7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2015 6:52 PM by A.T. Romano

merge audio and video clip

richardb21635994

Will Premier elements allow me to merge audio and video clips so that I can then edit them as one clip?

• 1. Re: merge audio and video clip
          A.T. Romano Level 7

richardb

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system?

The only way that I see what you want happening is if you export the Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive.

And, then you would import that export into a Premiere Elements project one file with video and audio components.

Within the project there are opportunities to group or link components, but this can lead to losing editing options that are not available to groups.

What are these edits for which you need the video and audio into one file before editing? Are you sure that you cannot do the Timeline edits with these files in place in the one project and then export them to the end product?

Please review and consider, and supply more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: merge audio and video clip
            richardb21635994 Level 1

Thanks for the information.

I am a new user with a trial version of Adobe Premier Elements 13 on a MacBook Pro Retina running Yosemite 10.10.3.

I need to produce videos with a separate audio source (Zoom H1) and video from a iPad. I can't seem to do this on iMovie and I am looking for the best software to do this.

I have found that I can sync the two audios and then delete the one from the iPad and then link the remaining audio and video. It seems that I can then edit the resulting video and keep the audio and video linked.

Would you recommend that as the best way to create the video or to export the synced file and reimport it as a single file as you explained in your message?

Thanks

• 3. Re: merge audio and video clip
              A.T. Romano Level 7

richardb

Thanks for the reply.

If you have done

I have found that I can sync the two audios and then delete the one from the iPad and then link the remaining audio and video. It seems that I can then edit the resulting video and keep the audio and video linked.

You have done a great job and executed the plan well with an export with video and audio in sync in one file.

Apparently you want to re-import this file into another project. I am not sure of what you want to do in this second project.

Is there any reason why you could do all in one project and one export - create your Timeline with iPad video and your special audio for it as well as make additions to that project Timeline before export of that Timeline?

ATR

• 4. Re: merge audio and video clip
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Elements does not have a sync or merge function.

If you synced the files manually on the iPad you can do exactly the same with Elements by using the waveform.

Tedious work but that is how we did that in the past before auto sync/merge were added to professional software like Premiere Pro

• 5. Re: merge audio and video clip
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

richardb

So that we keep in sync, I just wanted to clarify one point...that is, your issue is not out of sync audio before or after export. You are not asking how to sync audio in Premiere Elements. With the Premiere Elements tools, you have been able to replace successfully the iPad audio with another audio source, and sync the new audio source to the video component without much trouble with Premiere Elements. I believe that is correct based on what you have written

What did you use as your Premiere Elements  tools for the audio sync - Alt and arrow key (left or right) tap to nudge the audio 1 frame left or right and/or Shift+Alt and arrow key (left or right) tap to nudge the audio 5 frames left or right? Those are Windows details...for your Mac, did you use Option for Alt and Shift+ Option for Shift+Alt? I am strictly an Elements Windows user.

I am hoping that your upcoming posts will clarify the following to make sure we are clear on what your goals are and make sure you have the information that you seek to work on your project.

Is there any reason why you could not do all in one project and one export - create your Timeline with iPad video and your special audio for it as well as make additions to that project Timeline before export of that Timeline to one final end product from Premiere Elements?

If all is well and there are no problems that you have not mentioned, I would try to avoid the re-encoding involved in export and importing the export into another project where the only way out is another export.

Please consider.

Looking forward to learning of your progress as your schedule permits.

ATR

• 6. Re: merge audio and video clip
                    richardb21635994 Level 1

Thanks

Yes, I can do  all with the editing with the synced and linked video. I was trying to find the best way to create videos with separate audio and video. It sounds like that is the way most people do it. Is that correct?

• 7. Re: merge audio and video clip
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

richardb

Thanks for the reply.

Replacing the original audio of video audio file is a frequent task done successfully in Premiere Elements as you have been doing. And, I believe it has and will continue to work for you as it has for other Premiere Elements users.

Premiere Elements does not have some of the dedicated specialized features as found in Premiere Pro (examples, multi camera editing and synchronizing audio and video with Merge Clip  Merge clips automatically using audio waveforms | Adobe Premiere Pro CC tutorials), but that does not prohibit Premiere Elements users from doing multi camera editing or doing audio replacement/sync effectively in a Premiere Elements projects.

The more complex that the task becomes, then time to revisit the tools. But, right now, based on your results, I think you are in a good place Premiere Elements workflow-wise.

Best wishes

ATR