5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2015 1:44 AM by Vamitul

Footnote ongoing

dhafirp16891848 Level 1

2.jpg1.jpg

I want to put a sign in place cut footnote to indicate the presence of complement in the next page

• 1. Re: Footnote ongoing
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's a difficult one. ID scripting does not provide any straightforward way of knowing how many text frames a footnote flows into. You may need a C++ plugin rather than scripting for this.

• 2. Re: Footnote ongoing
            dhafirp16891848 Level 1

OOh my God

• 3. Re: Footnote ongoing
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It may be possible to get a script to go line by line through all the lines in all footnotes, checking the baseline. If the baseline of the next line is higher than or equals to the baseline of the previous line, that would imply, in most cases -- especially if we're talking about regular book typesetting, and not more complicated magazine layouts -- that the line is in a different text frame.

• 4. Re: Footnote ongoing
                dhafirp16891848 Level 1

I don't think it will work correctly!

• 5. Re: Footnote ongoing
                  Vamitul Level 4

TᴀW wrote:

It may be possible to get a script to go line by line through all the lines in all footnotes, checking the baseline. If the baseline of the next line is higher than or equals to the baseline of the previous line, that would imply, in most cases -- especially if we're talking about regular book typesetting, and not more complicated magazine layouts -- that the line is in a different text frame.

You are very very close TaW..
                  Just that instead of testing the baselines, you need to test the parentTextFrames[0] of the lines.

var lines=myFn.lines.everyItem().getElements();
                  for (var i=0;i<lines.length-1;i++){
                   if(lines[i].parentTextFrames[0]!==lines[i+].parentTextFrames[0]){ //we have a split footnote here
                     addMarkerAtEndOfLine(lines[i]);
                     addMarkerArStartOfLine(lines[i+1]);
                   }
                  }

Things will get a bit more complicated if it is a multiple columns layout, but it is still doable.