5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2015 11:54 AM by 99jon

Do i need to uninstall LR5 ?

djoy11

am using LR5 but got a free years subscription to cc, what will it do to my LR5? will i need to uninstall it or will it keep working alongside cc? if i do not want to prolong membership after 1 year will i still have LR5 fully working on my mac ?

i dont really want to have LR5 uninstalled or tampered with.

thanks for your input

• 1. Re: Do i need to uninstall LR5 ?
          Brucgovn Adobe Community Professional

No need to uninstall LR5.

You can install both LR CC 2015 and LR 5 on same computer .

• 2. Re: Do i need to uninstall LR5 ?
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Both applications are stand alone. But any editing done in LR6 will not be backward compatible.

But you can use your old LR5 catalog at any time.

• 3. Re: Do i need to uninstall LR5 ?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is your choice whether to uninstall Lightroom 5. The two versions are completely separate, using different catalogs. Personally, I chose to uninstall Lightroom 5, but I still have Lightroom 4 installed along with Lightroom CC. If you know that you aren't going to use Lightroom CC beyond the year, then it might be to your advantage to leave Lightroom 5 installed. Just remember all the work you do using Lightroom CC will not be visible in Lightroom 5. The catalogs are not compatible, and you cannot roll the Lightroom 6 catalog back to work with Lightroom 5.

• 4. Re: Do i need to uninstall LR5 ?
                dj_paige Level 9

Just remember, much of the work you do in Lightroom 6 will not be easily transferred back to LR5, if it can be transferred at all. Normally, if you are going to use LR 6 for an extended period of time, there's little value to having separated your work into a LR5 catalog and a LR6 catalog, they all belong in a single catalog that can be accessed from the most recent version of LR.

• 5. Re: Do i need to uninstall LR5 ?
                  99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you decide to cancel your subscription you can always buy LR6 at the upgrade price.