4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2015 10:23 AM by FWG99

LR catalog duplication

FWG99 Level 1

I have a number of photos (000's) in different catalogs and in many there are sub catalogs. When counting the photos LR counts the sub-catalogs which is obviously fine but it also adds all the sub totals together and then reports the result in the top level catalog. This gives the impression that there are twice as many photos as there actually are! This is an issue for me - as an example if I edit a RAW file and save it as a dng or jpeg (for example) in a sub folder I have (obviously) one RAW image in a sub folder (I never delete the "master" RAW file of my "keepers") and one dng image in another sub folder but the main folder reports 2 images. Is there a way to stop the main folder reporting the totals of the sub folders?

Bear in mind that this is repeated on numerous instances as each master catalog is, in LR terms, a sub of the main HDD so by the time the top level catalog reports its number it seriously over stated!

I started using LR many years ago when I only had a few photos so I may well have started down the wrong path in the way I save my files but I have no idea how (nor great desire) to try to start again!!!! Typically my photo shoots are stored on my HDD as a folder containing everything from that shoot and the edits are subsequently saved in a sub folder in that same master folder. Compounding my issue is that on occasions for a specific export to a commercial print house I have copied some files into a new sub group within the master group and therefore when I sync the LR catalog .....well you know what happens to the totals!

• 1. Re: LR catalog duplication
          JoeKostoss Level 4

FWG99 wrote:

I have a number of photos (000's) in different catalogs and in many there are sub catalogs. When counting the photos LR counts the sub-catalogs which is obviously fine but it also adds all the sub totals together and then reports the result in the top level catalog.

Do you really mean different catalogs and sub-catalogs?  Or do you mean folders and sub-folders?  To answer your one question, in the Library Module, go to Library>Show Photos in Sub-Folders. Turn this feature off.

• 2. Re: LR catalog duplication
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In addition to what I'm not sure I understand your concern.

FWG99 wrote:

I have a number of photos (000's) in different catalogs and in many there are sub catalogs. When counting the photos LR counts the sub-catalogs which is obviously fine but it also adds all the sub totals together and then reports the result in the top level catalog. This gives the impression that there are twice as many photos as there actually are!

The LR Library 'Folders' panel shows you the actual number of files contained in a folder. If menu Library>'Show Photos in Sub-Folders' is selected you can see the actual number of files in a folder tree (top-level folder + sub-folders). You can use the LR Library Filter Bar (\ key) to see the actual number of files by 'File Type' and numerous other parameters:

FWG99 wrote:

I started using LR many years ago when I only had a few photos so I may well have started down the wrong path in the way I save my files but I have no idea how (nor great desire) to try to start again!!!! Typically my photo shoots are stored on my HDD as a folder containing everything from that shoot and the edits are subsequently saved in a sub folder in that same master folder. Compounding my issue is that on occasions for a specific export to a commercial print house I have copied some files into a new sub group within the master group and therefore when I sync the LR catalog .....well you know what happens to the totals!

It sounds like you are trying to keep track of the actual number of "unique images" you have imported into LR. Is that really helpful? I have no idea how many unique images I have, but I can use the LR Filter Bar, Keywords, Ratings, Stacking, Collections and other tools to locate and organize my image files. More here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/topics/organizing-photos.html

• 3. Re: LR catalog duplication
              FWG99 Level 1

I did mean folders and your reply has done what I wanted.

Thanks for your input.

• 4. Re: LR catalog duplication
                FWG99 Level 1

Thanks for your input - I had not really considered the option of using the filters so yours together with the other reply have help greatly.

Thanks for your time.