10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2015 11:11 AM by Alexander Eberhard

RAID-0 benefit for media files on PP

Alexander Eberhard Level 1

I am currenly running one SSD 850 pro for each OS, Cache and media files. HDD for Exports.

I was wondering if RAID 0 with two 512 gb ssd would give me a reasonable performance benefit in editing 4K.

My build

I7 4790

32 GB

970 gtx

Win 7 prof

CC 2014

I would be happy for help.

• 1. Re: RAID-0 benefit for media files on PP
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

are you talking about buying another ssd to get the raid, or raid what you have and place cache and media on it?

depending on what you are doing on the timeline, you may not be doing much for the cache, and doing a raid 0 with the media and cache might boost performance overall. if you do alot of cache/previews etc, then maybe should leave cache on its own ssd and add another to make raid 0 for media only. used to be that only the intel 730 480gb was good for raid, but i have seen a few of the samsung 850 pro doing well in raid 0. so maybe they updated the controller on the 850 to perform well in raid now and the samsung 840's dont do well.

as always, it depends on the media and timeline to determine what hardware will keep up with the demand... if you use windows resource monitor you may get an idea how the computer's hardware is performing while editing or exporting. it may show if the cpu is under too much demand, or if one of the disk drives isn't able to keep up. GPU-Z  will let you see how the video card is doing too.

• 2. Re: RAID-0 benefit for media files on PP

Thank you for quick response.

I have already splitted OS/CC and cache&preview and media files on a separate 850 pro SSD. My system keeps up very well, even with 4k footage (Mainly GH4, 25p). Adding and working with GPU effects will not benefit form RAID-0 (2 x 512 GB SSD) I guess right?

If I watchs my CPU. preview and playback is smooth, but can easy go up to 70-90%, depending on what I am doing. I have not had any problem with RAM and GPU memory for far.

Thus, it is hard for me to judge how I will benefit from the RAID, overall all, or just for previews and footage handling. GPU, etc?

Thanks for help.

• 3. Re: RAID-0 benefit for media files on PP

disk speed only allows faster access to the footage, or faster writing of new files when exporting, or cache. faster disk speed wont help increase any part of premiere's performance unless the disk speed is too slow to feed the media files to premiere. gpu effects should be applied on the fly using the gpu, its hard to say if that process requires any more demand of the disks or not. it would depend how adobe programmed the software. if the footage is read once, loaded into memory, then all manipulations and effects applied, and then available for playback or export. if the software was written to go back to the disk drive for every manipulation or effect applied, it would place more demand on the disk, which should show in the windows resource monitor. so it may be possible to figure it out, but i haven't actually looked at performance comparisons for this to find out.

if you are getting smooth playback and can bounce around to different spots on the timeline quickly, then the ssd should be fast enough. after that, there's not much, if any, performance to be gained by faster disk speed. so if you are already able to get smooth playback, what performance are you looking to increase? export, rendering, or something else?

• 4. Re: RAID-0 benefit for media files on PP

I might be facing heavier projects in the future. More footage and clips as well as highly compressed 4K media. I was planning ahead

• 5. Re: RAID-0 benefit for media files on PP

ah ok. well depending on how soon you may be requiring the upgrade, if even just for capacity, ssd prices in the mean time will continue to drop and new tech will continue to be released. if these projects wont be for a year or two, you may end up looking at other storage alternatives not even available now.

• 6. Re: RAID-0 benefit for media files on PP
                    JEShort01 Level 4

Alexander,

Your drives are plenty fast and are not likely a bottleneck for your current build if they are configured properly. Just save your cash towards you next 6 or 8 core build if you want/need more speed to deal with highly compressed 4K. Premiere Pro requires a balanced system, which your current system is for a given price point. I really don't think that adding additional drive speed will help you in any meaningful way.

I'm going to remind you of what you told another forum user months ago - if you are working with 4K, go with a 6-core . And today, I'd say go with a 6 or 8 core!

Regards,

Jim

• 7. Re: RAID-0 benefit for media files on PP

Yeah, true thank you.

• 8. Re: RAID-0 benefit for media files on PP

Thank you, Jim. 6 core or even more incl. X99 mb might be a smart invest instead of adding additional ssds.

• 9. Re: RAID-0 benefit for media files on PP
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This day and age I would recommend a faster single SSD over going to RAID 0.  My single Samsung SM951 is faster and safer than two Samsung 850 Pro SSD in RAID 0..  Of course you have to have a proper motherboard/CPU combination to take advantage of the SM951 or an Intel 750 with their PCIe requirements