8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 8:02 AM by DesiRob

Error: cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback

lartifice Level 1

Hi, I'm having a nose around what's changed in AE 2015 and I can't get my head around how the new preview works.  I press 'space' once and it doesn't respond, doesn't seem to start caching, then I get this error if I press it again.  Same applies when using the buttons in the RAM preview window.  Any clues?  I was directed here by Adobe, isn't there a .pdf or something going through the new features?  I'm sure I'll work them all out soon enough but it would be good to have a quick start guide or something similar.

• 1. Re: Error: cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback
          lartifice Level 1

A bit of extra info, the preview seems to behave differently in different compositions.  In most it works as expected and plays whilst caching ahead and you can make changes whilst it does this.  Very cool, but in my main comp (with literally hundreds of pre-comps) it refuses to preview, cache or anything.  In another quite complex comp (60 or so layers / pre-comps) it also doesn't want to move.  What happens when I press space seems a little random as well, sometimes starting playback, sometimes starting to cache, sometimes nothing - is this just me?  Will post further details about project / setup if it is just me.

• 2. Re: Error: cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven't had any issues with it yet. Perhaps some setting changes would fix it for you.

You can read all about the new previewing features here: all about previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest

• 3. Re: Error: cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback
              lartifice Level 1

I think the issue is the audio mixing (didn't they used to call it muxing?), I had the info panel hidden behind the preview window and in fact the audio was taking a long time to mix or mux so it gave the impression nothing was happening, if I then tried to playback it would not have any frames to preview.  Audio muting stops it, obviously.  I do find the new preview a bit odd, given that keyframes are so closely tied to the playhead position I can't imagine many situations where I'd be able to make changes as it previews, though perhaps there are.

The new release seems a little buggy, it said I didn't have a CC 2015 subscription the first time I ran it (though nothing since) and there's an audio problem I mentioned in another thread.  The new features look good though (not sure I'll be using character animation any time soon but it's pretty impressive).

• 4. Re: Error: cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback

Tim Bentley wrote:

I do find the new preview a bit odd, given that keyframes are so closely tied to the playhead position I can't imagine many situations where I'd be able to make changes as it previews, though perhaps there are.

You can control-drag the current time indicator to any keyframe to adjust its properties while a preview is running. You can also adjust non-keyframed properties while a preview runs. For simple comps, I pretty much never stop the preview any more.

• 5. Re: Error: cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback
                  lartifice Level 1

I didn't realise that was possible, thanks :-)  Also you can double-click on the keyframe to change it, though it would be nice if it was more like C4D and you had complete control over a key's properties (oh and mask / shape points, that would be fantastic!) in a separate panel.  I've filed loads of requests for this but I guess christmas didn't come early this year.

• 6. Re: Error: cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback

Tim Bentley wrote:

...though it would be nice if it was more like C4D and you had complete control over a key's properties (oh and mask / shape points, that would be fantastic!) in a separate panel.  I've filed loads of requests for this but I guess christmas didn't come early this year.

Well, once they get the rendering speed-up sorted out for the next version (as implied here), they'll probably have more time to devote to UI fixes like that. Seriously needs to happen! If you have friends who work with AE and they would like to see this updated too, have them file feature requests too. The more requests, the more likely it will be.

• 7. Re: Error: cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback
                      lartifice Level 1

Yeah I've been pestering Adobe about it for years, our day will come...

I teach AE in quite a few colleges in France and often suggest that the students file requests (my game is deep), though I don't suppose many of them do. 

• 8. Re: Error: cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback
                        DesiRob

After working through a few kinks with my co worker, we found a solution that could work:

- Allocate more memory to after effects.

- Reload all of your footage.

- Go into all of your comps and load them into the cache separately. What I mean is, go into your comps and preview them first. From what we could tell, if after effects hasn't previewed them before you combined them together into a huge comp, it tends to take more out of AE to load both the comps individually, and the new combined comp made out of said comps.

I really hope this helps. I'd been struggling with this as well, and Adobe's customer support only temporarily solved my problem.