I am moving this post to the lightroom forum for attention
It doesn't look like LR CC (6?) can convert Nikon NEF files to .dng for editing in LR, while 5.7 could.
There has to be someone else out there having this problem too?
Exactly what is or isn't happening? Describe in detail. If there is an error message, please quote the complete unedited word-for-word error message, verbatim.
Also, have you used any Nikon software on these D810 Raw photos at any point?
I have the D810 connected to my laptop (I've tried directly plugging the card into the laptop too) and all of the files are NEF files from that camera that I am trying to import and convert to .dng in LR.
I get an import message box that pops up and says:
"the following files could not be imported because they could not be read"
and then a a number in parentheses of how many, and below that the names of the files not imported.
(Update) the bizarre thing is, I can get many images to import if the destination is this one folder I had set up, probably first (called "Doggies", go figure!). If I take the same images and try to import to a different or new folder I get that error message.
what is it about the setup of that destination folder that is affecting this?
no, have not used Nikon software, abut on a different set of files (different card) tried importing and editing in Veiwnx2 and didn't like the interface much, though the images looked pretty good.
“Cannot be read” means your DESTINATION specified at the right of your Import panel is not writable. Check to make sure it is what you want and if so then change the permissions on it so everyone can read and write to it.
A Copy (as DNG) import takes place in two phases, the copy phase puts the files in the Destination you’ve specified and the actual Import phase tells LR to add them to its index.
The Copy phase is failing (without an error message) so when LR tries to index the files they cannot be read.
It is one of those ridiculous error messages Adobe has left the way it is for years that should have been given during the Copy phase where it might have said Files Cannot Be Written and then you’d understand what was wrong.
yes I think this is what is happening, thanks. the twist here is that one destination folder that I have set up (and any subfolders I create within that) works fine, whereas any new folder created on importing does not; so it must have to do with preferences or permissions on the destination folder setup. Previous versions of LR (4,5) did not do this to me;
re "Check to make sure it is what you want and if so then change the permissions on it so everyone can read and write to it." - I have looked thru preferences and don't know how to changes default permissions to match the one folder that works. any specific guidance about that? thanks again
New folders you create typically inherit the permissions of the parent folder so check the one above the new LR folders and see what it's permissions are.
I have not been able to fix this. In LR 4 and 5 I never had remotely this much difficulty.I just can't help thinking that this is a bug or a glitch with LR CC.
Can you please provide details of how to check and change permissions of folders on Mac?. I have been trying to manipulate this for 2 days, including stripping all folders out of my HD and moving them back in. There is one "good " folder, and i can make that the Parent folder, but this is worse, and clunkier than LR4/5.
. How do I determine a parent folder, with the right settings, and have all future folders behave like the one good one? I just want my folders to have names, and live under the external hard drive bar like they did in LR 4 and 5. Not have to live as unrelated subfolders because LRCC is badly crafted.
was able to get things to work by idenitrifying the obligatory "lightroom" folder as the "parent"
for Mac: In finder, went into the external hard drive, highlighted "lightroom" clicked command-i for get-info, unlock preferences to permissions at the bottom right, and reset all to read and write until macuser(me) shows up.
"you can read only" should then change to "you can write" at the top the lower box
then importing files from D810 can be grouped in thier own named folder
thanks to ssprengel for steering me toward the actual solution