3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2015 2:48 PM by thomasf48484566

Moving selected LR files from a Macbook to iMac

thomasf48484566 Level 1

My Macbook is running LR6. I want to transfer images (with preliminary edits) from the Macbook to an iMac also running LR6 - my photo collection is located on the iMac in a single catalog. How do I accomplish this? I would prefer moving only selected files (with their LR edits) into my preexisting Catalog on the iMac. Is there an easy way to do this? I wish Adobe had a simple button or something to do this!

• 1. Re: Moving selected LR files from a Macbook to iMac
          Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There are easy ways, hard ways and there are safe ways. I suggest you use the 'safe way'. That way you won't mess something up in the process.

1. Launch Lr on your MacBook in Library Grid view

2. Select the files you want to transfer to the iMac

3. Choose Export as catalog from File menu

4. When dialog opens make sure you check the boxes as shown in screenshot I've included below. This will mean that the catalog includes only the photos you're selected, their previews and the negatives.

5. Copy the exported catalog and contents to the iMac (external hard drive, network, whatever)

6. On you iMac use the Import from Another Catalog command from File menu

7. Choose the catalog you just exported and copied across then configure the Import from Catalog dialog to ensure that the negatives are copied to the correct location on your iMac.

I did mention that there are easier and quicker ways, but I recommend you stick with above until you have more experience with how Lr handles the process.

save-as-catalog.jpg

• 2. Re: Moving selected LR files from a Macbook to iMac
            thomasf48484566 Level 1

HEy thanks a lot! That doesnt seem hard at all. I'll try it!

• 3. Re: Moving selected LR files from a Macbook to iMac
              thomasf48484566 Level 1

If I follow your instructions will I end up with just one (my original) catalogue? Also could you elaborate just a bit on that last part? - i.e. steps 6 and 7? thanks a lot!