3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2015 10:48 AM by Rick Gerard

Workflow: Keynote –> AE –> Encore

gvmm Level 1

Hi folks,

I have created some Keynote presentations on historical subjects that include quite a few animations. I want to export the Keynote animations as QuickTime files to After Effects, tweak the animations and voiceover, and then export video files to Encore to produce DVD and BluRay discs.

I have been out of the digital video loop for a while and am not current with codec best practices. I am hoping some saintly personal will suggest some specs based on the following data:

Apple Keynote QuickTime export options:

1) 1024 x 768 (with no further explanation. I assume this is a lossless animation codec?)

2) 720p (with no further explanation. This sounds like a bad idea because I want to save as much resolution as possible and let Adobe Media Encoder do whatever compression is necessary downstream).

3) 1080p (better than 720p, but I suspect I should not compress to this level here, but rather in AME).

4) "Custom" specifically:

a) H.264 (no settings)

b) Apple ProRes 422 (no settings).   If I had to guess about these last two, I'd assume that they have all the res I'd need for DVD and BluRay output from AE to Encore, but would there be any advantage to using either?

My goal is to build the production in AE and then export MPEG-2 video files to build a DVD in Encore. This I have done before. I would also like to create a BluRay version because the artwork is great and I would like to show it with decent resolution, but I don't know what codec BluRay likes.

As you have probably guessed, I'm mainly a graphics and animation guy, and my grasp of the video aspects of this project is pretty shaky. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Richard Hurley

Grass Valley MultiMedia

• 1. Re: Workflow: Keynote –> AE –> Encore
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Adobe Media encoder has presets for BluRay if you want to pre-render or you can pre-render any production codec and send it to Encore to build a BluRay disk. The best option for frame size and frame rate is 29.97fps, progressive and 1920 X 1080. DO NOT render an h.264 video and use that for your master source for the BluRay build. Personally, I always render a production master using a good production codec like Quicktime JPEG 2000 or several other even higher bit depth formats, then just build everything in Encore for BluRay. Encore does a great job of adding the project to the AME for rendering. Build a disk image first then burn your disks.

All of the other formats you have mentioned will be scaled up to fit the 1080X1920 standard for BluRay unless you letterbox them and can live with the black bars on the screen.

• 2. Re: Workflow: Keynote –> AE –> Encore
            gvmm Level 1

Thanks, Rick! You helped free a cog that had stuck in my gears. I mistakenly thought BluRay was 1080 in width. Now I know I need more res.

I can't imagine why Apple offers such a limited selection coming out of Keynote, unless their ProRes 422 is good enough. Here is Apple's blurb on the format:

All Apple ProRes codecs support any frame size (including SD, HD, 2K, 4K, and 5K) at full resolution. The data rates vary based on codec type, image content, frame size, and frame rate. Apple ProRes includes the following formats.

Apple ProRes 422

A high-quality compressed codec offering nearly all the benefits of Apple ProRes 422 HQ, but at 66 percent of the data rate for even better multistream, real-time editing performance. The target data rate is approximately 147 Mbps at 1920x1080 and 29.97 fps.

If I'm reading the specs right, ProRes 422 is the only way I get 1920 wide out of Keynote. I have to admit that I don't know the implication of the 147 Mbps spec. Are there any flags there?

Thanks again for the help. Keynote has some beautiful transitions and it really helps my workflow, since I have to generate slideshows anyway. If I can get a smooth, high-quality path from Keynote to BluRay, I'll be in clover.

Richard

• 3. Re: Workflow: Keynote –> AE –> Encore
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ProRez is just fine. It is a 10 bit codek that supports alpha channels when you choose 444