10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 12:21 PM by Szalam

After Effects crashing on tracking after cc and ae 2015 update.

jussiPer

Like title says..

Occurring after continuing tracking after uncertainty halt.
      System: HP Z820 in win 7.

No option to save before closing.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX64

Application Name: AfterFX.exe

Application Version: 13.5.0.347

Application Timestamp: 55642425

Fault Module Name: AfterFXLib.dll

Fault Module Version: 13.5.0.347

Fault Module Timestamp: 556423f7

Exception Offset: 00000000003c0584

Exception Code: c0000409

Exception Data: 0000000000000000

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1035

Additional Information 1: 1a6b

Additional Information 2: 1a6b2c768d0ab8be850c288c0c127fc8

Additional Information 3: de18

Additional Information 4: de1849dc7e03ed8e8a42d94e963a430c

No. I won't clean all my tools and whatever. Yes. You fix Your bugs.

• 1. Re: After Effects crashing on tracking after cc and ae 2015 update.
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you've found a bug, file a bug report with as much information as you can provide.

Things that would be helpful to know for both troubleshooting AND a bug report would be:

• What kind of footage were you tracking? (Format, codec, length, size, etc.)
          • Does it work on CC 2014?
          • What are your full system specs?
          • 2. Re: After Effects crashing on tracking after cc and ae 2015 update.
            jussiPer Level 1

This is me filing a bug report.

Some of us are paid to work with Adobe products. Others are paid to make and fix the products. Hope the others would focus on the make part so that there would be smaller amount of the fix part to do.

Crash occurred 3 times with AVC-Intra 100 1080i material. Clips were from 8s to 10s long. Does (did) work with CC 2014.

I mixed up the system with my other station. This one is Dell Precision T5500 with 2*Xeon X5675, 12 GB, Quadro 4000, win 7 64bit.

• 3. Re: After Effects crashing on tracking after cc and ae 2015 update.

Jussi Pernaa wrote:

Some of us are paid to work with Adobe products. Others are paid to make and fix the products. Hope the others would focus on the make part so that there would be smaller amount of the fix part to do.

I understand; I'm paid to work with the tools too! (I just hop on these forums during a render, while waiting for a meeting, or while on lunch).

Jussi Pernaa wrote:

This is me filing a bug report.

This is a user-to-user forum. It is not an official way to contact Adobe. I can try to be helpful, but if you want a bug fixed, you should file an actual bug report. It's just as easy as making a forum post, but is more likely to result in a fixed bug (especially if it is a bug and not something we can work through here).

I've not used AVC-Intra 100 with CC 2015, so I can't say whether it works well for me or not.

So you don't miss any deadlines, do the tracking work in CC 2014, then simply open that project file back up in CC 2015 and continue work. The project files are compatible between the two versions (which is handy, especially if your project would benefit from multiprocessing at render time).

If you have time for troubleshooting, is the crash repeatable? At what point does the crash happen? Is only after it stops for uncertainty and then starts again?

• 4. Re: After Effects crashing on tracking after cc and ae 2015 update.
                jimlefevre Level 1

jussiPer - Having exactly the same problem with CC2015 this morning, currently on my fourth crash. I very much sympathise with your sentiments too, however amazing AE is it's so upsetting when one finds oneself hitting a brick wall like this.

Shall follow Szalam's advice and file a report too...

• 5. Re: After Effects crashing on tracking after cc and ae 2015 update.

There have been a number of posts on here since this thread of a bug where AE crashes if you stop a track. If you let the track complete, it won't crash.

This makes CC 2015 unuseable for tracking. Thus, as I initially suggested in this thread, use CC 2014 to do your tracking.

Yet another reason I'm glad that CC 2014 can open CC 2015 files and that CC lets you access old versions of AE so easily.

• 6. Re: After Effects crashing on tracking after cc and ae 2015 update.
                    jimlefevre Level 1

Hmmm... unfortunately I'm doing a lot of lipsync work in between tracking and CC2014 has a horrific bug which means that it stops playing back audio when scrubbing and then refuses to preview (see these types of thread after effects error: cached preview needs 2 or more frames of playback) so I'm being rather shafted here.

It's an amazing tool but as much as one can be positive about little details like opening up comps in earlier versions (and/or that 2015 has fixed that scrubbing bug) it's a dreadfully sloppy habit that we've all slipped into when we accept that people can release something which isn't fully functional.

Still, there are other places to vent that kind of frustration, I'm just hoping that I can finish this job that my livelihood depends on before this very unhappy situation sends me mad.

• 7. Re: After Effects crashing on tracking after cc and ae 2015 update.
                      flablo Level 1

Same thing happening here. Crash without even a crash report. The app just disappears. This is just one of SEVERAL BUGS I'm fighting with every day with the Adobe Suite.

It is becoming unbearable. Why selling products and make us pay for them, when they aren't working? Why do we have to pay to test your product? There are too many bugs, too many.

If something is unstable it can't be sold, so just DON'T SEEL IT. Don't sell new versions with news features if they can't stay together.

Very pissed right now.

• 8. Re: After Effects crashing on tracking after cc and ae 2015 update.

flablo wrote:

If something is unstable it can't be sold, so just DON'T SEEL IT. Don't sell new versions with news features if they can't stay together.

While I understand your frustration at the amount of bugs in CC 2015, Adobe isn't "selling" new versions; they are offering a subscription to their services. The Creative Cloud service to which you subscribe makes available CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 versions. It is up to you which you would like to use. If the latest versions are too buggy for you to use, don't use them. Wait for the bug-fix updates and stay with versions that work for you. It's much less frustrating.

How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015

• 9. Re: After Effects crashing on tracking after cc and ae 2015 update.
                          flablo Level 1

Szalam wrote:

The Creative Cloud service to which you subscribe makes available CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 versions. It is up to you which you would like to use. If the latest versions are too buggy for you to use, don't use them. Wait for the bug-fix updates and stay with versions that work for you.

How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015

This would be true if the latest versions were advertised as "beta" versions, but they aren't. The fact that Adobe feels legit to say "just use the previous versions" is not appropriate.

How should I know about the bugs of the latest versions? Does Adobe warn us? Am I supposed to try them out, then go to the forums and spend time, then maybe downgrade the app in the middle of a job (which means start a project again from scratch)? I'm also supposed to be a professional, and this is being sold as professional software, not use-it-your-own-risk-and-find-out software. Every software have bugs, but this look like an infestation of bugs. I'm aware it's not your fault, Szalam. I'm just very disappointed by the performance of the software I'm paying for.

• 10. Re: After Effects crashing on tracking after cc and ae 2015 update.

flablo wrote:

How should I know about the bugs of the latest versions? Does Adobe warn us?

I agree that Adobe should have put a big notice out there saying, "AE CC 2015 represents the first step towards a brand new architecture. As such, there are likely to be a number of issues that we are unaware of, here are the things we know are messed up and here are the things that haven't been written for the new architecture yet." Now, the After Effects team at Adobe has been putting out blog posts warning folks about this (as evidenced by those links), but Adobe the bigger company didn't put it in their Creative Cloud software, website, or marketing materials. To compound the issue, they made the Creative Cloud software default to removing older versions. This was a bad time to do that, in my opinion and was a huge mistake on Adobe's part. I think it was flat out wrong. (The AE team seems to agree as they put out a blog post warning about that too.)

flablo wrote:...

downgrade the app in the middle of a job (which means start a project again from scratch)?

The good news is that you don't have to start anything from scratch. AE CC 2014 opens files created in CC 2015 with no problems at all. It's as if they were the same version. It's very handy.

I utilize that ability a lot. I work in CC 2015 for the (for me) snappier interface and SIGNIFICANTLY improved expression handling and then open the project in CC 2014 to render with multiprocessing.

flablo wrote:

I'm also supposed to be a professional, and this is being sold as professional software, not use-it-your-own-risk-and-find-out software.

I'm going to disagree with your post on this point. Every new version of software is a risky try. Back in the day (before the subscription model made it so easy for everyone to get the new version the day it releases), people would wait for months or even a year to buy the new version so that they could wait for the early adopters to try out the new versions and report on bugs. No professional that I worked with would even dream of upgrading their production machines until a new version had been vetted by the community (and themselves) first. This is part of the reason that defaulting to removing the old versions was a terrible idea.

I am fully with you on the frustrations with the new version though. There are some pretty bad bugs in it (like not being able to stop a motion track). The AE team has been doing a good job about making people aware of those problems as much as they can, but Adobe as a whole has not done what they should have.