11 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 11:17 PM by jzndr

Text animation - how to make text stay on screen after effect ended?

oRBIT1975 Level 1

My animated texts disappears almost immediately after they are completed which is a bit annoying. How do I make the final text stay on screen a little longer (without making the text-animation go slower)? If I simply "stretch" the textanimation in the timeline the effect just takes longer which is not what I want.

Thanks alot in advance.

• 1. Re: Text animation - how to make text stay on screen after effect ended?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

oRBIT1975

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it using?

What specific text animation have you applied? How many lines of text has text animation applied?

ATR

• 2. Re: Text animation - how to make text stay on screen after effect ended?
            oRBIT1975 Level 1

Premiere elements 13 trial with latest update on win 7 x64.

One text line only. I've tried a few text animations (for example one letter fades up, then the next one etc).

• 3. Re: Text animation - how to make text stay on screen after effect ended?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

oRBIT1975

Thanks for the details.

Here is the plan for you to determine if it works for you.

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit

Expert workspace

1. Create your text title with a Titler Animation in the project's Titler. (I used Fade in by Character.) Important. Close out of the Titler.

2. Take the Timeline Indicator to the last frame of the title on the Timeline. Go to Tools/Freeze Frame.

3. In the Freeze Frame dialog, set for Freeze Frame duration for as many seconds as you want to add to the display the end text.

Click Insert in Movie.

4. The Freeze Frame will display at the end or wherever you place the Timeline Indicator.

Does that work for you?

ATR

• 4. Re: Text animation - how to make text stay on screen after effect ended?
                oRBIT1975 Level 1

No it doesn't, since it also freezes the movie I have behind the text (sorry if I forgot to mention that). I just want it to "freeze a track".

• 5. Re: Text animation - how to make text stay on screen after effect ended?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

oRBIT

Thanks for the reply.

If we now include a video under this animated text, that can be easily taken care of

1. Right click the video clip below the animated text file, and remove the check mark next to Enable.

Now when you do the Freeze Frame, then you will only have the static animated text with the video included.

Follow the rest of the details given previously.

2. When finished right click the video clip and return the check mark next to Enable.

The above would seem to resolve the matter of the video being included in the freeze frame idea. But, what is the duration of the animated text and the video clip at the start? Is the video clip longer than that of the animated text file?

ATR

• 6. Re: Text animation - how to make text stay on screen after effect ended?
                    oRBIT1975 Level 1

When doing this, it inserts the freezeframe in the "background-movie" (which it splits!), not in the text-track for some reason.

• 7. Re: Text animation - how to make text stay on screen after effect ended?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

oRBIT

Did you select the animated text file before you went to Tools Menu/Freeze Frame? Or did you do the freeze frame with the video selected instead?

But, hold on what you are doing.

Please detail the situation that you are facing now that we both know that there is a video file underneath the animated text file whose duration you want to increase with the static only part (end) of the file's animation.

What is the case....example...you have a 7 minute video and a 5 minute animated text file and you want the static end of the animated file to extend to the end of the video file or something else?

ATR

• 8. Re: Text animation - how to make text stay on screen after effect ended?
                        oRBIT1975 Level 1

I'm just experimenting if PE13 is something for me, but this seems pretty complex to do something so simple(?)

I have a short video, and want a text-presentation on top of that only lasts for a few seconds, and it doesn't overlap any other videos.

And yeah, I picked the text-layer. The freeze-frame looks right, but it's dropped in the middle of the video (background), so the video gets cut in two parts.

• 9. Re: Text animation - how to make text stay on screen after effect ended?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

oRBIT

When you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General, what is the reading for Still Image Default Duration, 150 frames or something else? Are you in a NTSC or PAL setup where the frame rate is 29.97 (NTSC) or 25 (PAL)?

What is the duration of the video over which you want this animated text file to span from beginning to end of this video?

Lots of things to discuss about freeze frame black and animated text title black. I will elaborate on all that and more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Text animation - how to make text stay on screen after effect ended?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

oRBIT

The problem that you described at the onset....

My animated texts disappears almost immediately after they are completed which is a bit annoying. How do I make the final text stay on screen a little longer (without making the text-animation go slower)?

My response to that was to consider creating and using a freeze frame of the last frame of the text animation to create the extended time for the animation text file.

You subsequently mentioned that there was a video under the text animation consideration.

Now consider using the following example....

1. Assuming that you have on Video Track 2 an animated text file created in the program's Titler (5 second duration), have a 7 seconds duration video clip under that title, and want the static end of the animated text file to extend to the end of the video file, these are the detailed steps to consider....

2 Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and assure that Still Image Default Duration = 150 frames (5 seconds in a system characterized by 30 frames per second).

3. Video (7 seconds duration) on Video Track 1). Move the Timeline Indicator to a clear space to the far right of the end of the video. Create your animated text title. Move the animated text file upward to Video Track 2, but not over the video on Video Track 1 yet.

4. Select the animated text file and then Tools/Freeze Frame to create a 2 seconds duration freeze frame. Use the Freeze Frame dialog's command Insert in Movie. The Freeze Frame is at the end of the original animated text file. At the end of the Freeze Frame should be a separate 1 frame clip. Remove that 1 frame clip.

a. At the Timeline level, apply the Chroma Key effect to the Freeze Frame in order to replace the color black in the freeze frame with transparency which the program represents with "black".

b. Move the original 5 second animated text title plus its extension Freeze Frame to directly above the video on Video track 1. You should be able to see video content below the Freeze Frame.

titleextension.JPG

Please let us know how that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Text animation - how to make text stay on screen after effect ended?
                              jzndr Level 1

As a video editor forced by circumstances to use Adobe Premiere, it keeps me in constant pished-off frustration as simple tasks become moronically difficult.

Angrily I tried this and it worked.

Duplicate your animated text in the Project Assets window (Cmd-D)

drag the duplicate into your timeline and use the FX controls to remove the animation from it.

Because it's an independent clip, this can be done without cascading back into the original.