11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2015 1:27 PM by trshaner

imported photos dissapearing

christophero13397253

Earlier today, I imported photos from a session and flagged selected picks for retouching later. Closed LR CC and was prompted to backup which I did.

opened LR tonight to begin working, and the album is nowhere to be see or found. I was able to import it from my desktop, but I dont understand how an album of imported photos can just disappear from the catalog. I only use one, so its not that I am not selecting the wrong catalog.

I've seen this happen with a friend a few times, first time its happened with me and I'd like to know whats going on that this is happening

• 1. Re: imported photos dissapearing
          dj_paige Level 9

What "album" are you referring to? How did you make this "album"? Please give us the EXACT sequence of steps. Is it really a "collection" or something else?

And I'm going to ask about multiple catalogs anyway, even though you stated you only use a single catalog. Sometimes people create a 2nd catalog and they are not even aware of doing so. Look under File->Open Recent and see if any of the catalog listed there have the photos you want.

• 2. Re: imported photos dissapearing
            christophero13397253 Level 1

step by step... here is what I do

There is only one catalog, I already checked that.

On my desktop, I create a new folder, named with the clients name and date, which is what I do with current work in progress always

CF card is then inserted into card reader, import window opens in LR and I import the raw files and save them to that folder for the client

I then proceed to flag images as per my cull process, then under attributes, I filter to show only the flagged images which I then export as the proofs for the client to see

simplistic way I do things, but it works for me and I've never had an issue. I do the backup once weekly. Yesterday I was prompted to back up which I did, LR closed after as I was closing it down. Last night when I reopened LR after receiving my clients pick list, that folder was nowhere to be seen in the library folders view. Its as if that folder had never existed, I ended up having to add the folder from the desktop again, and nothing was flagged.

I know I had done the work earlier, I've not had this happen before and I'm puzzled as to why its happened now. I know its happened to a friend of mine a few times and I want to nip this in the bud, I cant be spending time re-adding folders to work on

• 3. Re: imported photos dissapearing
              dj_paige Level 9

Do you mean to say that what you were calling an "album" is really a "folder"?

When shut down Lightroom and then later you come back to Lightroom, this folder is no longer present on the left side of the Library module under Folders? Or is the folder present but empty?

Are the photos still in the Library module? If you search for them not by folder, but after clicking on "All Photographs" and then turning off all filters, can you find these photos by file name or file date?

• 4. Re: imported photos dissapearing

the folder was no longer present, clicked on all photos and they were not showing there either. Its totally as if they had never been added initiallly

• 5. Re: imported photos dissapearing
                  dj_paige Level 9

clicked on all photos and they were not showing there either

I specifically asked you to click on All photographs and turning off all filters. Did you do both of those steps?

How did you search? You need to search by file name or capture date. You can't just look at what shows on the screen, you have to do an actual Lightroom search using the filter bar.

• 6. Re: imported photos dissapearing

yes I did both steps

filters are off, I pressed ctrl + F to search, looked for three of the images taken by filename, all that shows is the folder I added back yesterday. even if I sort by capture time, only that folder I added the second time shows the images from the second import

• 7. Re: imported photos dissapearing
                      dj_paige Level 9

You still have all the symptoms of multiple catalogs. What did you do to confirm you didn't accidentally create a 2nd catalog?

• 8. Re: imported photos dissapearing

under file, third option down is open recent after new or open catalog, shows lightroom catalog.lrcat

I'm assuming if there was another it would be listed there

• 9. Re: imported photos dissapearing
                          dj_paige Level 9

You are correct! That's how you do it!

So, now, I am officially stumped

• 10. Re: imported photos dissapearing

as am I. Been using PS and LR for years and never had an issue. I have another session booked tomorrow so I'll see what happens. Hopefully this was just a weird once off glitch.

• 11. Re: imported photos dissapearing
                              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

christophero13397253 wrote:

Earlier today, I imported photos from a session and flagged selected picks for retouching later. Closed LR CC and was prompted to backup which I did.

opened LR tonight to begin working, and the album is nowhere to be see or found. I was able to import it from my desktop, but I dont understand how an album of imported photos can just disappear from the catalog. I only use one, so its not that I am not selecting the wrong catalog.

Did you try opening the Catalog Backup .lrcat file that was saved immediately after the flagging session? It would be interesting to see if it also is missing the same folder.