• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am trying to open a pdf embedded in excel, but I am getting an error stating " cannot start the source application for this object" Can anyone help please?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any help would be appreciated.  I already tried turning off protected mode, but that didn't fix it.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

Please let me know the version of Adobe Reader/Acrobat & MS office installed on your computer?

In the mean time try the below steps :-

In your Adobe Reader/Acrobat

• Goto EDIT -> PREFERENCES...
  • On the GENERAL Category.
  • UNCHECK the 'Enable Protected Mode at startup'
    * you will get warning telling you that you will have to manually restart Reader before it takes effect.
  • Then go into EXCEL & check if it works.

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Acrobat pro 10, and excel 10.  I do not have the UNCHECK the 'Enable Protected Mode at startup' in general in pro x.  I turned off the security in the security field.  That didn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed reader, and now I can view, but if I want to edit I now have to open acrobat, and search for the document.  While I can do this, I would like to get it back to being able to do it all through acrobat.  I greatly appreciate any help you can give.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

Try the below steps :-

• Right click on any of the PDF file & select Open With -> Choose the Default program.
  • Default program window will pop up, then select Acrobat as the default program.
  • At the bottom you will see a check box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" make sure it is checked.
  • Click OK to confirm the changes.

Now all your PDF files will open in Acrobat by default.

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was really helpful, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue.  I notice that this post has over 3000 views, has anyone found a fix?  I have 300 items embedded in an excel file and suddenly I can't view any of them.  I am using Excel 2016 and Adobe Acrobat DC and Adobe Reader X. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This option can be found at Preferences --> Security (enhanced) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem for a couple years now and I fixed it today 🙂

This is what finally worked for me:

I have acrobat installed and none of the fixes worked.

So, in addition to acrobat I installed adobe reader dc

Now in excel I can use the option - insert - object - adobe acrobat document 

Reader pops up for a second and then does it's thing and now I have an embedded PDF with no errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines