3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2015 6:47 AM by johnt53984649

SSD and HDD Longevity with After Effects

johnt53984649 Level 2

Many of the files that I need to export from After Effects are around 200 GB in size.  Now, not considering the time it has to render times or readability from Premiere in the future, should I be writing an SSD that can only withstand a certain number of writes (for example, 150 TB) or an HDD, with no such specification?  This is purely to maximize the longevity of these components, don't consider anything else in your response.  The specific drives I'm comparing are:

Samsung 850 Pro (1 TB) (SSD)

2 TB Seagate STBD2000101 (HDD)

It would be nice if I could export files from After Effects in a lower size, but I've tried almost every option available with significant issues.  They're either too big or don't encode in the correct frame rate or resolution.  So since I have to stick with these absolutely monstrous lossless files, where should I be writing them to in order to maintain component longevity?

• 1. Re: SSD and HDD Longevity with After Effects
          cc_merchant Level 4

The 850 Pro comes with a 10 year warranty and a 150 TBW capacity. I assume they limit the warranty to whatever comes first, but have not read the warranty conditions.

If you write 200 GB each day, 365 days per year, you will wear out the 150 TBW in just over two years. However, since most if not all writes are sequential instead of random, the WA (write amplification) is 1 and not 3, as is the industry standard in this business when caclutating DWPD (which Samsung does not mention anywhere). That means the life expectancy may well be 3 x 150 TBW or 6 years. That is more than you can expect from a conventional HDD.

• 2. Re: SSD and HDD Longevity with After Effects
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if that ssd is the same as your cache for AE, you may be writing more than 200gb per render and lower the life expectancy to 1 export a day for 1 year. bottom line would be does the computer render fast enough from AE to need the ssd speed vs hdd, and is the cost of the ssd acceptable to the job/project. also, one of the many flavors of dnxhd/r should be able to handle the AE export at a much lower size. Avid QuickTime Codecs LE

• 3. Re: SSD and HDD Longevity with After Effects
              johnt53984649 Level 2

Thanks for that information, CC_merchant.  I've been unable to find that anywhere other than people here in the forums.

First of all, I don't even have a disk cache on After Effects enabled because it is so ridiculously massive.  Secondly, just as RoninEdits said, the cost of ANY component in this machine is not worth the project.  I'm using these components because they're known to have good longevity, and I absolutely cannot afford to wear them out.  So it looks like I have to resort to a codec that can export in smaller sizes but preserve as much quality of the original video as possible, because these 226 GB files just can't do.

I haven't tried that codec yet, but when I do, I'll let you know how it works out.  Thanks for the link.