7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 10:50 AM by Wolf Eilers

Lightroom CC 2015 syncing all files

penderra Level 1

I have just upgraded to the 2015 version, and all the files which have previously been synced with Lightroom Mobile have started resyncing again. I have rather a lot of files, and the process is really slowing down LR!

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 syncing all files
          greule Adobe Employee

Could you please send me a LR Desktop diagnostig log  - best as a private message with a downloadable dropbox link.

You can trigger the log via LR Desktop preferences -> Lightroom Mobile and when you hold down the alt key you will notice a generate diagnostic log button

A  re-sync should be metadata only and no binaries should be updated so the sync should be relatively quick - how many photos do you have synced?

-

Guido

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 syncing all files
            penderra Level 1

I have sent you a PM with the link. I have some 6000 files synced, and over 1K still to go. If I leave sync running, CPU goes 70-98%

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 syncing all files
              EricBier Level 3

I have the same problem.

If you would like my Log, I will need an email address to send it to.  I do not use Dropbox.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 syncing all files
                greule Adobe Employee

Since we’re fixing some width and height values as well as aperture data that was not correct we needed to update the meta-data of  your assets.

This is a metadata only sync and it should proceed relatively quickly. However, because it's metadata only we also tend to slam the CPU with as much as we can push as quickly as we can push it.

As a user you can certainly pause sync temporarily to defer it to a more convenient time in the event that this operation is interfering with your work.

-

Guido

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 syncing all files
                  penderra Level 1

Well, if that's the case, I have to say that it's a very bad decision. I would ask you to stop "slamming" my CPU! Sync is something that should happen very much in the background, and CPU use should be limited, or at least be programmed to be second in the CPU priority queue.

I don't entirely understand your comment that its should have gone through "relatively quickly" - until I pressed the pause button on sync, my PC was unusable, and the sync process of 6000 images probably took 7 hours.

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 syncing all files
                    penderra Level 1

See the thread at Re: Lightroom very high CPU since update

There are two points to note. The first is that there was a similar problem at the last major update, last year. The second is that ManiacJoe is saying that jpgs have to be created, so it is not, and never will be, a quick process. Does this mean we are going to have this problem every year and that it will get worse as the number of photos gets bigger?

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 syncing all files
                      Wolf Eilers Level 4

I notice that upgrading to Lr CC 2015.6 forced a re-sync of all mobile photos. I am not convinced it's just a meta-data sync since it's taking some time to sync all the photos. The Pending Sync Activity in Preferences shows "Uploading ... Renditions":