3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 11:41 AM by ManiacJoe

Removing hot pixels in Lightroom

fligtar Level 1

Hi there,

I recently took a couple long exposure night shots that I later realized have a ton of red, green, and blue pixels all throughout the image. In looking into this online, I've learned they are likely "hot pixels", as they only show up in the images that were particularly, long exposure. See example below, with bad pixels in both the trees and star trails:

Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 8.11.38 PM.png

In reading online, I have seen that Lightroom should automatically remove hot/dead pixels, but it's not doing so in this case, possibly because there are so many. Is there any way for me to automatically remove these?

• 1. Re: Removing hot pixels in Lightroom
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

You have enough hot pixels that it may be confusing to the auto-removing algorithm so that it thinks they are data, maybe?

In the Develop module, Details panel, Noise Reduction, "color" slider, see if a setting of 15 helps you out. Experiment as necessary, but too high may affect the star trails.

• 2. Re: Removing hot pixels in Lightroom
            fligtar Level 1

Thanks for the reply! The Color slider was already on 25, and changing it to be more or less didn't seem to have any effect on the dots.

• 3. Re: Removing hot pixels in Lightroom
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Even though that is not the purpose of the Color slider, I thought it might be worth a try.

In this case something like what Nikon calls "long exposure noise reduction" might help you, if your camera has it, where a dark image of the same exposure time is subtracted from the original image to remove the stuck pixels and heat blooms, etc. However, that might also leave some gaps in your star trails.