31 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2015 1:44 PM by NickoPil

Dehaze control 6.1?

biron66590

I don't see the word "Dehaze" under the Effects control ... where is it??

• 1. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you update to 6.1? What version is system info in LR showing?

Is the photo in Process Version PV2012 (latest)?

Are you on subscription?

• 2. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
            JoeKostoss Level 4

Dehaze is a new feature in LR CC; it is not available in LR 6.  It will most likely be offered in LR 7, which is more than a year away.

• 3. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
              whsprague Level 4

It is not supposed to be in LR6.  It is said that it will only be in Lightroom CC.  This is the first time ever in CC history that their is a difference.  When LR6 was announced a few months ago Adobe explained that it would be kept up to date with ACR changes for new camera models.  But, it was also explained that Lightroom CC "could" get new features as well.  Most seemed to ignore it.  For now and probably in the future, LR 6 and LR CC will be different in various ways.

• 4. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                biron66590 Level 1

Yeah Adobe tightening the screws for people who just want stand alone LR ... I'm not part of the 'moony is no object' crowd.

• 5. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                  whsprague Level 4

biron66590 wrote:

Yeah Adobe tightening the screws for people who just want stand alone LR ... I'm not part of the 'moony is no object' crowd.

I too enjoy a good rant once in awhile.  But, take a closer look.  It used to be that everything we bought went from manufacturer to distributor to retailer before you got it on the shelf.  Adobe, and many others, have figured out a way to deliver products directly to you.  There is not even any packaging cost!   Even Costco has figured out how to remove at least one step in distribution.

Getting a month of Lightroom and Photoshop, with constant ongoing incremental improvements, for $10 month is what I would pay for a 36 shot roll of film with processing.  It is also what a restaurant salad cost me yesterday for lunch.   It is about 3 gallons of gas!

Adobe is not putting the screws to anyone.  They are offering a gift!  There are alternatives.  But, even those are drifting to cloud based distribution. 

• 6. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                    JoeKostoss Level 4

This was well announced at the introduction of LR CC and LR 6.  It should come as no surprise!  Some of us chose the CC subscription and some complained that the cost was too much and the concept was unappealing.  It is what it is, just as Adobe said it would be.  There are no hidden screws being tightened!

• 7. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                      biron66590 Level 1

Maybe ... but when you're retired as I am, it's a race to the end against inflation ... adding more and more "subscriptions" to your life, Adobe's not the only expense in life turning to 'subscription',  goes against my survival instincts ... the last standalone version of LR will be my last version of LR.  I'll wait till the next upgrade, but if it does't come it won't be the end of the world.

• 8. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                        JoeKostoss Level 4

Great, that is your choice, one that I understand.  So...why is it now considered "tightening the screws". 

• 9. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                          biron66590 Level 1

Well ... to answer your question, it was stated by Adobe at some point in the past that stand alone LR would always be available, and maybe that's partly a conclusion I arrived at by making a faulty assumption, but to start distancing improvements in LR between CC and standalone does appear to me as "tightening the screws".  That's my impression ... it started with obscuring where and how to download the standalone version (not obvious and easy) ... That's Adobe's choice and they're free to do so, but I've been a LR supporter user since Ver. 1.0 and I don't like the marketing pressure to spend my money.  That's it ... I'm done with this and the last version of standalone LR will be my last upgrade. 

• 10. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                            NickoBe Level 1

I know what you're saying. I also understand the attitudes of adobe employees and share holders too. The arguments of each side are obvious.

I feel Adobe have turned a corner. Short term clever but it could come back to bite them. People will now be looking for an alternative. As we all know, power is cyclicle and businesses lose the plot at the top of their game.

• 11. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                              biron66590 Level 1

I agree... I will look for an alternative once standalone updates cease.

Sent from my iPhone

• 12. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                PhilbyAfghanistan Level 1

This stinks. Some of us live in countries where internet access is dubious. We need stand alone apps, and having paid for LR 6 (and previous versions, now there is the CC elite and the rest of us...Poor form. I will be swapping to Serif products once they come out with a competitive photo management app. I already use their designer and photos apps.

• 13. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                  habanr Level 1

I see the main problem of CC is in the Adobe license. If you stop paying the CC will not work! Correct and polite solution to customers would be, if the CC will not be updated, not stopped. Really I don't want to be an Adobe's mouse in a cage running a money treadmill...

• 14. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                    dj_paige Level 9

If you stop paying the CC will not work!

That's not true. Most of Lightroom still works if you stop paying, you can access all of your previous work, search for and export the photos. The Map module and the develop module stops working if your subscription is not paid up to date.

• 15. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                      dj_paige Level 9

This stinks. Some of us live in countries where internet access is dubious. We need stand alone apps

Lightroom CC does not require constant internet access. It requires internet access once a month to make sure your subscription is paid, and other than that it can be disconnected from the Internet.

• 16. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                        habanr Level 1

Yes it's true. I've bought a photo editing software not photo viewing software. I expect I'll be able to edit photos even my license expires. I don't need each month new functions...

• 17. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                          habanr Level 1

So once a month the photographers in Afganistan must sit on a donkey and travel hours to the nearist city with internet to satisfy  what Adobe needs :-)

• 18. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                            Jim Wilde Level 5

And the perpetual licence version can run forever without an internet connection, as long as the user remains "signed-in" (which should be the normal situation, as an internet connection would be required to "sign-out").

• 19. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                              Jim Wilde Level 5

habanr wrote:

So once a month the photographers in Afganistan must sit on a donkey and travel hours to the nearist city with internet to satisfy  what Adobe needs :-)

Not really. The CC version can run for 99 days without an internet connection, and even then there will be ways of reactivating by phone (is it OK to assume the user has a phone?).

• 20. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?

Yeah, thats funny....hang on. I actually did live for 7 years in Afghanistan, filing photos and stories from there, and believe me, internet access and phone access are a luxury, at least until very recently. But the key point I am making is that having paid for an item, I expect to get the full deal. I'll pay for LR 7 when it comes, but why give an upgrade to only the CC users? Poor form.

• 21. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                                  NickoBe Level 1

Sounds like you're best off sticking to pre-CC software and in the case of Lightroom LR6 for now. 

Over the past 18 years I've tended to update adobe CS as it was every three years. There wasn't enough worthwhile advance to update more often. Hopefully there's still plenty of life in my existing set up.

Don't forget you can have a great camera and still be a rubbish photographer in the same way you can have up to date software and still be rubbish retoucher of designer.

• 22. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?

If you have ever shot images in Afghanistan, you'll know there is an incredible amount of dust in the air, always, due to the geology and the climate.  Most shots look over exposed because of all the light reflecting of the microscopic silica floating around. A de-haze tool would be wonderful...

• 23. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                                      Jeremy Enness

I'm confused about the Dehaze effect, has the update actually been released for Lightroom CC ?  According to My CC activity list I'm up to date with Lightroom  CC upgrades. , it's showing Lightroom CC (2015). In the effects panel I still only have Post Crop vignetting and Grain controls (using  Process 2012 (current)

Thanks

• 24. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                                        NickoBe Level 1

Yes, can image, from the few demos I've seen it seems to be a very neat tool and I've got a few UK shots that could benefit from a dehaze tweak.

• 25. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                                          NickoBe Level 1

imagine

• 26. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check your Help / System Info to see what version of LR you have.

Dehaze is part of LR CC 2015.1, but not part of 2015.0.1 from a few weeks ago nor LR 6.1, the corresponding serial-number-licensed version of LR. 

Assuming you have a Photography CC subscription or a full CC subscription, my guess is that the CC Desktop app needs a kick to get it to see the newest update(s).  Try signing out using Gear / Prefs / Signout then restart it via the Start menu.  If that doesn’t work, do an End Task on it and restart it.   There was an update to the CC App, itself, a couple days ahead of the LR and CC rollout that for me hung the first time and I had to do an End Task on it.

• 27. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                                              NickoPil

Renting or buying is a personal choice, but I will not agree that CC is "gift" - there is nothing like free lunch. We pay for everything and obviously in Adobe they made their math that CC is more profitable from standalone versions.  And it is not because of 'packaging', both are downloadable.  I agree with the that Adobe has the rights to decide what to  include in the update of each version - it is part of their business model (although I, as a standalone version user, am feeling somewhat cheated here). There are more serious issues with this update of standalone LR 6 however - apparently one cannot install the update without installing some additional software, like CC manager.  Adobe does not even bother to ask if one is content or not with installing this piece of SW.  With or without the new features this update is very needed because 6.01 is plagued with bugs, so Adobe owns it to us.  It is like buying any other product – the flaws should be fixed free of charge.  So, for us the standalone version users, this update is some sort of blackmail: ‘you will get it but on the price of accepting some CC SW on your machine. And hopefully at the end you will move to the CC version altogether’.  And this is 'putting the screws'!  I personally will move to cloud only when all other options are exhausted.  For now though, there are other options available out there - DXO Optics Pro , Capture One, etc. It is that simple.

• 28. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                                                biron66590 Level 1

I personally will move to cloud only when all other options are exhausted.

I’m afraid this is what Adobe is counting on and slowly “turning the screws” on stand alone users with every release.  So long as LR is bug free and continues to work with OS releases, I’ll forego new features if that’s what it comes to.

• 29. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                                                  Jeremy Enness Level 1

Got it !  Ended up uninstalling LRCC 2015 and re-downloading it to get 2015-1.  Logging out of CC app didn't do it but thanks for your input, much appreciated.

• 30. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                                                    NickoPil Level 1

That is also what I intend to do for now and ultimately moving to one of the competitors. 

• 31. Re: Dehaze control 6.1?
                                                                      NickoPil Level 1

The problem is that it is not bug free.  I don't want more than I paid for, but I will agree on less either.  Adobe should fix the bugs and provide us with clean of any additional S/W installer.  For now it seems that if I want some bugs fixed I will have to accept some CC S/W.  And this is 'turning the screws'.