10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 6:25 AM by trshaner

Blurry Slideshows !?!?

amien74359731

Hi there!

I'm really hoping someone can help me, I just seem to be going around in circles!

Last week I set up a new computer (Mac desktop with retina display - don't know if that's relevant) and signed up to Creative Cloud.

For years I have been creating slideshows in Lightroom 4 on my old Mac desktop, emailing them to people and had no problems. Since using LR6 on the new computer, whenever export a slideshow as video the quality is terrible.

What am I doing/not doing??? Please help!

• 1. Re: Blurry Slideshows !?!?
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It appears that the upgrade to LR 6/CC doesn't always properly carry-over the Previews database from the previous version. Try selecting all image files in the slideshow, 'Discard 1:1 Previews,' and then 'Rebuild 1:1 Previews' as outlined here:

Re: LR 5 Slideshow Video Export Issue

• 2. Re: Blurry Slideshows !?!?
            amien74359731 Level 1

Thanks trshaner, I gave that a go but it hasn't changed the quality of the images in the exported video.

Is there anything else I can try??

Many thanks

Amie

• 3. Re: Blurry Slideshows !?!?

Just to double-check:

1) Select ALL of the image files to be used in the slideshow and go to menu Library> Previews> Discard 1:1 previews.

2) Next select menu Library> Previews> Build 1:1 Previews and wait until it has finished in the upper left-hand taskbar. 

3) Create a new slideshow video.

If this didn't resolve the issue please provide image file type (Camera model, raw, JPEG, resolution), Slideshow Template, Video Preset (1080p, 720p etc.), monitor resolution (Example: 1920x1080), and your Catalog Settings> File Handling> Standard Preview Size (Auto (xxxx px), 2048, 1680, etc.). I also need to know what video player you are using and if it is set to view the image at 1:1 (Original) Zoom view or some other setting such as full-screen.

• 4. Re: Blurry Slideshows !?!?
                amien74359731 Level 1

Thanks for your help, I will try to find the things you've listed - I did do the discard previews correctly so I must have something else not set properly:

Camera model - canon 5D iii, raw, not sure of resolution (size is 5760 x 3840)

Slideshow template is 'simple'

Video preset - the smallest one - 480 x 270 (16:9) is there any way I can change that back to the size of the one in LR4? Not sure of the dimensions but it was a little more square

Monitor resolution - AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB (is that it???) found that under the 'about this Mac' menu.

Catalog Settings - Auto 5120 px

I'm just trying to play the slideshow with Quicktime 10.4 - having trouble trying to find what Quick time is set to with regard to image

Sorry, I'm not very techno savvy! Just need it to work :-)

• 5. Re: Blurry Slideshows !?!?
                  amien74359731 Level 1

Hi again

If I export the video at 640x480 in LR and then play it in Quick time, it is blurry but if I go to View > Decrease size then it looks clear but I can't save it so it is clear.

???

• 6. Re: Blurry Slideshows !?!?

amien74359731 wrote:

Video preset - the smallest one - 480 x 270 (16:9) is there any way I can change that back to the size of the one in LR4? Not sure of the dimensions but it was a little more square

Catalog Settings - Auto 5120 px

Your Retina monitor is very high-resolution (5120 x 2800) and you have selected a very low-resolution video preset. You need to use 1080p Video Preset as shown below. Click on the the little down-arrow next to it as shown below and select 1080p. Even then your monitor will probably upscale the 1080p video (1920 x 1080) so that it appears larger on your screen. Try the below setting and let me know if you're still having any issues.

• 7. Re: Blurry Slideshows !?!?
                      amien74359731 Level 1

When I export the video at 1080, it's sharp on my screen but I need to email the slideshows to clients at a much smaller size. Does that mean it will only look awful on my screen because of my screen's settings? Should a small version (480x270) look ok on most screens when I email them through to people? When I email the small version (480x270) to myself and then open it up on my old Mac it's still blurry, however the slideshows I used to export on the old Mac at the small preset (480x320) and view on the old Mac were fine.

Is there anyway I can change the size of the video presets in LR6 to be able to email at 480x320?

Sorry for all of the sill questions and thanks again for your assistance.

• 8. Re: Blurry Slideshows !?!?

A 480x270 slideshow should work fine provided the video player does not upscale the video onscreen. For example on my 2560x1440 monitor the video will appear in the player at 1:1 view as shown below (white box). It should be similar on your Retina display. If the playback shows a larger image than below it is being upscaled by the video player, which will cause it to become unsharp and may appear "pixellated." It will be very small on most monitors used today. On an older monitor with say 800x600 resolution it should almost fill the screen, which is probably closer to what you had on your "old" Mac. 480x270 or 480x320 is simply too small for the higher resolution displays used today.

480x270.jpg

To prevent this from happening you need to set the video player to display at 1:1 size (1 pixel = 1 pixel). Below is the setting for QuickTime. You cannot use Full-Screen mode.

Quicktime Normal Size.jpg

SUGGESTION

Consider creating a 1200x800 PDF slideshow, which will have a much smaller file size and playback with the free Adobe Reader.

• 9. Re: Blurry Slideshows !?!?
                          amien74359731 Level 1

Thank  you trshaner. I'll just email people the small version video and hope it's not so blurry on their screens.

:-)

• 10. Re: Blurry Slideshows !?!?

As long as they view it at "Normal" 1:1 view it should look OK, but will be very small on most monitors. Is there a specific reason you want to email a video slideshow? You can upload higher resolution video files to Facebook, YouTube, or Dropbox file sharing site. If you simply want to share pictures via email a slideshow PDF produces the smallest file size. It can be played in full-screen mode (CTRL + L keys), but without music.