11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2015 8:16 AM by trshaner

I am running LR5. I wish to install LR6 and keep LR5 running as a seperately unit.

Henry8568

I wish to start fresh with LR6 and keep LR5 to store my existing images. All new work will go into LR6.

Can I do this or will LR6 try to update my LR5. I wan't to do this as my catalogue in 5 has become very disorganised due to me not fully understanding  how to set it up when I started out with LR4. I want to start again.

thanks in advance for any help.

MIke.

• 1. Re: I am running LR5. I wish to install LR6 and keep LR5 running as a seperately unit.
          dj_paige Level 9

Yes, you can indeed do this.

Neverhteless, may I gently suggest that separate catalogs with an arbitrary break point is not a good way of organizing either. Having all the photos in a single catalog is better than having some photos in one catalog and some photos in another catalog with some arbitrary break point separating the catalogs. I realize you are not happy with the existing organization but separate catalogs just throws another layer of disorganization into the equation. If you have separate catalogs, now you have to remember which catalog the photo is in, and then find the photo in the catalog; and if you remember incorrectly (which is something we all do), you open the wrong catalog, search around, and then can't find the photo because its not in that catalog, you have wasted your time. If you have a single catalog, you can't open the wrong catalog and cause yourself to waste that time.

• 2. Re: I am running LR5. I wish to install LR6 and keep LR5 running as a seperately unit.
            Henry8568 Level 1

Thank you for your reply. You do have a valid point re two Catts. However I think I can manage it. I am really looking forward to having a clean sheet to start again.

I Just hope the instalation goes OK. I am fairly good at taking photographs and using LR, but I am not very technaclly minded. I hope I do not finish up with my LR5 Catt in my new LR6.Watch this space!!!

THanks again for help.

MIke.

• 3. Re: I am running LR5. I wish to install LR6 and keep LR5 running as a seperately unit.
              dj_paige Level 9

However I think I can manage it.

Let me express my skepticism that any human being will be effective at remembering which catalog has which photos over long periods of time, when the break between catalogs is an arbitrary point in time.

Yes, I'm sure you will remember which photos are in which catalog next week.

Yes, I'm sure you will remember which photos are in which catalog next month.

But I am also completely convinced that as time goes by, you (and every other person on the planet) will not be able to remember whether the photo was taken before you started using Lightroom 6 or after you started using Lightroom 6. Human memory simply doesn't work that way. Details fade from your memory over time. Especially details that are unrelated, such as photo content and before/after Lightroom 6 is started.

Lastly, there are many drawbacks to having multiple catalogs that haven't been discussed in this thread. If, for example, you want to find all photos of a family member, you cannot do so because some of the photos are in catalog one, and some of the photos are in catalog 2, and Lightroom offers no search functionality to find photos across two (or more) catalogs. If all photos are in one catalog, then this can be done.

The list of drawbacks to multiple catalogs is much much longer than what I have mentioned here. Multiple catalogs in this situation is simply a bad idea. You are setting yourself up for future problems with multiple catalog split by an arbitrary date.

• 4. Re: I am running LR5. I wish to install LR6 and keep LR5 running as a seperately unit.
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Henry8568 wrote:

I wish to start fresh with LR6 and keep LR5 to store my existing images. All new work will go into LR6.

Can I do this or will LR6 try to update my LR5. I wan't to do this as my catalogue in 5 has become very disorganised due to me not fully understanding  how to set it up when I started out with LR4.

What exactly do you mean by "disorganized" and do you fully understand how to "better organize" your images in LR6 now? As dj_paige has pointed out having the older files in LR5 and the only newer images in LR6 is by its very nature "disorganized." Please tell us what you will be doing different in LR6 and perhaps we can provide suggestions on getting all of your image files "organized" into one LR6 catalog.

• 5. Re: I am running LR5. I wish to install LR6 and keep LR5 running as a seperately unit.
                  Henry8568 Level 1

Hello.

Thank you for responding.

I stayed up late last night and looked into my LR 5 catt. It is not as bad as I thought. I have overreacted..

The main problem I have is that I have never applied Key Words on import. This was a mistake.

I spent many hours applying them. I updated to LR5 and lost the lot during the upgrade. I do not have the stomach to do it all again.  If I set up LR6 as a stand alone could I import my pictures gradually over time as I need to refer to them and apply Keywords. I think you need to use Keywords on all photo's or not at all.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers.  Mike.

• 6. Re: I am running LR5. I wish to install LR6 and keep LR5 running as a seperately unit.
                    dj_paige Level 9

Yes, ideally all photos should be organized using the same tools, in your case keywords.

I realize that you're not there yet, and just like everyone else, you have a busy life and the lack of keywords problem isn't going to be fixed in the next 24 hours, or the next month, or maybe not even in the next year. So for the foreseeable future, you are going to have a certain level of disorganization. All of that is perfectly reasonable and understandable.

What is not understandable or reasonable, in my opinion, is to use the existing disorganization as a reason to increase the level of disorganization. And creating a new catalog that has only new photos is indeed increasing the level of disorganization. You will not remember, as time goes by, for many of your photos, which photos are in which catalog.

If all of your photos go in a single catalog, you are not increasing disorganizaton, you are leaving it at the existing level, and you can be perfectly well organized on the new photos. This is the best solution.

• 7. Re: I am running LR5. I wish to install LR6 and keep LR5 running as a seperately unit.

Henry8568 wrote:

The main problem I have is that I have never applied Key Words on import. This was a mistake.

I spent many hours applying them. I updated to LR5 and lost the lot during the upgrade.

It sounds like you "imported" your LR4 image files into the LR5 upgrade. The proper method is to let the upgrade version (LR5) "convert" your existing catalog (LR4), which will "automatically" import all your image files including edits, keywords, catalogs, etc. into the new version. See this tutorial on how to install LR6 upgrade and "copy" over your existing LR5 catalog and image files. Your LR5 installation will remain intact, but as suggested do not do any new work in LR5 after the upgrade. You can keep LR5 installed until you feel comfortable that everything is working properly in LR6.

http://laurashoe.com/2015/04/22/video-tutorial-on-how-to-upgrade-to-lightroom-cc-6/

Henry8568 wrote:

If I set up LR6 as a stand alone could I import my pictures gradually over time as I need to refer to them and apply Keywords. I think you need to use Keywords on all photo's or not at all.

As mentioned all your current keywords added in LR5 will be copied over with the image files into LR6 when it "converts" the LR5 catalog. You can add or edit keywords just as easily in LR6 as you are doing now in LR5–There's no reason to continue doing this in LR5. It's helpful to use keywords on "all" photos, but not a showstopper! You can go back at any time to add or remove keywords to image files. Please see this LR Help on 'Organizing Photos:'

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Organizing photos

Here's the main LR Help page, which has much more:

Learn Lightroom, get help and support | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5

• 8. Re: I am running LR5. I wish to install LR6 and keep LR5 running as a seperately unit.
                        dj_paige Level 9

I think you have hit the nail on the head, trshaner. That sounds like the underlying reason for this idea of starting a new catalog for Lightroom 6 and keeping the rest of the photos in Lightroom 5.

• 9. Re: I am running LR5. I wish to install LR6 and keep LR5 running as a seperately unit.
                          Henry8568 Level 1

Hi All.

I heed your advice and will run only LR6 and allow it to upgrade my LR5 catt.  This does seem the best option for me. I can add keywords on import in future and add keywords to my existing photo's again over time.

I have bought LR6 from Adobe, but cannot download due to "Problem in  Store." I have to ring a number. That could take forever. Thank you for the Links. The tutorial on upgrading will be handy. I have run it once,will have to go through it again a few times.

Will take some time to get this sorted,but will post progress.

Thanks.Mike.

• 10. Re: I am running LR5. I wish to install LR6 and keep LR5 running as a seperately unit.
                            Henry8568 Level 1

I have installed LR6 and it seems to be running OK.

Will use it for a few days and if no problems show up will remove LR5.

Once again thank you all for your help.I needed pointing in the right direction!!!.

Mike.

Sent from my iPad

• 11. Re: I am running LR5. I wish to install LR6 and keep LR5 running as a seperately unit.

You might want to keep it installed for a bit longer than that and keep a backup copy of your LR5 catalog when you do uninstall it. If you need any further assistance just let us know.