5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2015 10:45 AM by A.T. Romano

Is it possible to crop individual frames within a clip?

JIMBO

I received some scanned super eight home movies with a small white rectangle on the left side of each frame.  When I play a clip or movie with this material the rectangle shows in every frame.  Is it possible to crop the frame so that the white triangle is removed.  I can do this in iMovie but cant seem to find a way to do it in Premiere Elements.  Any suggestions.  Film is in Mpeg4 format.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to crop individual frames within a clip?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

JIMBO

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system it is running?

Generalizing....

If the white rectangle is throughout the video in the same place and near same edge of each frame, then you could crop the video clip on the Timeline and then scale it up to get rid of any black borders that you generated in the cropping process.

You might try devising a garbage matte keying effect scheme for this.

But, your mention of "crop individual frames within a clip" is not clear. Since one place you say the whole clip is affected by this white rectangle.

There are ways to break your video down into individual frames (as jpgs for editing in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements), but I would think that the scope of that approach would be prohibitive.

Maybe Effects Mask with Blur?

Maybe tell me more about the feature in iMovie that you feel can do the job for you. And, that will give me a better idea for a Premiere Elements counterpart.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Is it possible to crop individual frames within a clip?
            JIMBO Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements 13.  IMac with Yosemite.

This is one frame from a clip.  I have about 4000 feet of clips with this artifact.

Maybe what you are suggesting is what I am able to do in iMovie. i.e. crop within timeline. However I did not see how to do that in Elements 13.

What is a garbage matte key?

It was scanned by Scancafe and I am trying to negotiate with them for a version without the rectangle.  Original film was Super 8 shot in the late 60’s to early 70’s thus is pretty much a rectangular aspect ratio. 

Crop within a clip - I know you can trim a clip and I used that phrase to distinguish between trimming and cropping.

A mat or frame of some kind would be preferable to what I have now.

I am a novice at this so if I sound dumb -its because I am.

I really appreciate any help you could give me,

Jim Barter

• 3. Re: Is it possible to crop individual frames within a clip?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

JIMBO

If you are saying that the white rectangle on your home made movie is presenting on only one frame in all the frames that make up that video, then my first impression is cut out that frame from the rest of the frames that make up the video clip.

1. Expert workspace. Set timecode below the Edit area monitor from 00;00;00;00 (hours;minutes;seconds;frames) readout to a frames readout. Expand the Timeline maximally with the -+ slider above the Timeline.

3. Move the Timeline Indicator to the frame with the white rectangle. Cut the video with the scissors tab on the stem of the Timeline Indicator. Then tap the right arrow key to advance the Timeline Indicator to the end of that frame (beginning of next frame), and cut the video with the scissors tab on the stem of the Timeline Indicator. Then right click this now isolated frame, select Delete and Close Gap.

4. An alternative is to copy the frame immediately before the frame with while rectangle and paste it in the frame space that is emptied by Delete instead of Delete and Close Gap.

If I have interpreted correctly what you want to do, I would not bother with garbage mattes and other.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but I believe we should have found common ground troubleshooting here between Premiere Elements Mac and Premiere Elements Windows.

A rough way of looking at crop and trimming, I would consider cropping to remove portions of the video clip image but not change the file duration. Trimming, as in the Preview Windows (Set In and Set Out points), would be for isolating segments from the whole video duration.

Please consider and let us know if any of the above worked for you. If not, please let me know where I have gone off target on this.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Is it possible to crop individual frames within a clip?
                JIMBO Level 1

No the white rectangle is in every frame not just the first frame in the clip.  would that it were that simple.

My hope is that the scanning company will have an answer as to why they inserted the white rectangle, what does it mean, and can they provide me with a scan in which it is not present.  They did send me blu-ray disks that are perfect.  Perhaps they can send me dvd disks or some other editable format without this artifact.  but I have probably told you this before.

Anyway, At present I am holding off doing anything more until I get feedback from scancafe.

I do appreciate your comments and it has refined my thinking about this problem.

Jim barter

• 5. Re: Is it possible to crop individual frames within a clip?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim Barter

Thanks for the update.

I do not think that we are in sync about the details since you wrote in post 2

This is one frame from a clip.

and now your write

No the white rectangle is in every frame not just the first frame in the clip

What I suggested could be done with an one frame in the video clip, not just the first frame.

Although we could sort through the details together, I think that you have the right idea in contacting the company that supplied you with the video.

That sounds like the best way to get to a quick and effective solution.

Best wishes. Please let us know of your progress as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...when I suggested changing timecode readout to frames, I forgot to include how to do that.

a. hold down the Ctrl key and click the timecode readout below the Edit area monitor

or

b. go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and change the Display Format to Frames.