12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2015 8:48 AM by DdeGannes

LR catalogue is critically low on space

goranBKK

I frequently get a pop-up message that my disc containing my LR catalogue is critically low on space, and it says there need to be at least 20MB available. The fact is however that I have 36GB (yes, GB) available. What to do?

• 1. Re: LR catalogue is critically low on space
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You need to delete and or move something off the drive the LR catalog is on. In today's world of computers and computer hard drives 36GB, YES 36GB, is extremely small for available hard drive free space.

I bet you are using a Mac notebook with a smallish SSD as the only drive in the system.

• 2. Re: LR catalogue is critically low on space
            goranBKK Level 1

Thank you for your reply. The 36GB free space is on a 500GB partition on a 1TB HDD.

I still have problems to see that LR would need more than 36GB to handle the 200MB LR Catalogue, and especially with the Adobe Pop-up window asking for 20MB (Yes MB) available space.

Adobe is doing something wrong here. (Should change the pop-up window to ask for 40GB instead of 20MB?)

• 3. Re: LR catalogue is critically low on space

If you are on a Mac, you didn't bother to state whether you were or you are using Windows, the OS hides files from being seen that can actually take up disk space. So even though the OS is reporting it has 36GB free, which in my opinion is extremely small, there might not be.

In any event you will need to move things off the drive or move the LR catalog and preview folders to a drive that has more free disk space.

• 4. Re: LR catalogue is critically low on space
                DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Think of your HDD drive performance this way. You have a 500GB partition on a drive with 36GB free space, less than 10%. The free space is not in one place on the HDD but in small pockets all over the drive so your system has to search almost the full drive to find possible places to write data.

This is literally choking your system performance and it is begging you for more breathing space. Having less than 25% of the drive free is affecting performance and the drive will likely fail sooner than later.

Best to have your system look like this, if you see any "orange or red" then you have problems.

• 5. Re: LR catalogue is critically low on space
                  goranBKK Level 1

Thank you. I use PC and this HDD is not the one with the OS on it so the 36GB free should be fairly accurate. And the 36GB is in one contiguous space on the HDD.

Anyway, the 20MB that Adobe is asking for is apparently nonsense and I will buy a new PC with a dedicated SSD drive for the catalogue.

• 6. Re: LR catalogue is critically low on space
                    goranBKK Level 1

Thank you. I use PC and this HDD is not the one with the OS on it so the 36GB free should be fairly accurate. And the 36GB is in one contiguous space on the HDD.

Anyway, the 20MB that Adobe is asking for is apparently nonsense and I will buy a new PC with a dedicated SSD drive for the catalogue.

• 7. Re: LR catalogue is critically low on space

goranBKK wrote:

Ok have it your way. 36GB is fine. You'll just have to put up with that warning coming up all the time.

Simply LR is trying to WARN YOU that you are LOW on Disk space. What is so hard for you to understand?

You can continue to blame LR and Adobe but in the end the Really Simple Fact is you need more FREE Disk Space on that drive.

Have a Great Day.

• 8. Re: LR catalogue is critically low on space

Quote "Simply LR is trying to WARN YOU that you are LOW on Disk space. What is so hard for you to understand?"

Operating system.

• 9. Re: LR catalogue is critically low on space
                          goranBKK Level 1

It's very hard for me to understand that Adobe sends out a warning asking me to free up 20MB of space, if they in fact need, say 40GB (to handle a catalogue file that is 200MB!). Something is amiss here.

I assume that Adobe read these threads and take appropriate actions.

It is as simple as that.

Thank you

• 10. Re: LR catalogue is critically low on space

Your problem is an Operating System problem, not a Lightroom problem.

Have a read of the following from a post on another site on managing PC HDD free space.

Quote. "Best Answer:  The amount of space used on your harddrive and how its organized( if you defragged lately or the files are all unorganized) will affect your speed when reading or writing to the HDD. If you are using newer software such as games and photo and video editing equipment you should keep at least 10% of your HDD free for virtual memory( where the pc stores recently used data while its working with a program to free up RAM basically). 

In general as a rule of thumb:
                            1) delete or transfer any data your not planning on using for a while or use rarely to a disc or a second harddrive( I recommend a second harddrive if you store alot of large data files such as videos on your pc. )
                            2) uninstall any programs that you arent planning on using regularly old games and other software that is rarely used or hasnt been used in a while is only making your pc work harder.
                            3) Remove any programs that you dont use that come bundled with your pc. their are typically a 1/2 dozen or better programs you can remove that come in a pc bundle. 
                            4) defrag often, often depending on how much you use your pc and how much you write to the HDD and delete from it. For some people once a month is enough, for really heavy users every 3-4 days would be better for most people every 1-2 weeks is plenty. 
                            5) When you do a defrag do a disk cleanup as well before you defrag to get rid of unnecessary files the pc stores when it performing task. 
                            6) your PC will run noticably slower when your HDD is about 50% full( than when its nearly empty). This is simply because it has more data to sift through. finding a specific tree in an empty field is much easier than finding a specific tree in a forest. The only problem this really causes is a little longer wait time until you hit about 10% free HDD space. once you dip below 10%, you could run into virtual memory problems simply because theirs not enough space left to expand the virtual memory. This could ultimately lead to whatever program your working in to crash. So you want to have 10% plus free on your main HDD.

Note: Some say 20%, technically you could cram it full but its going to hurt performance to do so. As it was mentioned the more full the harddrive the longer it will take to defrag it( defrag has less empty space to put files temporarily).

If you keep alot of data files transfer them too disc( i always keep everything on disc with a master disc and backup disc in case one disc gets destroyed) OR get a second HDD. 

If you just have alot of programs( or large program files) files that take up the space but you are getting full you will need to invest in a bigger primary drive.( which means you will also need to invest in OS software unless you have a copy handy already).

End Quote.

• 11. Re: LR catalogue is critically low on space
                              goranBKK Level 1

Thank you for your detailed reply. What confused me most was LR's request for 20MB while in fact there was 36GB available. But I realize that we not always understand all the workings within the PC. Anyway, I have decided to buy a new PC with dedicated SSD drives so hopefully this issue should be a thing of the past.

Once again, thank you for your support.

• 12. Re: LR catalogue is critically low on space

You are welcome.