1 2 Previous Next 63 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 8:44 AM by Szalam Branched to a new discussion.

AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?

HerrRotkohl Level 1

When I try to preview my composition, the audio playback skips the first second or so.

At the 2nd loop it works.

Anyone else?

(OSX 10.10.3, MacBookPro)

• 1. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
          lartifice Level 1

Yes I'm getting this as well, it's an improvement on 2014 when neither audio nor video played for the first couple of seconds but a shame the audio is missing.

• 2. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
            ccullington Level 1

I'm getting the same exact issue, although for me audio playback also seems to sporadically stutter throughout the preview.

• 3. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
              benm562737 Level 1

Ditto!

"audio playback also seems to sporadically stutter throughout the preview."

Mac Pro late 2013 6 core 32g ram. Yosemite

• 4. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                optometryt89033873 Level 1

Audio is playing really badly for me. If I do audio preview (.) it cuts out whenever I leave a mark (*) too, which makes keyframing to speech a lot harder.

There is the option to playback the audio when not rendering at full speed, but to me the rendering issue seems really messed up. I can't seem to just render a preview then play it.

• 5. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                  HerrRotkohl Level 1

sorry folks, after waiting half a year for this update, I'm disappointed.
                  I expected more. I didn't expected more features (there are no more features, which I appreciate. Bye, bye brainstorm tool!!)
                  I only expected AE doing what it does in a proper way.
                  And more speed.

Instead of starting freshly with my current AE job with a fresh AE Version I find myself fiddling around with the software, wondering what works and what doesn't in this software .

• 6. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                    lartifice Level 1

I think it might be 2 different issues, the stuttering I get only happens when the playback drops below realtime, a bit like the video slowing down, only it seems to stutter like you say instead of slow down. 

The first few seconds missing is a pain as it was my bete noire in the last version, though it was easy enough to work around (and the video was the main issue, not the sound).  It was a well-known issue and I guess it's half fixed...

• 7. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                      benm562737 Level 1

Right! There's a setting in preferences > preview to turn the "mute when not playing realtime". Which begs the question, when I do a preview at half resolution and the status bar is fully green in my preview area, why would AE not play at full speed? I've got pretty fast machine. Is AE just slow in that regard?

• 8. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                        lartifice Level 1

That's really strange, did it just start happening with the 2015 update?  I haven't had this problem before or after the update.

• 9. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                          HerrRotkohl Level 1

benm562737 schrieb:

Right! There's a setting in preferences > preview to turn the "mute when not playing realtime"

Thanks for this information, feauxdartifice.

If I deselect the option "mute when not playing realtime" in the Prefs my Audio-Preview works instantly.
                          The composition I'm working on is really very simple, 30fps, preview has 50% of HD 720 and adaptive resolution.
                          So, I wonder why AE isn't able to preview it in realtime speed in my case?
                          On the other hand: AE isn't really muting the sound. It "only" skips the beginning and stutters.
                          It seems to be a bug in this function in the Prefs.
                          ???

• 10. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                            benm562737 Level 1

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it has something to do with the way Yosemite access RAM and AE hasn't rectified it yet. Do you have Mavericks still?

• 11. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We have a couple of known issues with audio preview that match the description here. They are our highest priority for a bug-fix update that we're targeting for July.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                ccullington Level 1

I'm having the issues on a Windows 8.1 machine, FYI.

• 13. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                  martinc13962311 Level 1

Have you all learned nothing? Who installs a .0 version of Adobe software and expects it to work??? Come on hands up...

It was released with bugs to hit a marketing opportunity, not the convenience of the fools that pay for it!

Dont test the software for them, read the forums and wait until at least patch .2!

• 14. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                    ccullington Level 1

...I didn't expect it to fully work and I'm not bashing Adobe for releasing it this way... If everybody did things your way, there would be no forum posts for anybody to check. I'm getting plenty of adding functionality out of the update and I'm contributing to the community with posts regarding these issues. You're really adding very little to this particular conversation...

• 15. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                      lartifice Level 1

I agree, though I was a bit disappointed that the first-few-seconds bug is still there (in some form) as it suggests it might be a long-term issue but other than that it seems a pretty stable release.  No software is perfect at launch anyway and this is a minor glitch with a very easy workaround (either play through once or start the preview earlier), waiting months for an update which might not fix it anyway seems a bit daft.

• 16. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                        Splurj Level 1

My preview is not realtime any of the time now since the last update @ 0.436 fps, how is that even possible?

• 17. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                          Splurj Level 1

I've not been able to preview anything successfully since the update, the audio is completely out of sync and stutters like mad.

Before you used to be able to press a space/0 to start caching a preview and then press it again to start seeing it, what happened to that? Now when you press anything it just stops.

And I found the green/blue caching bar useful in the last version.

I like the idea of being able to assign different settings to different buttons for previewing but overall I'm so disappointed, I feel sick! I think I might need to reinstall CC2014.

• 18. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                            lartifice Level 1

The 0.436 fps is very strange if it's happening when the comp has already rendered (i.e. green line at top).  Have you tried Preferences -> Display -> 'Show rendering progress in info panel and flowchart'?  Might give you an idea what's causing the bottleneck.  The audio is bound to stutter at that speed, it seems to stutter rather than slow down when AE (2015) can't play realtime.  I initially thought the preview wasn't working too but keeping an eye on the info panel I realised it was mixing down the audio for 10 or so seconds before previewing.  After one day of use, either the preview isn't quite working the way it's intended or I'm totally missing something, it seems to behave a bit unpredictably.

• 19. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                              HerrRotkohl Level 1

Splurj schrieb:

And I found the green/blue caching bar useful in the last version.

There is a green/blue caching bar in the time line in my AE CC2015.

Not in your's?

• 20. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                Splurj Level 1

That's odd. I've noticed that one of my project shows the progress bar, but another one doesn't at all. Very strange.

• 21. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                  Splurj Level 1

I do have 'Show rendering progress in info panel and flowchart' selected yes.

It shows the 'Not playing in realtime' message the whole time when previewing just 1 second.

Another strange thing, it seems to play in realtime when I switch to writing this message in Chrome and I can see in the info panel on my other screen and hear from the speakers that it's now playing in realtime, but as soon as I switch back to AE it stops playing in realtime again.

I'm getting in the region of 21/22 fps with this other project I'm working on at the minute too, and the green progress bar shows in this project but not in the other one.

• 22. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                    jhlacy Level 1

Splurj wrote:

My preview is not realtime any of the time now since the last update @ 0.436 fps, how is that even possible?

Same thing was happening to me.  I have 64 GB of RAM and 1TB SSD with 200 GB of it allocated to my cache.  I figured I shouldn't be having this problem with such a fast machine.  As it turned out, all 200 GB of cache storage was full, so I cleared it and it went back to playing in real time at the proper frame rate.  So, my advice is to clear your cache regularly via Preferences > Media & Disk Cache... > Empty Disk Cache... Hope that helps you!

• 23. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                      Splurj Level 1

I've emptied the disk cache, cleaned database and cache, and purged all memory and disk cache.

This is happening on my Mac Pro (Late 2013) at work (3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB) which I'm convinced isn't as reliable as my 12 Core Mac Pro (Mid 2012), 64GB RAM, 3xSSD with Nvidia GTX650 at home. I haven't tried it at home since the update, but I hope it's fine, I'll let you know.

• 24. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                        martinc13962311 Level 1

Can you not just go back to 2014? At least that only skips the first second of every RAM preview. As always with AE you have to choose between the lesser of two evils.

• 25. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In this thread, Tim Kurkoski suggests

Preferences > Previews, Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-Time. If you disable this, the audio delay will not occur, but when playback is not real-time the audio will stutter. Note that the stuttering audio in the not real-time case is intentional: in After Effects CC 2015 we fixed the audio clock so that it stays in sync with the video, but that meant addressing what happens with audio when it is out of sync.

• 26. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                            Splurj Level 1

Muting the audio doesn't help because I can't get it to play in real time and that still means having to choose between either no audio or stuttering audio, neither of which are any good.

• 27. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                              martinc13962311 Level 1

This doesn't fix the issue.

• 28. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                                jhlacy Level 1

Agreed.  I'm re-downloading CC 2014 now so I can finish my project.  This update has been nothing but a headache.

I really wish Adobe would solely focus on speed and workflow enhancements instead of these "fun" features like the Face Tracker.  I think I speak for all serious AE professionals when I say that improving speed and having a flawless workflow is the ONLY thing worth improving upon in AE.

• 29. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                                  martinc13962311 Level 1

I have been singing that tune for years... Falling on deaf ears! They like their marketing gimmicks more than feed back from pro users. Hard to get people to sign up to a subscription model if you don't have new features to draw them in I guess.

Apparently the character animator was I different crew, makes you wonder why they don't use the extra people to just get the software working! Guess Adobe have got to eat... And you have got to keep paying for broken software.

• 31. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?

jhlacy wrote:

I really wish Adobe would solely focus on speed and workflow enhancements instead of these "fun" features like the Face Tracker.  I think I speak for all serious AE professionals when I say that improving speed and having a flawless workflow is the ONLY thing worth improving upon in AE.

I think we would agree with you on that. Speed and workflow enhancements (and some better integration with C4D maybe) is all I really want. Well, I would also like some more mograph stuff like C4D's cloners, align to spline tag, etc. And some built-in object removal stuff would be nice. Ooooh, and some dynamic wiggling built in (like the Rubberize It tool from AEscripts)

...Okay, I can think of a lot of things I would like, but speed and workflow enhancements are top of my list!

In the AE team's defense though, that's what most of the team has been doing for the past year. Almost all of the updates in this new version are speed and workflow enhancements. The Face Tracker technology is from Project Animal (now known as Character Animator), so it didn't really take much development time from the AE folks (although, I agree with orchardpost30 that I would have preferred to just use those folks in the AE team). In AE, the new expression error handling is a HUGE boon and the new preview system is very helpful. However, the big chunk of work they've been doing has to do with rewriting the core code of AE. The problem is, rewriting the inner parts of software as complex as AE will result in quite a few things that need to be tweaked and some big bugs that get through. At least we have some pretty stable software for most users overall. To be honest, with such a big change to the core, I expected a lot more people to have a lot more serous problems! Also, to compare, Modo's new release (which is supposed to be their "most stable yet") is still crashing hard for a lot of folks if you read their forums. It doesn't even pass the "monkey test"; you can crash it by just mashing on the keys of your keyboard randomly. Modo has a good customer support team and they are working on releasing bug fixes pretty rapidly and so is the After Effects team.

• 32. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                                      Splurj Level 1

In conclusion to my earlier comment about performance on the Quad Core Mac Pro (Late 2013) vs the 12 Core Mac Pro (Mid 2012) I don't seem to have any previewing issues on my older 12 Core Mac. I assume the additional VRAM on the Nvidia GPU might play a part in this too. I'm happy again - except when I'm at work

• 33. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                                        HerrRotkohl Level 1

What sense does it make (for the users) that all CC Apps have to be released at the same time?
                                                                        Doesn't it make much more sense to release an application at that point of time when it is ready to release?
                                                                        Or when an update is urgently needed?

• 34. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?

Stefan Böker wrote:

What sense does it make (for the users) that all CC Apps have to be released at the same time?
                                                                          Doesn't it make much more sense to release an application at that point of time when it is ready to release?
                                                                          Or when an update is urgently needed?

I agree that being forced into a timed release with an entire suite of apps is silly from a user's point of view (marketing team, on the other hand...) This release could have waited to be released and it would have had fewer bugs. But people were desperately clamoring for the AE team and Adobe to release this update - nearly screaming for it.

Then they release it and people are complaining that they released it too soon. They're getting yelled at either way.

Here's the thing: this release is a huge boon for folks on Yosemite as it removes the annoying RAM preview issue (and it's great for a lot of other things too - try using Ouroboros now vs. CC 2014!), so I'm glad they released it when they did. However, if it's not working for you, wait until next month's update for some of these bugs to be fixed and continue to use CC 2014 in the meantime.

• 35. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                                            cartoonmario Level 1

I just finished editing my first video in CC 2015 and the decimal key used to play audio instantly. Now it skips ahead and I counted  10 second delays each time I press it before it even starts. And of course, they deleted CC 2014 from my hard drive on install, so I can't go back to that. Thanks for making deadline pressure even more crushing and stressful.

• 36. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?

Mario wrote:

deleted CC 2014 from my hard drive on install, so I can't go back to that.

Good news! You can go back!

How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015 | Adobe Customer Care Team

Mario wrote:

And of course, they deleted CC 2014 from my hard drive on install,

They didn't do that. There's an option on updating where it wouldn't remove anything: keeping previous versions installed when installing CC 2015 applications | After Effects region of interest

You just have to click it.

• 37. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                                                martinc13962311 Level 1

You're like the guy going down on the Titanic still playing the violin!

I think what most of us are getting at is 2015 simply isn't an improvement. And considering how buggy 2014 is that is saying something! I understand that it's a stepping stone to better things, but we are essentially being asked to pay for Beta software. This version is not ready for market, so we are stuck with the older version and all the issues that has.

Using AE has become an exercise in compromise, patience and random fits of anger!

• 38. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                                                  mindpotion Level 1

My god are is adobe trying to piss off the industry.  They had similar problems throughout the 2014 version???  how about....don't put it out until it works!  Saves us a lot of headache and wasteful work time

• 39. Re: AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?
                                                                                    lartifice Level 1

I honestly don't have the same experience of CC 2014 - apart from missing the first seconds of RAM preview and a couple of expressions issues I rarely experienced any bugs in the last version of CC 2014, what other problems did it have?

The 2015 update is a little buggy but I think it was released at about the right time, it's an improvement in most ways and if Adobe were to wait until the software is entirely bug-free I don't suppose they'd ever release it.  Given the number of different operating system versions, plug-ins, scripts etc. I just don't think a program like AE will ever be 100% bug free, the best we can hope for is that none of these bugs are critical.

I'm really not an Adobe apologist, but AE is a vast program with a pretty small team and I guess the things that work impress me enough to forgive those things that don't work so well.  I also don't think Adobe would do any of these things to piss off the industry, why would they want to do that?  Obviously it's really annoying when software you've paid for doesn't work as it should but that doesn't mean they've done it deliberately.  The best thing to do is to file a bug report and try and find a stop-gap solution.

1 2 Previous Next