11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2015 3:48 AM by dj_paige

Action finding missing pictures

TIMTOWNS

For reasons unknown to me I have 1/3 of my library missing pictures.  When I elect to search for the missing picture, I find it, select it, and LR replies "you can't have two images of the same file name in your catalog. What action to I take now? Do I remove the blank image (subject of the search) from the catalog?

• 1. Re: Action finding missing pictures
          dj_paige Level 9

Missing images in Lightroom happen because you have, outside of Lightroom (accidentally?) moved or renamed a photo or it's folder.

If you are trying to reconnect and you get the message about the photo already exists in the catalog, that's probably because at some point, you re-imported the photo at some time from it's new location (where you moved it as described above)

So, I may have a solution, but before I provide it (and before you try it), we need to be 100% sure I have understood the problem (otherwise my solution won't help and it might make things worse).

Please choose one of these files that is causing this issue — make a note of the exact file name. Then, perform the following four steps in order

1. In the Library Module, on the left, go to the Catalog section and click on "All Photographs"
          2. Turn off all filters (ctrl/cmd-L once or twice)
          3. Expand All Stacks (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
          4. Search for the photo you chose by the exact file name, using the Filter Bar

Next, a series of questions about the results of this search

• Do two (or more) photos show up when you do this search?
          • Is one of them the photo that is "missing" according to Lightroom, and one is not missing?
          • Is the missing photo the one that has your edits and the not missing photo has no edits? Same question about any user supplied metadata
          • 2. Re: Action finding missing pictures
            TIMTOWNS Level 1

Thank you for such in depth attention to my problem.  Tomorrow afternoon I will devote myself to following your instructions .  I will provide you with the results. You're correct in your initial speculations.  I almost lost all of my outboard, USB connected, drives when my computer (MacPro) burned up.  So now I'm working with an iMAC with 12 or 16TB of redundant solid state storage (a Drobo Stack).  I decided to consolidate all images on one of the drives along with the last backup of one of my LRcat. I did this same thing for 3 other catalogs.  The one I'm having so much trouble with is my oldest catalog. I moved that particular "Consolidated" ircat to another Drobo SS drive and decided to standardize on a consistent file naming scheme since the original hierarchical scheme based on date was poorly created across all the releases I used from the earliest version of LR.  That scheme renamed the file name as YYYYMMDD_aditional_information_as_necessary + the suffix.  Unix has trouble with file names with spaces, so they were all replaced with "_".  The next step was to import all of these images into a new catalog that supposedly has about 40,000 images.  When I use that catalog, I find nearly 12,000-18,000 missing images. I suspect some of the missing images are on a separate, external hard disk that I used to copy the primary SATA disk from my burned-up MacPro. After I did these operations for file name changes and location changes, I realized that some of the tags and metadata would be lost, but to my surprise most were preserved.

Now then, tomorrow I will perform the tests as you suggested.  I'll pass on the results tomorrow through this forum.

Again, Thank you so much for responding,

Tim Townsend (timtowns@gmail.com)

• 3. Re: Action finding missing pictures
              dj_paige Level 9

I don't understand, if you import the images into a new catalog, what happens so that you have 12000 to 18000 missing images?

Do you mean missing in the way Lightroom means missing, that there is a question mark icon or exclamation point icon on the photos?

Or do you mean that the photos just didn't appear in Lightroom when you thought you were importing them? If that's what you mean, don't bother following my instructions, taht won't help a bit.

• 4. Re: Action finding missing pictures
                TIMTOWNS Level 1

the way Lightroom means missing, that there is a question mark icon or

exclamation point icon on the photos...

thanks,

Tim

• 5. Re: Action finding missing pictures
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

With that many missing photos, you should first go to the Folders panel and fix any missing folders first. This should solve most of the missing images.

• 6. Re: Action finding missing pictures
                    TIMTOWNS Level 1

I’ve done as you have asked.  I picked image #2222 as displayed by LR.  It

shows as image 1 of 2

File name is IMG_0168.JPG

In searching using the Filter Bar, 4 images appear.  In the order of

appearance numbered #1 through #4 (*) indicates some modification to

metadata: File names listed of those found in the search were taken from

the file name metadata of each image.

Image #    File name             Notes     Tags

#1              20080623-IMG_0168.JPG  1 of 2     Darby,Darby<family

#2 *           IMG_0168.JPG  Copy 1    Darby,Darby<family

#3 *           20080623-IMG_0168.jpg  1 of 2  Ben, Novigs

#4              20080623-IMG_0168.jpg 2 of 2 (Copy 1)  Ben, Novigs

Does this help?

Note that while I don’t see the images it claims to have the same file

name, only the first 2 have identical tags.  In my visual scanning of the

directory of the cataloged images, I noticed that I didn’t complete my

standardization of file names starting with YYYYmmdd and followed by more

text whose words were sometimes separated with an “_”, but sometimes with a

space. (Unix dislikes spaces in file names).

• 7. Re: Action finding missing pictures
                      dj_paige Level 9

Well, you have 3 copies of one image and one copy of a similarly named image. From across the Internet, this is going to be extremely difficult for me to figure out what to do, and my best advice to you is to find someone locally that is skilled at Lightroom (perhaps at a local photography club) who can sit at your computer and see if (s)he can figure out what has happened and how to fix this.

• 8. Re: Action finding missing pictures
                        TIMTOWNS Level 1

Another QUESTION(1): when I elect to locate the missing image and one or more are found, may come back and say, you can't have two images with the same file name.  At that point, should I simply remove the missing picture from the catalog (and assume that one of those which were found in the search are somewhere in my catalog)?

QUESTION(2); does the image file contain the metadata and tags?  I assume the LRcat contains just pointers and relationship trees. Are these assumptions about correct?

I appreciate your reviewing my answer.  Yes, my situation is complicated by the fact that I used Lightroom to input my images from whatever storage device they were on (from a camera, from a file of scanned images, etc). LR has some scheme to determine how to group things.  It tries to do this by image date (I'm guessing here), but whatever scheme they use, a mess is created.  As an example, I took a month's cruise and took 2K - 4K pictures.  Nowthen, the crew of this cruise line, had their own pictures of the same locations, but taken a different dates.  Once more, their titles had some heading followed by "Day 1", "Day 2" etc. (sometimes multiple pictures were taken on a given day).  Anyway, I imported them, forgetting what LR will do with subdirectory creation.

This is one of the reasons why I decided on following a rigorous naming format as mentioned before.  The current folders named by LR's interpretation of the date, has scrambled my pictures.  I have images (mostly scanned) dating back to 1961 that are dated only by the date stamped on the 35mm slide mount.  I have hundreds of 4" x 5" negatives that were all scanned. I know the approximate date of my visit to a park (for example), and then, I have thousands that are undated by the camera or by memory of the time.

Most, if not all folders marked by a (?) are empty.  Most of these folders are located in a folder labeled "Backup".  As long as these are empty, I believe the correct action is simply to delete them.   

• 9. Re: Action finding missing pictures
                          dj_paige Level 9

when I elect to locate the missing image and one or more are found, may come back and say, you can't have two images with the same file name.

This is not correct. You can have two images with the same file name.

At that point, should I simply remove the missing picture from the catalog (and assume that one of those which were found in the search are somewhere in my catalog)?

QUESTION(2); does the image file contain the metadata and tags?  I assume the LRcat contains just pointers and relationship trees. Are these assumptions about correct?

I'd say incorrect.

Most, if not all folders marked by a (?) are empty.  Most of these folders are located in a folder labeled "Backup".  As long as these are empty, I believe the correct action is simply to delete them.   

Well, I wouldn't agree to answer that question one way or the other without sitting at your computer and digging around.

Before you do anything, make sure you have a backup of your current catalog file.

• 10. Re: Action finding missing pictures
                            TIMTOWNS Level 1

You said: This is not correct. You can have two images with the same file

name.

But, in so many words, after the search for a missing photo reveals another

image (w/ same fine name) and I choose to select the one found as the one

missing, I'm told by LR that I can't have two images with the same file

name (locn)

!

I don't understand what is going on here.

Thanks, though.

Tim

• 11. Re: Action finding missing pictures
                              dj_paige Level 9

You have, in your Lightroom catalog, two photos with the same name.

This particular message really means, you can't re-link to a photo on your hard disk, if that exact same file in that exact folder is already in your catalog. This is a different issue. This is the original problem I discussed. The next step ought to be remove one photo from your catalog by that name that you don't want in your catalog (because it doesn't have the right edits and/or right metadata), and then re-link another photo in your catalog that you do want (because it has the right edits and/or right keywords) to the photo on your disk.