21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2015 1:38 PM by A.T. Romano

New computer Question

CKENN19 Level 1

I just bought a new computer and my video files aren't conforming when I start a new project. It just sits at 0%. It was working fine on my old computer. Windows 7 ultimate.

• 1. Re: New computer Question
          A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Please remind me - what version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Also, please confirm "...aren't conforming"...do you mean that you are seeing a progress bar at the bottom right of the workspace with no progress displaying?

Or, are you using the term "conforming" in place of Timeline rendering which applies to getting the best possible preview of the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor playback?

What are the properties of your video files that are involved in your issue?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: New computer Question
            CKENN19 Level 1

PE 12  on Windows 7 Ultimate

... "conforming" as in the progress bar at the bottom right of the workspace. It just sits as 0%

The videos are DV and were downloaded to an external hard-drive.

UPDATE... I may have asked this question too soon. We'll have to see. As far as right now, the problem has not been corrected, but I was moving files from one computer to the next and I moved some files onto this external drive.  Before I did that, the external had 190 gb of space and now it only has 40gb of space.  So, I may have crowded the hard drive.  I should have my new external hard drive on my porch today at some point. I ordered a 5tb hard drive that I'm going to transfer all of my editing business files onto and that should give me more room for a scratch file and fix the issue. I will be sure to update later.

• 3. Re: New computer Question
              A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Thanks for the reply with follow up information on the issue that you reported.

We will await the outcome of your troubleshooting of your external hard drive situation. Is the format of the external hard drive NTFS?

Depending on how that goes

1. Determine if DV AVI Type1 is involved instead of DV AVI Type 2

2. Determine where the Media Cache Files Folder (conformed audio cfa and pek) and Media Cache Folder (conformed video, mcdb) are located and delete all their files.

Consequence: these files will be generated again automatically when and if the project decides it needs them. See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disc for Media Cache; Edit Menu/Preferences/Media for Media Cache Database.

3. Compare external hard drive vs Local Disk C save location with regard to progress bar activity when files from these areas are imported into the project.

4. Review project settings as compared to source media properties.

We will be watching for further developments as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: New computer Question
                CKENN19 Level 1

External is and was working fine on the other laptop. So, it's either a laptop or what the laptop doesn't have problem, a project setting problem or a free space problem. I have media cache designated to go to each individual project folder. That way when I'm done and delete, I delete it all.

I spent the entire day Tuesday transferring files from one hard drive to another. It was 728gb of projects. LOL. It took a bit. I have a lot of editing to do. It should complete today while i'm at work and I should be able to get some answers today/tonight (wednesday).

• 5. Re: New computer Question
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Thanks for the update.

We will watch for your upcoming results as your schedule permits and make more comments after that if necessary.

ATR

• 6. Re: New computer Question
                    CKENN19 Level 1

Okay. Back to square one. Files all transferred to new hard drive. 3.79 TB free on the external.  I bring up the project and it still just sits at 0% conforming. Each video comes up with a preview image, but they won't conform. Not sure which dv this is, but i'd assume a 1.  They are from a mini-dv camera from tape. What settings should I adjust?

• 7. Re: New computer Question
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Thanks for the update. Right now I am thinking you might have DV AVI type 1 instead of DV AVI type 2.

First let us confirm that you have DV AVI and whether the DV AVI is type 1 or 2. To do this, please download and install the codec utility name GSpot (Windows Only).

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

To the top left is a section "Container". If you run a DV AVI through GSpot, that Container section should tell you type 1 or type 2.

If you have Type 1, you can convert it easily into Type 2, using the free DV Date program.

Homepage of DVdate

If you did the DV data capture firewire into the Premiere Elements Capture Window, you would expect to get the DV AVI type 2.

However, the Windows Movie Maker typically gave type 1 when it was used for the DV data capture firewire.

Please let us know if any of the above got us to the solution.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: New computer Question
                        CKENN19 Level 1

Yes. I do use movie maker to capture videos because it has a few more options that are necessary for me. They were dv avi 1 and i'm converting one of them right now with the programs you provided. I will test it.  This could be time consuming. I have over 700gb of files to convert if this is the case. LOL.

• 9. Re: New computer Question
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Please explore DVDate to see if it will do batch DV AVI Type 1 to DV AVI Type 2. Never tried batch, have always done one file at a time.

I will take a look and see if there is a way.

ATR

• 10. Re: New computer Question
                            CKENN19 Level 1

That did the trick. It is converting now. It does do batch. Haven't put it in the timeline yet, but it should be fine.

• 11. Re: New computer Question
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Really great news. And, great information about DVDate doing a batch Type 1 to 2 conversion for you. Thanks for following through on the details. Appreciated.

I need to dust off my memory, but, as I recall, there was a old thread in which I was involved where there was an issue related to the use of Project Archiver when project's Timeline contained a DV AVI Type 1.

Best wishes moving forward with your projects.

ATR

• 12. Re: New computer Question
                                CKENN19 Level 1

I edited one project after converting these to type 2 files and i experienced a problem with it. I adjusted the timelines accordingly but it was a pain in the butt and now i'm working on the 2nd project and experiencing the EXACT same thing. So, now that i've converted 18 projects that I need to edit to type 2's... i'm concerned that all of them are going to have the same problem.

The videos lose lip sync.... I noticed that the files were a tad bigger once converted to type 2's... but i've had to adjust the video portion of my videos by 12 frames in order to sync up with the audio. When I watch the videos with my movie viewer though, they don't seem to be out of sync. ???  I also have to keep adjusting the sound track to matchup as the video goes along.

I'd hate to have to do this with every project, is there a setting that i'm overlooking?

• 13. Re: New computer Question
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

CNEE19

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news was not better. I thought that you had all the issues resolved.

1. Conversion from DV AVI Type 1 to DV AVI TYpe 2 can only improve the Premiere Elements since Premiere Elements supports type 2 and not type 1.

Type-1 vs. Type-2 DV AVI Files (Windows)

2. What did you capture firewire originallyDV data to give DV AVI Widescreen Type 1 or DV AVI Standard Type 1?

3. Is it these specific files from the capture that  you took into DV Date for the Type 1 to Type 2 conversion? At this point, you should have had DV AVI Standard Type 2 or DV AVI Widescreen Type 2 to take into your Premiere Elements project.

3. Are you still using Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7 64 bit computer? If so, what did you set (manually) or did you let the project set (automatically) for the project preset to match the properties of your source DV AVI Widescreen Type 2 or DV AVI Standard Type 2? Please confirm with readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General (even if those readings look grayed out).

4. When you are in the Edit area, is there no colored line over the Timeline content and is it that Timeline content that is giving you the video audio out of sync audio issue?

ATR

• 14. Re: New computer Question
                                    CKENN19 Level 1

The program DVdate was helpful in getting my videos to convert in premiere elements but I have to correct my original update.  I have noticed that some of my videos were out of sync playing through my movie viewer (post conversion), so I don't think it is a Premiere Elements problem.  Unfortunately, I converted about 14 of my 18 projects that needed to be converted before I realized that this was happening.  As of right now, it is impossible to tell if the DVdate is converting them out of sync, or the problem is with my original videos. I have 4 more projects to convert and I'm going to watch them a little closer to see where the out of sync is happening. I will have to go through all of my videos and see which ones are jacked up and sync them up before I start editing.

I looked through the videos that still need to be converted last night and none of them seemed to be out of sync, so I guess we'll see once I convert them if that is the problem.  Not all of the videos converted are out of sync... so it may have been a problem with my original tapes. ???  I will have to study the problem further.

I do performance stuff with my side business and so they are orchestra, dance, stage, bands etc....  so sync.... will be a pain in the butt and time consuming, but I guess that's what I'm saddled with.  Fortunately, I finally made enough money this year to upgrade all my cameras to HD / SD-card and should be able to put all this behind me after I get these 18 edited.... =)   18!!!  Aaaahhhhh!!!

oh... and to answer #4.... no... it does not show the frames in red that it is out of sync, I just can see visually.  It's like the video portion of the videos are running slightly slower. The audio is synced fine... but over an hour, just the video gets out of sync by approximately 12 frames. Early portions of the video are in sync and slowly overtime, get more and more out of whack.

• 15. Re: New computer Question
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Every so often I do a double check of my email notifications to make sure I have not forgotten anyone in the daily traffic. I came across a notification for your thread and wanted to make sure that I was up to date with our discussions.

With regard to your reply

oh... and to answer #4.... no... it does not show the frames in red that it is out of sync, I just can see visually.  It's like the video portion of the videos are running slightly slower. The audio is synced fine... but over an hour, just the video gets out of sync by approximately 12 frames. Early portions of the video are in sync and slowly overtime, get more and more out of whack.

What I was looking for here is a orange colored line over the Timeline content. I would not expect it to be there unless you had edited the Timeline video.

Render.JPG

This screenshot is from Premiere Elements 12. Are you still working with Premiere Elements 12/12.1? If you have been working without rendering the Timeline content, please explore the benefits of Timeline rendering for previewing in the Edit area of the project.

If you are progressing OK, no need to update unless you have new news and have the time.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: New computer Question
                                        CKENN19 Level 1

I just did a test conversion with the dvdate program. Before I converted the videos they were all in 6 sync. 6 of them.  After converting, 4 of them were out of sync.  This is all before I put them into PE12.

• 17. Re: New computer Question
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Thanks for the follow up which sent me on a search and discovery mission.

Until your report about DV AVI Type 1 to Type 2 with audio video out of sync in Type 2, I had not run into this issue in which you are involved.

Given Premiere Elements has problems with Type 1 and not Type 2....the suggestion of the DVDate conversion 1 to 2 never had feedback suggesting audio video out of sync when 1 was converted to 2.

However, search and discovery mission today came up with the following, note the dating of 2005.

Type-2 audio desync; Type-1 not [Archive] - Doom9's Forum

Please review the discussion in the link. Depending on how this goes, what are the chances of doing the DV data capture firewire into a program that will give DV AVI type 2 in the first place - like Premiere Elements?

ATR

• 18. Re: New computer Question
                                            CKENN19 Level 1

Now I remember why I never used PE to capture video. The connection between my camera and the program is sketchy sketchy, despite the fact that it isn't at all with Movie Maker and when I finally do get it to make a connection, the spinning circle of confusion begins and never recovers. I walked away from it and it is still spinning like it is locked up.

• 19. Re: New computer Question
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Thanks for the additional comment on your DV captures.

Were you using a firewire connection between the iLink of the camera and the firewire port of the computer?

I am recalling one of your posts a while back when you were running into a cable problem. Please remind me, was that cable problem related to the firewire cable for the capture firewire into the Premiere Elements capture window?

Have we previously referred to the Adobe documentation on Premiere Elements capture?

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Capture video

ATR

• 20. Re: New computer Question
                                                CKENN19 Level 1

I have 2 new HD and 3 dv cameras. I'm trying to ween myself off of the dv junk but unfortunately have shot a lot of stuff that still need to transferred from dv. I have a firewire 6pin with a firewire adapter. After I posted the last comment, I figured I'd try another camera and it worked with the 2nd camera. It is still transferring, so it must have been a problem with the camera's firewire port that I was initially using.  The first camera I used was my better camera... go figure.  Sorry for the false alarm.

I have a 2nd computer that I use just for batching and transferring videos and I installed my PE12 on it and am going to try to transfer this way for the rest of my stuff. Crossing fingers.

Thanks for responding on a Sunday btw.

• 21. Re: New computer Question
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Thanks for the updates.

Sounds like all under control.

Thanks for the opportunity to exchange thoughts on the Premiere Elements workflow.

ATR