21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2015 7:07 AM by ssprengel

Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me

NickoBe Level 1

I have installed the Lightroom 6.1 update over the 6.01 which I bought a month ago. The new features like "dehaze" and local white and black level adjustments aren't available. Dehaze should be available as a slider in develop under effects. It's not there.

I have a horrible feeling these new features are only available to people that rent the software as opposed to people like me that bought it outright.  As I missing something?  Is there a work around?  If not it is pretty upsetting that people that pay upfront are denied updates within a programme version.  I hope someone can shed light on what is going wrong or what I am doing wrong. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
          whsprague Level 4

It is not supposed to be in LR6.  It is said that it will only be in Lightroom CC.  This is the first time ever in CC history that their is a difference.  When LR6 was announced a few months ago Adobe explained that it would be kept up to date with ACR changes for new camera models.  But, it was also explained that Lightroom CC "could" get new features as well.  Most seemed to ignore it.  For now and probably in the future, LR 6 and LR CC will be different in various ways.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
            JoeKostoss Level 4

NickoBe wrote:

...I have a horrible feeling these new features are only available to people that rent the software as opposed to people like me that bought it outright...

There should be no "Horrible Feelings" here; it was explained by Adobe during the introduction of LR CC and LR 6.  The "horrible" thing is that many people got themselves wrapped up into such a tizzy over the CC concept, that they completely overlooked this part of the equation.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
              NickoBe Level 1
              it was also explained that Lightroom CC "could" get new features as well.  Most seemed to ignore it.  For now and probably in the future, LR 6 and LR CC will be different in various ways.

It wasn't explained to me and I had chats with Adobe sales people before buying it.  I bought LR6 left to assume as always that updates for that version would be available until it was no longer supported following the launch of a new version level e.g. LR7.

Feeling a bit cheated.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                dj_paige Level 9

I agree with you Joe, people were focused on how horrible the CC concept was.

But I look at it this way ... in the long run, the payments for LR CC are more than you would pay for the standalone version. Because you pay more, you get more features ... I have lots of services that work that way (cable tv, satellite radio, service plans on my furnace, etc.) ... pay more, get more features. It's not a new or difficult to understand concept. And I don't see it as cheating the customers in any way.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                  Jim Wilde Level 5

NickoBe wrote:

I bought LR6 left to assume as always that updates for that version would be available until it was no longer supported following the launch of a new version level e.g. LR7.

Feeling a bit cheated.

And those updates will continue in exactly the same way as in previous releases for perpetual licence holders. Those "dot version" updates have only ever contained bug fixes and new camera/lens support, apart from the occasional new feature in the ".1" release if the accounting period timing rules permitted, but that was not possible this time around (even if Adobe had wanted to include DeHaze in the 6.1 version).

So really, nothing has changed for perpetual license holders.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

NickoBe wrote:

I have a horrible feeling these new features are only available to people that rent the software as opposed to people like me that bought it outright.  As I missing something?  Is there a work around?  If not it is pretty upsetting that people that pay upfront are denied updates within a programme version.  I hope someone can shed light on what is going wrong or what I am doing wrong. Thank you.

It was made clear from the beginning that Lightroom 6 would not receive feature updates. People who think they "own" software such as Lightroom 6 don't understand. You don't own the software. You purchase a license to use software. And when you purchase a version such as Lightroom 6 you purchase that product. The creative cloud license is the way to go if you expect all updates as they are made available. But don't despair, Lightroom 7 might be released in a couple of years. You can expect that some of these feature updates will be included.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                      NickoBe Level 1

I've been buying Adobe software (almost the full suite) for the last 18 years. Would go for the full suite upgrade every 2 or 3 years or so. In that time some major new features have had absolutely no relevance to me but I've paid up just to be up to date and compatible with third parties.

For the first time I feel Adobe are holding me over a barrel, teasing me, inventing near unscrupulous ways of getting me to give them more money when it isn't in my best interests.

The goodwill has gone.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                        Samoreen Level 2

Hi,

A limited access to Dehaze from LR 6.1 is explained here : Lightroom 6.1/CC 2015.1 Updates - Topaz Discussion

Not very practical, though.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me

Whether you like it or not, software marketing is changing. Microsoft is gone to cloud subscription, Adobe has gone to cloud subscription, and I'm sure other software developers are looking at the same approach. You can try to hold back the tide, but I'm afraid it's a losing battle. You get what you pay for. If you purchased Lightroom 6, that is what you got.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For the first time I feel Adobe are holding me over a barrel, teasing me, inventing near unscrupulous ways of getting me to give them more money when it isn't in my best interests.

Well, Adobe is just doing its job - rather well apparently.

You have got what you've paid for. You see more over the fence but you're not inclined to jump to the subscription model to get it.

In the long run, Cloud subscribers are paying more than you're paying. So be content with what you have.

All new features (currently Cloud only) will eventually be available to you at upgrade cost in LR7 - whenever that may be released.

• 11. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                              NickoPil Level 1

Which new feature will Adobe include in the update of each version is their business (although I, as a standalone version user, am feeling somewhat cheated here). There are more serious issues with this update of standalone LR 6 however - apparently one cannot install the update without installing some additional software, like CC manager.  Adobe does not even bother to ask if one is content or not with installing this piece of SW.  With or without the new features this update is very needed because 6.01 is plagued with bugs, so Adobe owns it to us.  It is like buying any other product – the flaws should be fixed free of charge.  So, for us the standalone version users, this update is some sort of blackmail: ‘you will get it but on the price of accepting some CC SW on your machine. And hopefully at the end you will move to the CC version altogether’.  Wrong, Adobe! I will move to DXO Optics Pro or Capture One. It is that simple.  

• 12. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                                jjespdk Level 1

I don't like it. Do you know what you are accepting as a customer Jim? In one or two years, the consumer has no chance to see where his money is going. All these cloud services will make it so hard to have an overview of. 10$ for MS-Word each month, 10$ for Excel, 10$ for Lightroom, 5 for Notepad, 2 for the weather app, Netflix, Viaplay, Windows cloud cloud cloud. We, as customers have to say no.

Just take Internet Explorer. I work as developer. How do you think all intranet sites will react when Microsoft just roll out a new IE version in the cloud? Nothing will work. To me all this cloud is giving all control from the consumer to the cloud companies. I say no, that is why I chose LR6 and not CC. What if I decide to take a break from photographing for a couple of months? Should my money still go to Adobe? How can I remember to cancel every subscription I have, when I am not using the service for a period of time?

• 13. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                                  LeeBos Level 1

I wonder how many "Government Employees" like Cloud computing?

I knew what I was getting when I bought LR6 and if it was a choice of Lightroom CC or sticking with Lightroom 5 I would have Kept LR5.

If Windows goes subscription based then M$ will loose a customer.

I don't use LR enough to justify the monthly fee.

• 14. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                                    jjespdk Level 1

LeeBos skrev:

I wonder how many "Government Employees" like Cloud computing?

I knew what I was getting when I bought LR6 and if it was a choice of Lightroom CC or sticking with Lightroom 5 I would have Kept LR5.

If Windows goes subscription based then M$ will loose a customer.

I don't use LR enough to justify the monthly fee.

Windows will go subscription based. Windows 10 will be the last MS OS you can buy as a product. From that on it will be a cloud service. And I am sure Adobe will do the same with LR6.

I upgraded to LR6 from 5.7 since I believed that LR6 would be updated just like CC, and thought when LR7 came out, I had to buy this version where CC customers didn't. Just like always. But since this is not the case (my bad, should have contacted Adobe, and read the terms more carefully before upgrading), I feel a little cheated. If I could, I would just go back to LR5.7 and save the money. LR6 is running so slow anyway on my 3 year old Dell i7 laptop, and I can't afford a new one. And LR6 is the only product that runs so slow on my machine. So for me the upgrade to LR6 was a waste of money.

That said, I love LR and it is my favorite photo software!

• 15. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                                      NickoBe Level 1

I feel the same way and like you, naively or stupidly perhaps, I assumed LR6 would be updated until LR7 came along and that would be time to pay again for the upgrade.

One thing I will say is the bug fixes that did install over LR 6.01 for 6.1 have made a big difference.  LR6.01 was almost unusable as it caused my iMac quad core i7 to overheat and in a short space of time the fans would be blowing so hard I had to put the Mac to sleep to let it cool down. LR6.1 has fixed this.

• 16. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                                        ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Adobe said back when it was launched that Lightroom 6 will receive bug fixes and new camera and lens profiles on an ongoing basis (as standalone versions always have), but no added/new features... Only CC will get those.

Compare Your Options: The Differences Between Lightroom 6 vs. CC

• 17. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                                          woodyhawkeye Level 1

It was NEVER made clear. That is the issue here. You have to be a translator for Adobe or talk to someone who understands what is going on internally in the corporation. They use a foreign language. I really hope I find a product somewhere that I can use. I spent a great deal of time learning this product only to find out Adobe wants a monthly fee and does not license the product in the traditional sense any longer. I was a developer my entire career in the computing industry and have never seen such terrible release and marketing methods. I paid about $70 for what I already had. Totally ridiculous!!  How do I get a refund? I have 6.0 and there is a 6.1 ACCORDING TO DOCUMENTS PUBLISHED RIGHT HERE ON THE ADOBE SITE, BUT CAN'T GET ANY MAINTENANCE ON WHAT I HAVE. Situations like this generate lawsuits.

• 18. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me

What is unclear about this notice that Lightroom 6 will not receive feature updates?

Capture.JPG

If you purchased directly from Adobe it explained what you would and wouldn't be getting. If you didn't take the time to read, I think that is your problem.

• 19. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                                              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you saying Help / Updates doesn't get you LR 6.1?

You can manually download the LR 6.0.1 and LR 6.1 updates from the links available on this page, just above the Top Features video:

New Adobe Lightroom 6 (CC) Direct Download Links – Free Trials | ProDesignTools

• 20. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                                                woodyhawkeye Level 1

This was very helpful. navigating through the Adobe website is a monster headache now. It takes me forever to find these things. It worked once I cold find it, No, the HELP UPDATES method did not work for 6.1. I hope it does in the future. Anyway, the application engineers  apparently used a configuration design to separate CC and 6.1. That is good because under the covers, the apps are exactly the same. Maintenance is administered differently to realize the two approaches to marketing. That software design makes an easier way to ensure changes in source occur to both CC and standalone version simultaneously.Adobe should realize however, that free trials should be with the actual configuration that the user wants to test. I understand the approach to sell the CC product but when a user tests an app, he needs to test what he intends to purchase, not what Adobe wants to sell to him. In the future, I hope they realize this is a flaw in their approach.

• 21. Re: Lightroom 6.1 update - New Features Unavailable to Me
                                                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR 6.1 should have updated normally with Help / Updates.  There was an emergency update LR 6.0.1 in late April and it seems like if you didn't apply that, then the LR 6.1 update doesn't  work.  I don't think this is a difference between LR CC and LR 6, but merely a bug in the update process that doesn't know how to handle the .0.1 version, properly.