9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2015 5:51 PM by tompotter77

How do i install my camera for camera calibration?

tompotter77

Hi,

I am using Lightroom 5. I do not see my Nikon D300 as a choice, under Camera Calibration. How do I

install my camera so that I can choose it?

Thank You,

Tom

• 1. Re: How do i install my camera for camera calibration?
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The actual camera profiles are located under the install directory for Lightroom. In Windows, this would be something like:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\CameraProfiles

To see the profiles in the Dev module, you need to be working with NEF/raw files. With JPG files all that data is already baked into the image by the camera.

• 2. Re: How do i install my camera for camera calibration?
            thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

On Mac OS:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/

That's be your user Library

• 3. Re: How do i install my camera for camera calibration?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You won't see your camera model listed in the calibration section. If you are shooting raw images, and you are seeing profiles such as Camera Standard, Portrait, Vivid, etc., then those are the profiles for your D300. Lightroom will only display the profiles that are specific to your camera model. And there is no option for you to choose profiles for another model.

• 4. Re: How do i install my camera for camera calibration?
                tompotter77 Level 1

Thank you all....

Jim,

OK, I hear what you're saying. However, the following are just some of the

choices I see:

ACR 4.4, 4.3 - Adobe Standard - Camera DX2 Mode 1, 2, 3 - Camera Landscape - Camera Vivid

So, "Camera DX2 Mode1" just refers to a parameter/setting, and is NOT an indication that I have the Calibration set for that particular Nikon model, then right??

Also, in practice, how would I put the Camera Calibration tool to use? Is it that LightRoom determined automatically what camera I use, and then gave me a list of settings for that particular camera, and I can choose whichever setting I feel best produces my desired result?

Finally, should I apply the Camera Calibration setting to a RAW file, a virtual copy of a Raw file, a Virtual jpg file???

Thanks Again,

Tom

• 5. Re: How do i install my camera for camera calibration?

Lightroom reads the EXIF Data produced by the camera to determine what camera model took the image. Then Lightroom makes available the profiles that were designed for that camera. I don't know the full history, but apparently the DX profiles were very popular and for quite some time those profiles were adapted for different camera models. I also have those profiles for my old D90. Most of the time I find that I use the Adobe Standard profile. Sometimes I find it advantageous to switch to another profile because of the nature of the photograph. That's something that you will have to determine for yourself. You can change the profile for NEF files, DNG files, virtual copies of these files. But you will not be able to change the profile on JPEG images. The profile is baked into the JPEG image. If you're shooting JPEG images, you can switch profiles in your camera and that switch will have an effect on the image. But if you are shooting raw, you will have to switch profiles using Lightroom because it isn't going to read that data from the file

• 6. Re: How do i install my camera for camera calibration?
                    tompotter77 Level 1

Jim,

Thanks, that helps a lot. One final thing - may I ask how you personally, or, people in general

"workflow" it? Do you recommend I make a virtual copy of whatever RAW image I am going to apply

Camera Calibration adjustments to? I only shoot RAW. I guess I am asking, should I look at it and work

with it, as if it is any other workflow adjustment? That is, Exposure, Saturation, Contrast, etc, etc??

My normal workflow is to make Virtual Copies of my images and make adjustments to those.

• 7. Re: How do i install my camera for camera calibration?

Workflow is a personal thing. My workflow probably isn't going to work for you. In fact, some may wonder why I do it the way I do. I have created presets for the different profiles that I use. It's quicker to switch through presets than it is to go to the calibration tab to make those changes. Personally, I don't make virtual copies of every image. I only make a virtual copy if I want to go in a different direction then I am going on the raw image. Changes can always be undone or removed. The underlying raw image is still in its pristine state. So I'm comfortable working directly with the raw files. If you are more comfortable using virtual copies, I don't see anything wrong with that approach. They take up very little, if any, disk space. And you have all of your options available to you.

• 8. Re: How do i install my camera for camera calibration?
                        ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Virtual copies are handy if you want to make multiple versions of an image.

Since LR does non-destructive edits by storing the edit commands in the database, you can always "start over" with no damage to the original file.

• 9. Re: How do i install my camera for camera calibration?
                          tompotter77 Level 1

Great! Thanks so much again guys, for taking the time to help me understand this.

Really appreciate it!!  :O)