7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 9:20 AM by joan_lafferty

Aspect Ratio for Canvas Size changes

Bob Howes Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is there a way to lock the aspect ration when changing the canvas size in Export As?  I used to use this constantly in Save for Web which I note is now labelled "Legacy".

• 1. Re: Aspect Ratio for Canvas Size changes
          divyamanian Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Bob, Canvas Size was never available in Save for Web. What you are looking for is Image Size. Image Size is locked to aspect ratio by default in Export As dialog.

• 2. Re: Aspect Ratio for Canvas Size changes

Sorry for the late reply...I got busy with a Premiere editing project and completely forgot I posted this.

Anyway, yes of course I meant image size...I plead posting late at night as mitigation!

Anyway, I've experimented and of course you're right.  However, the difference is that, unlike Export for web, the DISPLAYED number of pixels in the box does not change when you alter the other one--if you see what I mean.  I found it very useful to know the exact horizontal and vertical pixel sizes before I actually save in case I want to modify one or the other. 

For me, it's enough that I find myself still using the legacy Export for Web...and I'd like to wean myself off it but would like the Export As resizing to work the same way as the old system.

• 3. Re: Aspect Ratio for Canvas Size changes
              joan_lafferty Adobe Employee

Hi Robert,

The displayed number of pixels for width or height should change when you alter one to maintain the aspect ratio. Here is a quick video of this happening.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x125ei4k5m8o8we/quickWidthChange.mov?dl=0

If you are not seeing this behavior, maybe you are running into a bug. If that is the case, please share your PSD (if possible) and let me know what size you are trying to change to.

• 4. Re: Aspect Ratio for Canvas Size changes

Okay...thanks for the video.  I see what's happening.

On the old "Save for Web" if I changed (for example) the horizontal size to 800px, the vertical size displayed is automatically changing at the same time.

However, on your new Export As option, the number stubbornly stays at the original setting until I move the cursor and click on that box.  Saving without clicking the second box still results in the proper aspect ratio--but to see what size it turns out to be, you have to go through a couple of extra key clicks (and, I daresay, also risking accidentally changing the size when you're trying to correct the display in the second box (at least if you have fumble fingers like me.   I find the "Save for Web" behaviour makes much more sense.

I have some screen grabs I could send and you'd be welcome to a .png but it sounds like we know what's going on...it's just that the new method doesn't make as much sense to me!  Let me know if I can send you anything.

• 5. Re: Aspect Ratio for Canvas Size changes

I see your point on that and this is good feedback as to how we can make this more usable. I agree the save for web width/height updates are better. We'll see what we can do. Thanks!

Joan

• 6. Re: Aspect Ratio for Canvas Size changes

Thanks! 

FYI, I think that a general Export option makes more sense than having "Save For Web" hived off as a completely separate command--it just needs to make sure we gain rather than lose functionality!

• 7. Re: Aspect Ratio for Canvas Size changes

Yes, the plan is to eventually have Export and deprecate Save for Web. However, we have a lot of users using Save for Web and we do not have parity with the functionality of Save for Web yet. We will not get rid of it until customer feedback and data tell us that most everybody has moved over to Export from Save for Web.

Thanks again!

Joan