17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 6:51 AM by Gutter-Fish Branched to a new discussion.

2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.

Cory Bauer Level 1

Don't make the same mistake I did and install the 2015 update. Not only does this "performance" update remove multi-processing - turning your 4, 6, 8 or 12-core machine into a 1-core machine, but for the first time in Creative Cloud history it also automatically deletes the previous version so you can't easily downgrade (a "remove old versions" feature is now enabled by default - which I don't believe existed at all previously). I also had a heck of a time getting back to the 2014 versions; the "older versions" feature was not working properly for me until I uninstalled every Adobe product on my machine.

I find it absolutely unbelievable that Adobe released a version of After Effects that's drastically slower at rendering due to the (hopefully) temporary removal of multiprocessing support, and then praised it as a huge performance release. Per Adobe's notes, which I found after the fact when trying to figure out why my renders were so much slower:

"The Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously feature has been superseded by the new architecture in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5). The new architecture will allow a future version of After Effects to utilize processor threads and RAM more efficiently than the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously functionality ever could."

I feel this update should have been held back until that future version of After Effects was ready for release; bragging about performance improvements forthcoming in After Effects at NAB and then not warning people that the release will actually make their renders take multiple times longer than before is a very questionable move.

• 1. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
          benm562737

Just an FYI...There's a way to uncheck "Remove previous version of AE" So that it doesn't over-wright the previous version when installing. I was hesitant to upgrade mid project so I was very careful which is why I noticed it.

Creative Cloud Delivering More Choice for Installations | Adobe Customer Care Team

• 2. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
            Cory Bauer Level 1

True! You can and should uncheck "remove previous versions". As I mentioned, either that wasn't previously a feature or wasn't previously checked by default because CC has always left the previous versions on my system until today. So it caught me by surprise when it deleted all my 2014 apps.

• 3. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Nothing has been killed. You can use this feature by keeping the previous version installed. Yes, the After Effects team agrees that removing previous versions by default is a bad decision. That's why we posted this:

keeping previous versions installed when installing CC 2015 applications

If you find the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing feature to be useful, then you can still use it in After Effects CC 2014 (13.2). You can do your creative work in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5), save the project, and then open it for final rendering in the previous version. That way, you get the best of both.

We will be replacing Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing with much better multiprocessing in the near future.

A lot of things are much faster in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5). We see a lot of advantages in making this version available now. If you'd like to wait until later and keep using the previous version, that's also easy to do.

• 4. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                Cory Bauer Level 1

Todd, I appreciate the reply and look forward to the much better multiprocessing features in the near future. I will reluctantly have to hold off on upgrading until that time however, as I'd prefer not having my $5,000 workstation function like a $500 one at this time. I think Adobe may be underestimating the importance of multi-processing in daily usage, however; per the "features not available" notes:

If you want to use Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously to speed up final rendering via the render queue, you can still do so by opening the project in After Effects CC 2014 (13.2).

The thing is, final rendering isn't the only time I want to use multi-processing. Nor should anyone. Any time one wants to preview or play back their work in the timeline, rendering 8 frames at a time instead of 1 at a time is obviously beneficial. I can't imagine the other performance enhancements in After Effects 2015 could be worth the trade-off of all previews taking 4-8 times longer as it processes one frame at a time.

I'm not sure when the "remove old versions" option was added, but CC updates in the past always left the previous versions by default, so I don't know if it was reset on my machine or something changed. Certainly didn't help that the feature is hidden under an "advanced options" panel one must flip open to reveal this nasty little setting!

• 5. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                  chfilm Level 1

100% agree on Cory's post.

I'm looking forward to a better and faster architecture in the NEAR future too, since this has been after effect's biggest issue in the last few years, but killing off multiprocessing and deleting the old version without asking or warning about the issue was a really bad decision.

Good thing I've got time machine..

• 6. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                    YerryBatista

I Just finished to assemble my 9K video rendering machine, and now I found this....  A deal braker for me,  Now I feel abandoned... have a lot of complex video to render and I you tell me that this "upgrade" improve things?   is there a way to downgrade or download previous versions?

• 7. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want to use the features in 15 you can open the projects in 14 without conversion and use that for rendering. Be cautioned that MP rendering only works on a limited number of effects and codecs so the projects must be tested to make sure that things work as you expect. The entire rendering structure of AE is being redone and this is just the first step.

To install previous versions open the CC app, scroll down to Find Additional Apps, then go to the right hand side where it says All Apps and open that menu to select View Previous Versions. You can have CS6 through CC 2015 installed on the same machine. I do. When Updating it's important to go to the advanced options and deselect "Remove Previous Versions"

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 7.29.33 AM.png

• 8. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                        slipedit

Please bring back multi-processing sooner rather than later.  Bouncing between versions of AE is hardly an elegant solution.  Rendering a rather simple :30 ad has gone from 4:42 to 12:58.  While I very much appreciate the speed boost of the new architecture, I'm disappointed Adobe thought it was okay to not finish the job and include multi-processor rendering.  I bought a Mac with 12 cores and 40GB or ram specifically for multi-processor rendering, which now requires a clunky workaround.

• 9. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                          davejacobson Level 1

After spending time in AE2015, I also totally agree with Cory.

It really feels like Adobe released an incomplete version of AE.  My department has spent a lot of money on our workstations and AE2015 significantly underutilizes our machines.  Our render times in AE2015 up to five times slower for both RAM previews and outputting files.  I know that MP has always had some issues but for us the benefits have always managed to outweigh the costs.  I'm certainly not against the new architecture Adobe has worked so hard to build, it just feels like an incomplete version of something great.  For the time being my department will be staying on AE2014.  I know we can't stay on 2014 forever and I really hope Adobe is finding a way to make the AE2015 rendering architecture as fast as the previous one with with MP.  Thank you.

Dave Jacobson

• 10. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                            medogazda

I just don't understand why would ever a company like Adobe delete major features without any working solution to replace it from a leader software, like After effects? Why?? When they've finally deleted the .h264 rendering feature, the Media Encoder was still much-much slower and sometimes the render had strange errors.It was often necessary to render into a RAW format and then convert it (it is ridiculous with a short deadline). They said, It's a lot of work to have that function in After Effects, while we can use the Media Encoder, too. Now, with the CC15 version I'm still watching my processor and RAM under 25% pressure during rendering. OK, I can use my PC at the same time, but when the deadline is over my head and phone's ringing, I just want the rendering to be done as fast as my workstation can do it. People love new features, but why the heck is it necessary to delete something way before a new feature could replace it?? This is what we, the customers don't understand...

We don't care about the future updates, we care about the current features in the softwares we use. And we don't want any working solution to be deleted, unless a better one could replace it. That's it.

• 11. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                              dissidently Level 1

1000x this:

"The thing is, final rendering isn't the only time I want to use multi-processing. Nor should anyone. Any time one wants to preview or play back their work in the timeline, rendering 8 frames at a time instead of 1 at a time is obviously beneficial. I can't imagine the other performance enhancements in After Effects 2015 could be worth the trade-off of all previews taking 4-8 times longer as it processes one frame at a time."

• 12. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                                Cory Bauer Level 1

Just updated to the late-2015 version of After Effects (13.6). Unfortunately there have been no improvements in multi-processing or render times compared to the previous version, which means it's still drastically slower than the 2014 version. Using my current project as a test, a render that takes less than 3 minutes in AE 2014 requires 17 minutes in the 2015 versions.

Again, I have to stress that this isn't merely an issue when outputting a final render, but also any time you want to preview your timeline while working.

• 13. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                                  NCPMR

If Adobe's goal isn't this - After Effects Comparison on Vimeo - then I see no point in their "speed related updates".

Motion is not a valid replacement for After Effects but it is honestly the same trick different interface. We want to See AE be as good as it can be but removing features doesn't show us that.

• 14. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                                    ollycoleman Level 1

This is unbelievable. I've just upgraded from CS6 to CC '15 and it is a complete shambles. WTF? How can Ae be used without fast RAM preview to looka t the work you're doing?? Tasks that took seconds now take minutes, it's utterly unusable!

• 15. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ollycoleman wrote:

This is unbelievable. I've just upgraded from CS6 to CC '15 and it is a complete shambles. WTF? How can Ae be used without fast RAM preview to looka t the work you're doing?? Tasks that took seconds now take minutes, it's utterly unusable!

If CC 2015 is unusable for you (make sure you're running version 13.7.1 or later before you decide), it's very easy to install CC 2014 alongside it which has a lot of new features, but still uses the old preview and render systems.

Hopefully the next update (for which Adobe has released some video sneak peeks) will work better for you.

• 16. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                                        dissidently Level 1

Other problems exist in CC2014, it's not as foolproof as Szalam would like you to believe. CS6 is still used by 90% of the teams I see working with AE in professional environments. They hold back updates to their workstations knowing these problems. I'm sorry there's not some formal place where the world of motion graphics pros can make it clear the extent of problems within AE for smaller teams that don't have folks doing research for them.

• 17. Re: 2015 Update kills Multi-Processing - DO NOT UPGRADE.
                                          Gutter-Fish Level 4

Personally I think the one real advantage  in AE2014 (as opposed to CS6) is that it comes with Cineware & C4DLite.   Forget 2015.  I have it installed and occasionally play with it for personal projects just to get acclimated but I do all my work in 2014.   They didn't just drop the ball with 2015, they freakin LOST the ball completely, they don't even know where the ball is.   In their ridiculous "sneak peek" video they actually touted real time playback as an "exciting new feature".   The video was probably made with apple software.