4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2015 12:38 PM by joev66051531

Aperture library in Lightroom

joev66051531

in making the switch to Lightroom, does Lightroom have it own library which it references?

From what I am reading I can still use the aperture library but have Lightroom reference it.

if that is the case where do  new photos I import go so Lightroom can reference them?

thank you for helping clarify this.

• 1. Re: Aperture library in Lightroom
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

1) Yes it does.

2) I have no idea but I don't think that is possible. You could leave your images where Aperture placed them (IF you let Aperture completely manage your image files and you didn't set up your own image folder structure) and Import them into LR. But then I "Think" you would lose all edits you had done to them in Aperture.

3) When importing images into the LR catalog LR doesn't move or copy them anywhere unless You, the user, specifically select to have them Moved or Copied. When importing new images from a camera or a memory card from a camera LR allows you to select the folder they are placed in and gives you many choices as to the naming of that folder whether a Default name that LR uses or one you want to create.

• 2. Re: Aperture library in Lightroom
            joev66051531 Level 1

Thank you for your help. This help solve my confusion about some of the differences between how Lightroom and Aperture work.

Since I will likely have my photo library now on a entirely separate hard drive could you tell me what might be a good back up software? I keep one drive offsite; am looking for a software that will just look at the newly added files since the last backup and copy only those new different files to another drive so I can transport them on a smaller drive to my offsite back up.

Thank you again.

• 3. Re: Aperture library in Lightroom
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Not sure. I haven't used a Mac for a couple of years. When I did I used both Apple Mac Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner for backups of my entire drive.

• 4. Re: Aperture library in Lightroom
                joev66051531 Level 1

Thank you again.