now (after I had posted - post 6). I did see the part about optimizing still. That did not matter in my results which could not confirm your findings.

Just a reminder, along with your other results, it would be important to know if your computer uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                          Dakar1967 Level 1

Uncheck and titles.jpg

Hi Ann -

I unchecked the 'optimise stills' box in project settings, and tested a title from within PE10 as opposed to the JPEG I'd created for titles. I'm still losing contrast, or losing decent blacks which ever way you want to look at it. ( See the above screen grab showing the difference between the edit screen in PE10 against playback after rendering. ( Yes the playback was made with Quicktime, but it looks just the same in VLC )

• 10. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?

Can you make a screendump with VLC as player?

• 11. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                              Dakar1967 Level 1

Hi AT

I'm running Premier Elements 10 on Windows 7 Home Premium,

System is Intel i7 - 2600K CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 16GB Ram, 64 Bit Operating System.

Graphics Card :Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX570 OC 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-E

I work in both the timeline and sceneline view depending on what I'm editing, but the screen shots I've posted earlier are exactly the same between both views anyways.

Yes, I'm working in the Expert workspace Timeline. ( I don't think there is a quick view in PE10 is there ? )

I've just tried two additional options , unfortunately both at the same time so I'm not sure of thier individual effect;

1- Check the Maximum Bit Depth in General Settings for Video Render, and

2- Selected Render Work Area while in the Timeline view

Yes, VLC does do it better than QT Ann Bens, but even with VLC you can see my black has turned grey compare to what I was looking at in my work space before rendering . In fact if you look at the VLC screenshot even the black strip on the right hand side is outside of the playing area and is a much better black.

This has to something in the settings, but I'm at a loss as to which one it could be be.....

Combined.jpg

I want my Blacks back !

Thanks for your help in advance

Jeremy

• 12. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeremy

Thanks for the important information in your latest post.

If you have Premiere Elements 10 on a computer with a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card, you should have a major known display issue related specifically to Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce. When an old enough NVIDIA GeForce driver version exists, the answer is to roll back the driver version to about May 2013.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE10: NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

If we plug your information into the NVIDIA older drivers search list, we see

NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search

NVIDIAolder.JPG

It would appear that the oldest available driver version is typically not old enough. But, you can try for the latest of the old to determine if you can find one that works for you. Is it possible that your video card/graphics card is set for automatic updating and that triggered display problems? Please remind us when and if this problem did not exist for you with Premiere Elements 10 in the present computer environment. What type of projects did you do and are now doing SD vs HD project settings.

Based on history, the above needs to be explored in your specific computer environment. (My Premiere Elements 10 is on Windows 7 and 8.1, each computer uses an Intel HD Graphics video card/graphics card, not NVIDIA. No problems.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?

There is nothing wrong with your computer.

You will have to except tha QT has a gamma shift.

It not just the black it the overall picture. Even the black in PE10 is not pure black

If you take color samples of the green and other colors its the same shift.

In VLC its much less noticeable.

• 14. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeremy

Continuation of my post numbered 12....

We will not know if there is anything wrong with your computer until after you actually rule in or out the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce very well known issue.

Accepting comes from ruling in or out all known factors.

For troubleshooting purposes only at this time, please consider downloading and installing the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 13 from Adobe and going through the same paces that you are going through now with Premiere Elements 10. This will be the same computer with the same QuickTime, VLC, and other players. Do you get the same results within Premiere Elements 13 and with playback of the export?

Another critical thought is whether your issue is one that "it worked before but not now" versus "it never worked before". Please verify which one applies to your issue.

Thank you.

ATR

• 15. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                      Dakar1967 Level 1

Hi Ann

Appreciate your assistance, however I'm not at all happy with the significant degradation after rendering. The end result is AWFUL ! I'm going to keep looking for an answer, or look for a different software solution.

VLC Comp.jpg

• 16. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?

This has nothing to do with Elements. Its the players.

• 17. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                          Dakar1967 Level 1

Well you just might just have a point, I burnt a DVD out of PE10 and it plays beautifully on my 42' Flat Panel TV. Decent blacks and good definition. I guess that comes with the greater data involved ?

When I upload to Youtube I'd getting the same degradation which is really annoying !

Do you know of a player which CAN give me decent blacks ?

What is the reason that it looks perfectly black in the original file and editing window of PE10, but looks so bad after rendering ?

• 18. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                            Dakar1967 Level 1

Hi AT

As it happens the GeForce driver hadn't updated at all, and I took it from 311.06 to 353.06  - but no improvements resulted.

What exactly is the issue you are referring to ?

I'm going to try PE 13 Trial and see if there's a difference, will let you know

Jeremy

• 19. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?

Again its not just the blacks: it the overall color (gamma).

I use VLC and am content with the result.

YT is for quantity not quality. Think you are better off with Vimeo.

I would suggest uploading manually: export first then upload.

• 20. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeremy

Thanks for the reply.

We will be looking forward to your results from the troubleshooting comparing the 10 and 13 results in the same computer environments and players.

The answer to the issue with Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce is not improved updating the NVIDIA GeForce driver version, probably brings on the issues associated with this syndrome. If you are involved in this issue, history is that rolling back the driver version is the answer. And, the successful roll back has gone to as far back as May 2013. But, as I mentioned in my last post

Another critical thought is whether your issue is one that "it worked before but not now" versus "it never worked before". Please verify which one applies to your issue.

If you are saying that you started this thread with the 311.06 driver version, I would not expect this Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue to apply to you since I am guess-estimating that 311.06 has a dating of earlier than May 2013 (about version 320). Updating from 311.06 to 353.06 would be expected to bring on the Premiere Elements/NVIDIA GeForce issues to which I have been referring.

I have given the history on this matter of Premiere Elements  10/NVIDIA GeForce in post 12. You ask

What exactly is the issue you are referring to ?

The signs of this issue have included an assortment of display (obvious and subtle) and performance issues within Premiere Elements 10 especially

for the HD projects. And, as you have read from the reports on this matter, the problem in some form has not been escaped if you have Premiere Elements 10 running on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce card with a latest driver version.

The intent of my posts has been to rule known contributory factors in or out of your problem equation before using all the valuable information in your thread to make your decision as to cause and effect. Your latest information

As it happens the GeForce driver hadn't updated at all, and I took it from 311.06 to 353.06

is very valuable as indicated. And, even if all leads you to the player target in this white/gray text matter, you are expected to have the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce syndrome if your computer is using an updated NVIDIA GeForce

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks for exploring the comments.

ATR

• 21. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                  Dakar1967 Level 1

Hi Ann

I know it's not just the blacks ! I'm just using that as an indicator, as the whole file is similarly affected.( My approach is that if I can get the black and white nice and clean, then the rest of the images will clean up as well )

With respect to manual uploading to Vimeo or Youtube, which output file type do think has the highest quality?

Cheers

Jeremy

• 23. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeremy

Just a note about your upcoming exporting of your Timeline to .mp4 file for upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site. Have you been uploading progressive or interlaced video?

I would agree that a file with a .mp4 file extension is a good choice for the file to upload to YouTube, but please consider including the following details....

1. In Premiere Elements 10 Share/, there are two ways to export a file with a .mp4 file extension

a. Share/Mobile Phones and Players/Apple iPod, IPad, and iPhone and then one of the MP4 presets. Result is a H.264.mp4 file. You will most likely have to customize the preset under its Advanced Button/Video Tab since the default settings are not expected to be consistent with your project settings.

b. Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = YouTube Widescreen HD (which is for 1280 x 720 @ 24 progressive frames per second).

If you you have a 1920 x 1080 project, I would go with MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 if you are using NTSC frame rate; MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25 if you are using PAL frame rate. This will give you an AVCHD (MP4 AVC/H.264).mp4 file for your up load to YouTube. Under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset, please see suggested NTSC settings

AVCHDexportYT.JPG

Remember, if your video goes over the limit of 15 minutes, you will need to get an extended time account from YouTube at the YouTube web site.

Looking forward to your results (as your schedule permits) as well as learning if you followed through on comparing Premiere Elements 10 and Premiere Elements 13 results with regard to your issue.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...About your great burn to DVD that you mentioned in post 17...was that burn to DVD for DVD-VIDEO or AVCHD format? And, was the burn to disc done while your computer was using the 311.06 or 353.07 driver version for your NVIDIA GeForce?

• 24. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                      Dakar1967 Level 1

Hi AT

Something of a watershed moment I believe. ( Although the problem still exists )

I tested the same workflow on my very standard PC at work ( which uses Intel HD Graphics video card/graphics card) , and got PERFECT render results using PE13 trial version. ( I.e., the edit window in PE13 compared to the rendered file played back on VLC was virtually identical, decent black and clean white )

This is screen grab from my work PC:

PM13.jpg

When I played the same file on my PC at home, I got the same inferior results as per my original issue ( Not very good black and dirty whites )

This is a screen grab from my home PC comparing :
                                                      Top left = Edit Window PE13 on Work PC
                                                      Top Right = VLC Playback window on Work PC
                                                      Bottom middle = VLC Playback window on Home PC ( Where I'm having the issues )

Combined.jpg

( And just before you ask, I did download the trial version of PE13 on my home PC and repeated the same workflow and got the same inferior render result )

I'm starting to think this does in fact have something to do with my Graphics Card as you've pointed out. ( And I'm glad I didn't spend $100 on purchasing PE13 to find that out ! )

Do you think a driver roll back for the NVIDIA graphics card might in fact do the trick ?. ( Right now I'm asking myself how such a problem can exist when I thought I'd purchased a premium graphics card option in my custom built PC ! )

Is there an alternative graphics card for me to consider which would not have this problem ?

Many thanks

Jeremy

• 25. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeremy

Thanks for the update and following through on the suggestions.

Very interesting results. Not taking anything for granted,

1. What is the difference between the VLC Player home computer versus work computer? Is the version the same?

Without throwing too many variables into the troubleshooting, it is worthwhile to uninstall reinstall VLC player at home to make the home work VLC versions the same.?

2. What is the NVIDIA GeForce driver version that existed when you did these latest tests? If the latest version, the roll back would be a consideration.

But, did you not say that the problem existed even when the driver version was 311.06? If so, I am not seeing much hope for the NVIDIA GeForce when Premiere Elements 10 is involved. And, now matters become more complicated with this latest development where 13 is OK on the work computer (Intel) and not the home computer (NIVIDIA GeForce). Based on the profile of Premiere Elements 10/NIVIDA GeForce, Premiere Elements 13 should not present with your issue when we use the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce model. Perhaps time for a consult with NVIDIA regarding possible alternative settings for your present card.

3. Premiere Elements does not require any special super driver like Premiere Pro. You can talk up what alternative driver with ATI or Intel or computer manufacturer. But, consider the cost and if a money back guarantee comes with the purchase of the card. Does the home computer use 1 or 2 video cards/graphics cards? See Device Manager/Display Adapters/ and the cards listed there.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 26. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                          Dakar1967 Level 1

Hi AT - It seems I've found a fix on another forum  ( Contrast loss when converting mts file using Movie Maker - Microsoft Community )

By changing the dynamic range setting with the NIVIDA control panel it seems to have restored 'balance to the force' as far as my contrast is concerned. By selecting Full range as opposed to the default limited range, all has been cured !

Control Panel.jpg

Full Setting.jpg

I think we can confirm this one case closed, and I thank you for the time you've given me in terms of investigating a solution.

Cheers

Jeremy

• 27. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?

If you want to spend money, get yourself a GTX card .

A video editing machine works better with a separate videocard.

• 28. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeremy

Just starting my day, and very glad to learn of your progress.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Much appreciated.

Best wishes

ATR

• 29. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                                Dakar1967 Level 1

But I do have a GTX card ! ( Just saying )

• 30. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?

Sorry I thought i read a Intel HD card....

• 31. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                                    Dakar1967 Level 1

Hi ATR

Just when I thought my problems were over, Adobe ( or my evil PC ) throws another curve ball.

I can no longer see any content in the preview window, or when I play media files directly within PE10.  ( See Screenshot ).

Is this because I've opened the same .prel file with the trial version of PE13 ? ( I've also tested other .prel files that hadn't been opened with the PE13 trial version, and they show the same issue )

By the way, within the trial version of PE13, the preview and individual files played perfectly. ( Makes me think Adobe is forcing the upgrade upon me ! )

Yes, I rendered the timeline, and also deleted the rendered timeline to see if that made any difference.

Thanks in advance for your help

Jeremy

No preview.jpg

• 32. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeremy

Thanks for the update. This is going to sound like "Deja vu all over again", but what video card/graphics card is your computer using - NVIDIA GeForce? If NVIDIA GeForce, what driver version?

My recollection is that you adjusted the NVIDIA GeForce settings but are still using NVIDIA GeForce for the computer on which you are running Premiere Elements 10.

Are your projects SD or HD?

ATR

• 33. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                                        Dakar1967 Level 1

Hi ATR

The only change ( Apart from accessing the same .prel file using a trial version of PE13 ), was selecting wide dynamic range on the NVIDIA control panel in order to get better contrast.

I'm still using the same GPU Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX570

Most recent driver: 353.06

No other settings changed

Project in HD

• 34. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeremy

Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA GeForce most recent driver version has not been good news for a very long time. Lots of display issues that I have mentioned and written about previously.

Any chance you would look at a NVIDIA GeForce driver version roll back to around May 2013. And, if you can, leave the card adjusts as is. I am not sure if this is going to end up with lose one thing gain another.

Looking forward to your observations.

ATR

• 35. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?

Best is to set that color setting (dont know what it is in English as I am on a different language for OS) to default instead of letting Nvidia choose.

• 36. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                                              Dakar1967 Level 1

Thanks ATR

I'll try that once I'm home again and report back.

Cheers

Jeremy

From: A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

To: Jeremy Andrews <andrews_jeremy@yahoo.com.au>

Sent: Friday, 26 June 2015 9:43 AM

Subject:  Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussionJeremy Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA GeForce most recent driver version has not been good news for a very long time. Lots of display issues that I have mentioned and written about previously. Any chance you would look at a NVIDIA GeForce driver version roll back to around May 2013. And, if you can, leave the card adjusts as is. I am not sure if this is going to end up with lose one thing gain another. Looking forward to your observations. ATR If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7691893#7691893 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7691893#7691893 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 37. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?

Might want to check Nvidia for the latest driver. One was just released a few days ago.

• 38. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                                                  Dakar1967 Level 1

Hi Ann

Default setting is unfortunately not an option, as that gives the low contrast results that started this thread in the first place.

JA

From: Ann Bens <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Sent: Friday, 26 June 2015 9:45 AM

created by Ann Bens in Premiere Elements - View the full discussionBest is to set that color setting (dont know what it is in English as I am on a different language for OS) to default instead of letting Nvidia choose. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7692086#7692086 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7692086#7692086 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 39. Re: Why do I lose contrast as a result of rendering in PE10 ?
                                                                                    Dakar1967 Level 1

Hi Ann

I'm going to try both ways.

I.e., Latest driver, and driver roll back as ATR has suggested.

Will let you know the outcome.

Cheers

Jeremy

From: Ann Bens <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Sent: Friday, 26 June 2015 9:52 AM

created by Ann Bens in Premiere Elements - View the full discussionMight want to check Nvidia for the latest driver. One was just released a few days ago. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7692088#7692088 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7692088#7692088 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

1 2 Previous Next