2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 9:11 PM by jimbarba

lightroom 3.6 slideshow soundtrack selected music no longer shows music duration and thus fit to music grayed out

jimbarba

lightroom 3.6 slideshow soundtrack selected music no longer shows music duration and thus fit to music grayed out. This works on this version on another computer.

• 1. Re: lightroom 3.6 slideshow soundtrack selected music no longer shows music duration and thus fit to music grayed out
          jimbarba Level 1

Hi. I should add a little info here about my system. It is a homemade machine with an AMD 6 core FX processor running 3.3GHz. I have 16GB of DDR3 Ram. I am running Windows 7 pro 64bit sp1. The history of this issue is I was using LR 3.6 64bit successfully to make my mp4 movies using the Fit-To-Music feature for many years on this machine.

What I have been doing is sky photography. I set my Canon 8Mpix Rebel XT on a tripod and set it to continuous 30sec exposures all night. (I rigged a power supply to the 6 AA vertical hand held attachment I have on the camera, as batteries don't last all night!) I accumulate upwards of 1200 .CR2 raw photos on a longer winter night. This totals around 8GB of photos that I import into LR. I trim off what I don't want and adjust the shoot as I see fit. I then proceed directly to the Slideshow module. I select Widescreen and turn off all extraneous stuff such as titles etc. I then I open the Playback section and check Soundtrack and click Select Music. I select an mp3 file, typically 2-6 min. in length. Before clicking the Fit-To-Music button, I go down to Slide Duration section and slide the Fades down to 0. I do this as I remember having some problems leaving it at the default 2.5 sec.. I then click the Fit-To-Music button and the Slides time typically goes to 1 or 2. (If I am doing only a part of the night, say 3 or 4 hundred photos, I will get higher Slide times than that. In that case I am always successful in adjusting the Fades up from 0, even to the extent of bringing the Slides time to 0, once I click the Fit-To-Music button to refresh.) I then click the Export Video, set the name, location and video quality, (typically 1080p or 960 x 540 for video challenged machines), and let her rip. The entire set of photos matches up with the music length, exactly, every time.

What I did that I think might be the source of the problem:

I installed LR5, leaving LR3 installed. Even though I like some of the added functionality in LR5, I found I could not perform the same above feat in LR5! It was a different problem and I spent some time searching for answers, but I knew LR3 worked, so I "figured" I would use LR3 for this particular function. Well much to my chagrin, now LR3 has the above problem.

What I have tried:

I uninstalled LR5, via the Control Panel. No luck.

I uninstalled LR3 and reinstalled. No luck. The uninstall left behind stuff in the file system, including the folder:

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

I renamed it prior to reinstalling LR3, to cause it to rebuild. No luck.

To recap what I said in my initial post. My 2-core laptop with only LR3.6 installed, works fine. Trust me, I will NOT be installing LR5 on that machine until I find out what is going on! I may have to see about doing some forensic work in the registry to remove all remnants of what LR5 might have left behind there. But I thought I would see what you people might come up with.

Thanks Jim

• 2. Re: lightroom 3.6 slideshow soundtrack selected music no longer shows music duration and thus fit to music grayed out
            jimbarba Level 1

Ops. I made a mistake in my description of the settings for Fit-To-Length. When I said The Slide times go to 1 or 2, I meant 0.1 or 0.2, and so forth.

Another thing I might try is using a more aggressive uninstaller, such as Revo-Uninstaller Pro. (As the free Revo-Uninstaller only identifies and uninstalls 32bit apps.) In its more advanced setting it scans for leftover items in the registry and file system, giving me the option to remove them.

Thanks Jim