3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2015 7:15 AM by Yammer

Camera Raw - Photoshop and Canon EOS70D

seville servant

I have Photoshop CS5 and I recently purchased a Canon EOS70D but Photoshop will not open any Camera RAW images.  Instead, I get a message saying that it "could not complete your request because the file appears to be from a camera model which is not supported by the installed version of Camera Raw".  When I click on Photoshop Help/About Plug-In/Camera Raw I see that I have Version 6.7.0.339.  I visited the Adobe Community Help page and saw that my camera was listed as one of the ones supported by the Camera Raw Plug-In and I then downloaded "Camera Raw 6.7 Update".  After downloading, nothing happened but when I clicked on the "Start" button on my laptop and did a search for this update, I was taken to a page that showed 3 folders - META-INF, payloads and AdobePatchInstaller.  I don't know if I am supposed to do anything with any of these three things but Photoshop still won't open any of my RAW files.  Can anyone advise what I should do.  Being of the more senior age group, it would also be helpful if any advice was in easy to understand terms rather than full of incomprehensible computer jargon!  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Camera Raw - Photoshop and Canon EOS70D
          Yammer Level 4

According to Adobe (Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras) the Canon 70D wasn't supported until Camera Raw version 8.2.

Unfortunately, Camera Raw 8.x only works with CS6 and CC, not CS5.

If you want to carry on using CS5, you can download Adobe's DNG Converter 9.0 for free, and create DNG copies of your CR2 files, which you can then open in CS5.

Download it from here:

Product updates

[Please note that DNG Converter works on folders and not on individual files.]

[You will first need to adjust its compatibility preferences for Camera Raw 6.6 and later.]

• 2. Re: Camera Raw - Photoshop and Canon EOS70D
            seville servant Level 1

Many thanks for the prompt reply.  Obviously I am disappointed to learn that my version of Photoshop won't be able to open RAW files from my camera but I will look into this DNG system, which is all new to me.  I presume that I would be able to make adjustments in CS5 to a DNG image in much the same way as I would be able to adjust a RAW image if my camera had been supported.

• 3. Re: Camera Raw - Photoshop and Canon EOS70D
              Yammer Level 4

seville servant wrote:

I presume that I would be able to make adjustments in CS5 to a DNG image in much the same way as I would be able to adjust a RAW image if my camera had been supported.

Precisely. Once you create DNG copies of your 70D raw files, you can open them in CS5, make any changes/edits, and then save the changes with the DNG, just like any other raw file. The main difference is that the DNG format stores your settings internally and not in a separate 'sidecar'/XMP file. You can still clear any settings and go back to the original, if you desire.