4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2015 10:36 PM by R_Kelly

Open jpeg in ACR?

dougs8306550

How can I open a jpeg capture in ACR?    I am using PS CS6 in Mac OS X 10.10.3.

• 1. Re: Open jpeg in ACR?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you check PS / Prefs / Camera Raw you can see a couple settings for when to use the ACR plug-in for JPGs and TIFs.  I think the options Never, Always, and With-Settings.  You can obviously change this preference to Always and open your JPG into Camera Raw that way.  Another way is to right-click on a JPG in Bridge and choose Open in Camera Raw.  Finally, at least on Windows, there is a way using File / Open As, to set the format to Camera Raw instead of JPG and it works.  I think the Mac is a little different but I think you can still use Open to set Camera Raw as the format to use.

• 2. Re: Open jpeg in ACR?
            Yammer Level 4

I usually open them from Bridge, using Ctrl-R.

• 3. Re: Open jpeg in ACR?
              dougs8306550 Level 1

Thank you both very much for your kind assistance.     I went to PS . Pref > Camera Raw and found that it was already set to "with settings."    What does "with settings" mean - or, more importantly, how does that enable me to open jpegs in ACR?     When I right click on a jpeg one of the items listed is "open with," but ACR is not one of the options.  I tried "other" and still found no way to get to ACR.

Thanks to your suggestion, I've discovered that I can open jpegs in ACR if I use Bridge.  I had stopped using Bridge when I got my Mac and discovered that Finder is several time faster than Bridge when searching for images either by name or keywords.   But for those instances where I only have jpeg captures, I can certainly use Bridge.

Again, many, many thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: Open jpeg in ACR?
                R_Kelly Adobe Community Professional

On the mac version using File>Open in photoshop, select the jpeg file, set Enable to All Readable Documents and set the Format to Camera Raw

crojpeg.png

In the camera raw preferences: Automatically open jpegs With Settings means all jpegs that have opened in camera raw before

Automatically open All supported jpegs means all jpegs will open into camera raw

http://layersmagazine.com/editing-jpegs-and-tiffs-in-adobe-photoshop-camera-raw.html