8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2015 12:27 PM by 7865436

tutorial for backing up LR

7865436 Level 1

I hope this is the correct place to ask this! I have LR and have been watching all the videos available and have learned alot but I'm still confused abut when clossing it, I get the window about backing up. Can anyone please point me in the right direction to a video about this last step. Thanks

• 1. Re: tutorial for backing up LR
          dj_paige Level 9

There's a video here: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Back up a catalog scroll down to the bottom of the page

Do you have a specific question? There really aren't a lot of choices on this backup screen

• 2. Re: tutorial for backing up LR
            7865436 Level 1

Well!!! yes!!! I'm on a mac I have time machine/ external drive. All my pics are on my main drive inside my mac. I need to make sure that they are getting backed up when I close lr. I'm not really sure what is happening as of right now. I just click skip this time!

• 3. Re: tutorial for backing up LR
              dj_paige Level 9

The backup that Lightroom provides does not make backups of your photos. It only makes backups of your catalog file.

You must make backups of your photos using some other method, preferably an automated method.

It is mandatory in my mind to do both types of backups ... backing up the catalog file and backing up your photos.

• 4. Re: tutorial for backing up LR
                7865436 Level 1

dj,  I know this is going to be some really stupid questions!      my photos and my catalog are NOT the same thing?  when you close lr and you get the window to back up what do you check?

I don't know how to back up my photos,,,,unless they are being backed up with time machine when it backs up my entire mac. Does that seem correct?

yes i agree with you i should be doing both but when I had apple helping me he only spoke in technical terms and I had no idea what he was telling me! Now i need to make sure I'm doing this correct.

• 5. Re: tutorial for backing up LR
                  dj_paige Level 9

Your catalog file is simply a database. It does not contain your photos. It contains the location of your photos but not the photos themselves, and it contains the work you perform on your photos.

Your photos are stored on your hard disk somewhere, as a file that you can see in Mac Finder. The photos are stored in the location you put them in, or in the location that you instructed Lightroom to put them in. While some people might use the word "catalog" in layman's terms to mean their collection of photos, that is not how Lightroom uses the word "catalog", which refers simply to the database, as explained above.

Time Machine does indeed make backups of your photos if configured properly, and I would recommend you spend some time learning more about that, if necessary.

when you close lr and you get the window to back up what do you check?

You click on Choose (if necessary) and make sure your catalog backup goes to a different physical disk than the working catalog.

You check both "Test Integrity" and "Optimize"

• 6. Re: tutorial for backing up LR
                    7865436 Level 1

thanks for the explanation about catalogs.  i will also view the video you suggested.

Do you know of a video about time machine and how to set it up?

• 7. Re: tutorial for backing up LR
                      dj_paige Level 9

I don't know to use Time Machine, I don't have a Mac. However, I'm sure your favorite search engine can find information about how to use Time Machine.

• 8. Re: tutorial for backing up LR
                        7865436 Level 1

ok, great, thank you so much for your help! It is greatly appreciated!