5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 8:55 AM by A.T. Romano

How can I burn a DVD with Premiere Elements 13?  I keep getting an error message.

camelxyz

I never had a problem with version 8, but just upgraded to 13 and everything works fine until it goes to actually burn the DVD.  Then I get the very non-specific error message "Something is preventing a successful DVD burn."  There is a "Learn More" link button, but it goes to a page that says "Sorry, page not available."  I tried to diagnose it online but didn't find a clear solution, or one that I could understand.

I tried to update the drivers for the DVD drive, but it already has the latest.  I have spent months putting together this 30 minute video, and am getting shut down at the very last step. Especially since the new version of Premiere ELements wasn't cheap.

Any ideas on how to fix this are welcome.  I already made sure the compatibility with Windows 8 is checked in the software properties, and tried unchecking the box for "Use hardrware acceleration" in the preferences, based on a forum post. So far, no difference.  It renders and encodes everything fine, then bails when disc burning is at 1%.  Would really like to get past this frustrating obstacle when I am at the finish line (and deadline) for this project.

For what it's worth, I am using an HP Envy laptop running Windows 8.1.  The CPU is Intel Core i7-4700 MQ @ 240 GHz.  The RAM is 12GB, the operating system is 64 bit, and the 1TB hard drive has over 500GB free.

If anyone can suggest a solution, I would be very grateful!

Thank You.

• 1. Re: How can I burn a DVD with Premiere Elements 13?  I keep getting an error message.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

camelxyz

What are you doing - burn to Disc DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc or burn to Disc AVCHD on DVD disc?

Have you been able to do the burn to Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB)?

If you do a burn to ISO Image 4.7 GB or 8.5 GB, do you get a successfully completed message and are able to find the .iso file generated at the save location that you designated? What is the estimated file size of the .iso file derived from your Timeline content and other project assets?

Have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do that.  Can I assume that you have gone through the usual drill, including

a. does problem exist with and without antivirus and firewalls disabled?

b. are you running the program with an active Internet connection?

c. do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements...and are you running the programs as administrator?

d. do you have any other burn software on the computer that might be a candidate for conflicting program?

Please review and consider, and let us know the results which we can build on to develop troubleshooting strategy.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How can I burn a DVD with Premiere Elements 13?  I keep getting an error message.
            camelxyz Level 1

ATR, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I have been just cobbling together the disk on version 8 since I wasn't sure when/if I would hear anything.

Let me do my best to answer you:

I am trying to burn a widescreen DVD.  The discs I am using are DVD+R.

Yes, I have been able to burn to a folder , but it is a DVD file, not an iso.  I copied down the path for the iso it said was created, but couldn't find it.  I have never encountered iso files before. ANd could not even find it from the main search tool.

Yes, it has updated to 13.1.

The other things may be "usual drill" for you, but they are new to me.

a. have not looked into antivirus/firewalls

b. there is an active internet connection - is that helpful or potentially a problem?

c. I rarely use Quicktime that I know of.  I don't think it is administrator and not sure if it is the latest version.  Will look into.

d. I think I got rid of the other burn software I tried, but still have version 8 of Premier Elements.  Hate to get rid of it until I know 13 will work.

I'll take a stab at looking into those things further.

Thank you again for your help.

Tom

• 3. Re: How can I burn a DVD with Premiere Elements 13?  I keep getting an error message.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Thanks for the follow up.

Top of the list...latest version of QuickTime installed on computer with Premiere Elements and running the program as administrator. I would imagine that you would be having problems with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 if you did not already have those requirements in place on your computer...but...

I was asking about the Internet connect in the likelihood that there might be some first time/one time only feature activation needed..

Antivirus and firewall(s) can be major contributors to computer problems -all, but McAfee seems to be top of that list of problems.

What you want to try is

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD with burn to = Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB).

You will give a folder saved to the hard drive location that you designate in the burn dialog. The saved folder will contain a OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder. It is only the whole VIDEO_TS Folder that you take into the free ImgBurn to give your DVD Video on DVD disc. Does that work for you.

How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

Note: the saved folder by default will have numbers for the name. Whatever the folder name, make it distinctive so that it does not get lost in a crowd of other files and folder in the destination.

If you can get that done successfully, you have a workaround for now. And, it will give us information that would point us away from the program and toward the burn er or disc.

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Thanks for looking at the suggestions.

ATR

• 4. Re: How can I burn a DVD with Premiere Elements 13?  I keep getting an error message.
                camelxyz Level 1

OK, it is working now.  Not sure what the specific problem was.  I did a few things, restarted, went to sleep, and when I got home from work yesterday and tried to burn a disc, it worked, no problem. 

Thank you again for all of your helpful suggestions.

Tom

• 5. Re: How can I burn a DVD with Premiere Elements 13?  I keep getting an error message.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Wonderful news. And, great job in following through on the troubleshooting to obtain the end product that you sought.

Please let us know if and when you have questions on your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR