4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2015 1:24 PM by A.T. Romano

Cannot import from external drive

casaflyr

I have all my video clips stored on an external drive due to storage constraints on my internal hard drive. When I try to use the video importer it doesn't recognize the drive. How do I import clips to edit into Elements 13?

Premiere Elements 13

Mac OSX 10.10.3

• 1. Re: Cannot import from external drive
          A.T. Romano Level 7

casaflyr

What is the format of the external hard drive that you are using for the video storage?

Have you read the recommendations for that format when a Mac computer is involved?

One example

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/mac_external_hard_drive_formats

Have you selected the default which appears to be "Mac OSX Extended (journaled)

I am strictly an Elements Windows user; nonetheless, please check out the above to factor it in our out of your problem.

Thank you. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

• 2. Re: Cannot import from external drive
            casaflyr Level 1

I have all of my external drives formatted MS DOS (FAT32) for ease of file transfer to Windows machines if necessary. Premiere sees the drives just fine, but when it tells me to use "video importer" then the drives are no longer recognized. It sees a media card reader no problem, but the external drive is no where to be found. I am reading your link now.

• 3. Re: Cannot import from external drive
              A.T. Romano Level 7

casaflyr

Thanks for the reply. I have seen this type of question asked here before. I do not recall the Premiere Elements Mac resolution, if there was one.

But certain inserts into the following document make me wonder how your external hard drive is being interpreted

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Adding media into Adobe Premiere Elements

The following is the excerpt from the above that caught my attention

Using the video importer, you can import video clips from tapeless camcorders, FLIP and AVCHD camera, removable memory devices, and mobile devices.

You can also import files from removable media, such as DVDs, memory cards, and multimedia cards. These files are copied to the hard drive location you specify. The files are also added to the Project Assets panel.

Note:

On Mac OS, Video Importer does not list external DVD drives. Use internal Superdrive in this case.

Maybe you will find the answer before me. But, for now, I will look for the thread here a while back that asked this type of question.

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: Cannot import from external drive
                A.T. Romano Level 7

casaflyr

Do you have ex-FAT as a replacement for your MS DOS (FAT32). I think that I have seen ex-FAT referred to as FAT64.

If you have the format option of ex-FAT for your external hard drive, please consider trying it to resolve your issue.

More on this later.

ATR