• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fill and sign performance issue

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do software testing for our enterprise environment before we deploy to our users. Fill and Sign is a feature that was long overdue and it's finally here. While I am happy at the performance of the new Reader DC reader and Acrobat DC opening and loading documents is much improved, but there is one area where I don't understand why there's a marked difference between Acrobat DC and Reader DC. I am testing using a Surface Pro tablet with Windows 8.1 and it's included stylus. When you use the Fill and Sign tool, drawing a signature in Acrobat DC works beautiful. The signature drawing comes out great and it feels very natural to draw, sign, and use handwriting. However, in Reader DC, using the same exact document, drawing the signature has a terrible lag, and it misses strokes, as a result the signature has barely any resemblance to what it is supposed to look like. That is unless you draw the signature really really slow to give time to the software to catch up to the curves as you draw with the stylus. It makes the Fill and Sign feature virtually useless. I tried the same thing on my desktop PC using the mouse and I noticed the same lag on Reader DC, but on Acrobat DC there is no lag and works great. I hope the software engineering team is aware of this problem in Reader DC and a solution is on the way, unless this is somehow a plot to steer people away from the free reader software and compel them to buy the license for Acrobat DC. Ironically, the web plugin for Adobe Cloud Reader does not have this lag problem. I just thought that was strange. Anyone else noticing the same problem?

Grammar error in a sentence has been corrected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Well, the good news is that I have reproduced the issue on another machine, however as you noted it is very odd where and under what conditions it can be reproduced so it may be a challenge to fix but we're investigating it now.

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mveras1972,

I Understand your concern and i will recommend you to use the following link to post your feedback, and i am sure our engineering team will look into the issue.

Feedback form Link : Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Regards,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Report has been submitted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mario;  The engineering team reviews the forum posts here and is here to help.  I'll look into what you've reported and get back to you here.

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mario;

We have two Surface Pro 3 here for testing and are not able to reproduce the issues you've described, Reader and Acrobat performance when using the Signature feature in Fill & Sign is the same in both.

I'd recommend trying to uninstall and re-install Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and see if that fixes things...  Let me know how that goes, otherwise if the computer is provided by your company see if the IT department can look into it, I have a feeling this is unique to your system or a setting/configuration, maybe IT could help determine the cause.

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josh,

Thanks for taking the time to reproduce the problem. I would suggest, starting with a clean install of Adobe Reader DC only and do not install Acrobat Pro on the Surface. I have discovered that when you have both Reader DC and Acrobat Pro DC installed, the problem may not affect Reader anymore. However, on my desktop PC, even with both versions installed, there is still a noticeable lag on Reader only. I can make a screen capture video to show the problem with both versions running at the same time and comparing the difference in performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screen capture would be good, thanks. 

Where are you installing Adobe Acrobat Reader DC from?  You are not using a Pre-release build are you?  Just in case make sure you are getting the latest from get.adobe.com/reader

Are you signed into both Acrobat and Reader?

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh,

Due to corporate compliance, we have customized the installer for both Reader and Pro to not install the Adobe Cloud component. So the package we have has an MST modifier which we created using the Adobe Customization Wizard. I've got both installers recently from Adobe.com, therefore they must be the latest versions, unless an update has been released in the past couple of weeks.

You can see the version numbers I am using in this video I just captured:

Click here for video

The crosshair when drawing the signature is very hard to see, but you can make out how much further ahead I am from the drawing as it slowly draws itself on the screen trying to catch up with me. Then you can see how much faster I can draw in the Pro version. The PC I am using to record the video is a Dell 9020, 8GB RAM with Core i5 CPU on Windows 7 64-bit. Fairly fast machine. The other computer I am using is the MS Surface. I can do the test on a third computer to compare results.

Thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For clarification - the video was using Acrobat and Reader on the same machine and you can reproduce this in both your desktop machine and Surface Pro now?  If that is the case I assume the "pen" input isn't related and it can be reproduced using finger or mouse?  I'll experiment more with the customization options to see if that helps reproduce your issue. 

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video I took happens on the same screen on the same computer, just two windows side by side. This is the desktop PC. The apparent difference in performance between the Reader and Pro version running at the same time on the same PC leads me to think there is something different between them.

On the MS Surface Pro 2, the problem existed when I had Reader only installed. Then, the problem stopped on the Reader after I installed the Pro version, and so now both Reader and Pro versions on the Surface Pro 2 are fine. I then proceeded to uninstall the Pro version, and the Reader still performed nice and fast. Then, I removed the Reader and reinstalled it, so now the Surface has only the Reader installed, but I am unable to reproduce the problem on the Surface.

I then borrowed another MS Surface, this time the Surface Pro 3, and I installed only the Reader, and I am unable to reproduce the problem. So in the end, what happened consistently on two devices, now happens only on one. Strange stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the good news is that I have reproduced the issue on another machine, however as you noted it is very odd where and under what conditions it can be reproduced so it may be a challenge to fix but we're investigating it now.

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! That's good to know. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josh, have you found a solution to this problem, because I have the same problem with acrobat standard dc 2015.006.30119 version on 2 TAB10 lenovo tablet with Windows 10 Pro are equipped with active stylus wacom. Writing with the stylus is very fluid in the other application.

Thank Jimmy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jimmy, it is still something we are looking into.

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. In fact, I have the issue on 3 separate surface pro 3's. Is there another thread where this is addressed (and maybe even resolved)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that ended up fixing it for me was turning off Windows Ink in the Wacom control panel. Given that you're using a Surface Pro, rather than a Wacom device, I'm not sure what the resolution might be unless there is an equivalent setting available to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not, this is still an open issue.

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi!  sames issue on Surface Pro 4, with clean install of latest version of Adobe..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this Josh, we have found the same on Lenovo Yoga thinkpads, same on all 6 we have, excellent inking in Office apps, but very poor performance in reader, very noticable lag. Really annoying as we bought the tablets specifically to sign pdf forms we make in Acrobat Pro.

Thanks

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm sorry I do not have an update.  I'll reach out to the team who owns this to see if they can provide any update.

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Josh,

Do you know if this same issue exists in Acrobat DC or DC Pro? I can't use or recommend Reader DC due to this, but would consider upgrading from Acrobat X to DC if I was certain that it would not screw up the inking feature.

Thanks,

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is not exclusive to Reader.

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I have a brand new Surface Book and have Acrobat Reader DC installed. Signatures using the pen, finger, or USB tablet all lag terribly and don't resemble a real signature. This worked fine on my Dell laptop.

Just installed Acrobat X to try out and it works perfectly.

Whatever the cause it is not associated with one person's  hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More info on my Surface Book. When I use an external monitor the screen resolution is by necessity dropped from 3000x2000 to 1920 x 1080. And the lag problem goes away entirely.

My guess is that this is related to the graphics card or hardware acceleration, but it does not seem possible to turn  those off on the surface book.

Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2016 Jun 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is definitely not exclusive to Surface tablets, or DC Reader. I'm using Adobe Acrobat DC Pro on Windows 10, and the input lag and missed strokes when using my Wacom to mark up documents is abominable. Forming a capital "A", for example, is nigh impossible as it just will not pick up the cross bar stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources