5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2015 7:40 AM by deejjjaaaa

Camera Raw pipette calibrated to skin tone

mikav49284061

Hallo,

is it somehow possible to calibrate the camera raw 9.0 pipette to a chosen skin tone instead of neutral grey?

Capture One pro 8 has this very useful feature to their pipette. You can choose from different skin tones.

Or is their another nice way to achieve the same thing?

Best regards,

Mika

• 1. Re: Camera Raw pipette calibrated to skin tone
          deejjjaaaa Level 2

yes, for example CurveMeister plug-in for PS... it is actually way better that primitive "pick skin tone" tool in C1 which is operating in R/G/B domain... because operating with skin in HSV mode where you can decouple hue from saturation from brightness and pin them separetely is the right way to deal with... using RGB is plain stupid, even Lab is better

• 2. Re: Camera Raw pipette calibrated to skin tone
            mikav49284061 Level 1

Thank you very much for the Curvemeister hint. Sound very good. I will try the demo version.

I like the pins that I could create myself to calibrate to for example skin tones.

BUT it's made for Photoshop and not for the Raw Converter.

I would like to do the adjustments as far as possible in Camera Raw.

Best regards,
            mika

• 3. Re: Camera Raw pipette calibrated to skin tone
              deejjjaaaa Level 2

yes, but if you have ACR that means that you have PS (PSE) in the first place - granted it in extra step, yes... but again - pinning a separate component like hue is much more tuned approach vs pinning all RGB at once... C1 of course has other goodies like Color Editor that (functionality) might be very much welcome in ACR too (it is a more refined than HSL adjustments in ACR + you can save adjustments as genuine camera profiles as opposite to recipes)...

• 4. Re: Camera Raw pipette calibrated to skin tone
                Ruben Carmona

The right tool for this purpose would be to create your own color presets generated with a color reference card like the SpyderCheckr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq2DfcELHIM

• 5. Re: Camera Raw pipette calibrated to skin tone
                  deejjjaaaa Level 2

presets won't help you if you want this particular spot to have a particular hue... because presets provide __relative__ adjustments (they add constant corrections to existing values), pinning - makes them absolute (add variable adjustment to move existing values to desired absolute numbers)... see the difference ? with preset if you have different starting points you are inevitably arriving to different end results with pinning all different starting points converge to the same, ___DESIRED__ end result... saving HSL adjustments as presets is not the right mechanism, unless you have constant starting color across many raw files, so you constant corrections + constant starting point will least to the same end result, this might be true for a controlled studio session - but does not work outside of that... plus with pinning you select which spot skin-wise you want to use as the base for your variable adjustment