6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 3:07 PM by dj_paige

how can i filter imports by media type?

tson

I prefer to import my photo and video files into separate locations, so I'd like to be able to set a filter on import to only show files based on media type.  As many cameras today provide both photo and video formats, most of my imports will show mixed media types, and the only way I can find to separate them is by individually checking each image/video to be imported.  This is obviously too time consuming and it would be much simpler if I could just set a filter on the import to display only media of one type.  I've recently switched to Lightroom from Aperture, which had that feature as a simple filter on the import dialog.  Is there another trick to doing this with Lightroom? 

• 1. Re: how can i filter imports by media type?
          dj_paige Level 9

Not a trick, really, it's a feature.

Near the bottom of the import dialog box, slightly to the right of center, is a dropdown menu that allows you to sort by capture time, selected state, filename, or type of media (photos and videos).

• 2. Re: how can i filter imports by media type?
            Nitin Gupta aka LP Adobe Employee

Hi Ted,

Its Simple, you can have a look at the screenshot attached. All you need to select all the files and then choose the preset you want to apply in the "Saved Preset"LR.PNG

Let me know if it helps

Cheers

Nitin

• 3. Re: how can i filter imports by media type?
              dj_paige Level 9

How nice of you @nitin_gupta to mark you own answer correct, even though it doesn't answer the original question and is completely unrelated to the original question about importing photos.

• 4. Re: how can i filter imports by media type?
                tson Level 1

Sorry but Sorting and Filtering are not the same.  I have used the Sort option on import, but if you sort by media type you lose the date order, and since I am importing files from a particular shoot or date range, I need them grouped together chronologically.  Unfortunately, if you sort by date and then by media type, the files are NOT ordered by date within each media type, as you might expect.  Once sorted by media type, the date order seems to be random or at least not chronological, so it doesn't help me.  I am looking to filter out the files by type from the import dialog so I can select only photos or video within a date range.

• 5. Re: how can i filter imports by media type?
                  tson Level 1

Maybe my original question was not clear... I'm not looking to filter the media once imported - I agree that is simple - but rather trying to filter the media on the Import Dialog.   The camera card contains a mixture of photos and video over a range of shoots/dates, and I want to import the photos and the videos in separate import batches so that I can place them in different locations.  Sorting the media in the import dialog by media type does not really help since it loses the date sort and results in the same problem - having to select files individually.

• 6. Re: how can i filter imports by media type?
                    dj_paige Level 9

Filtering is not available in the Import dialog box.

For better or worse, whether you like this philosophy or not, filtering must be done in the Library module and there you can easily move the photos to whatever folder you want.