6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2015 7:08 AM by A.T. Romano

I have the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and it won't open.

emilyrad

I previously searched threads and tried the suggestions such as renaming a folder, altering some settings and downloading the manager. At first it seemed to help, as the welcome page would open but opening a new or existing project didn't work and now I can't even get the welcome page to open or the error message. I've spent a lot of money on this and in the upcoming weeks will need to regularly use this for work. I feel like I've tried everything suggested that I could find but it still hasn't worked.

• 1. Re: I have the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and it won't open.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

emilyrad

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

Have you gone through the usual drills...

a. Does problem exist with and without antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

b. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements? Are you running the programs as administrator?

c. Is your video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer?

d. Are you working with pen and tablet instead of mouse?

I see that you have found my blog posts on solutions for 12 will not open issues and none has worked. Have you done the following....

1. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if that did not work, then the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppDate

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefws file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given.

(I am suggesting this since you mention some improvement with the blog suggestions. After changes, please include restarting the computer, if you are not already.)

2. If that does not work, then do the

Uninstall

Free ccleaner run through to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstall from Adobe and non Adobe products ..again assuming Windows

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I have the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and it won't open.
            emilyrad Level 1

Thank you for such a quick response.

I am using Windows 8.

a. My Norton subscription needs updating, could that be it?

b. Yes- to both, I believe.

c. I'm not sure, how would I go about finding that out?

d. No I'm just working from my laptop.

If I were to uninstall it, and then reinstall it with the disc I bought, will it work or can you only install it once? This is something I'm really worried about.

I'm waiting on my Norton subscription to be renewed so will see if that works first of all.

Thank you for everything.

• 3. Re: I have the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and it won't open.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

emilyrad

Thanks for the reply.

There is no restrictions to how many installs/reinstall you can do with the same purchased program on the same computer for your troubleshooting purposes.

Install/reinstall is a common tool for troubleshooting. You should not lose any of the projects that you have saved closed.

However, there is no guarantee, for any version, that reinstall might run into problems which need troubleshooting. But, that is not usually the case. And, the uninstall/free ccleaner, reinstall often resolves the issues.

The following does not apply to your situation, but is good information to have....

Adobe lets you use the same purchased activated serial number on no more than 2 of your computers. But, you are not supposed to use them at the same time. So, if you want to use the same purchased serial number on a 3rd computer, you would have to deactivate that serial number on computer 1 or 2 in order to use that program on 3. Deactivation is not the same as uninstall. In this case, you would deactivate within the open project (Help Menu/Sign Out), and close out of there before you went to uninstall the routine way. But, none of this applies to your situation.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: I have the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and it won't open.
                emilyrad Level 1

Thank you for all of your help.

Since yesterday, I found the application in its file location where the were two applications: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and Adobe Premiere Elements. The first would not open in anyway, but the second would, saying my trial period was up- even though I never had the product as a trial and just bought it straight out. Despite that, I clicked the option to license the product and added my serial number. This then opened the application!

However, I can only access the product this way, and my problem from before still stands. Even when I'm in the product, it won't let me go to the Welcome Page and I don't think I can access the organizer either.

Thanks,

Emily

• 5. Re: I have the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and it won't open.
                  GautamBahl Adobe Employee

Hi Emily,

Try to open the same file by doing a right click on

the Adobe Premiere Elements file and choose run as

administrator. Check if it again asks to enter the serial

number. The .exe file you are opening is actually the

Video editor part of elements. Once you are able to

launch it, try opening the organizer from within the

Editor. Seems like an issue with activation. Would

recommned renaming the Slstore and SlCache folders.

Then open the file again by doing a right click and run as

admin.

Regards,

Gautam

• 6. Re: I have the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and it won't open.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Emily

Thanks for your reply.

As per your problem description at the beginning of this thread, you have already renamed the SLStore and/or SLCache Folders and updated the Adobe Application Manager. And, that did not resolve your issues.

Focusing on

Even when I'm in the product, it won't let me go to the Welcome Page and I don't think I can access the organizer either.

Please clarify....when you are "in the product", can you get to the Expert workspace? If so, what happens when you click on Help Menu/Welcome Screen? Does the Welcome Screen open? If so, change the Welcome Screen launch directive....

Emily.jpg

Also, the Expert workspace has an Organizer Tab at its bottom (toward the left). If you click on that, can you access the Elements Organizer 12/12.1? Please let us know even if it opens and crashes.

As for the suggestion to right click the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file and apply Run As Administrator....apparently that file is opening to the program without that; whereas, trying to open the program from the desktop icon is not. If that is the case, then create a desktop shortcut from this Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file and open the program from your newly created desktop shortcut.

Emily2.jpg

About your opening of program from the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file....you said that you had to go through the routine of a "License this Product".

After you did that, closed out of there, went back to the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file, and double clicked it, did the program open or did you have to go through "License this Product" all over again to get the program to open?

Please review all suggestions in your thread, and then let us know the outcome as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR