15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 12:58 PM by A.T. Romano

Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11

app1pra

I have a project that contains both still images and video.  When I look at the content in the Organizer, they are crystal clear and sharp.  When I bring them into the project in Premier Elements, the quality is poor.  I have rendered the project before viewing.

• 1. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

app1pra

What are the properties of these source stills and videos that you have been viewing in the Elements Organizer workspace?

When you are in your Premiere Elements project, what is the project preset that you have set manually beforehand or the project has attempted to set automatically based on the properties of what has been sent to it? When the project is opened and media on the Timeline, please tell us what you see for Edit Menu/Project Settings/General's readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out).

How are you adding media to the Premiere Elements 11 Timeline - Add Media and then what or other?

Let us start here. If any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
            app1pra Level 1

The stills are all JPegs.  The size of the files vary, but they are all 4000 x 3000.  The videos are .MOV files and show as 1920 x 1080.

I used the project preset of NTSC-DV (which I saw in a post as a possible solution).  The Edit mode is HD 1080i, The timebase is 29.97 Frames per second.  Frame Size is 1920 x 1080 and Pixel aspect ratio is Square Pixel.

I had all the content in an album in Organizer.  I selected all and dragged them to the Add media section.  I received a message asking if I wanted the software to fix errors in the video clips.  I replied yes. I then rendered the content and played it.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

app1pra

Is the video (.mov) 1080i30 or 1080p30?

What is your computer environment Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit or other? Processor, clock speed, installed available RAM, free hard drive space information would be helpful to guess at whether your setup can deal with several photos that are grossly oversized for the project preset.

I will give you a detailed reply and suggested workflow once I have that information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
                app1pra Level 1

As far as the PC is concerned - it is running Windows 7 64 bit.  There

is 8GB of RAM.  The processor is Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00 GHz.  It

has a 2.0 TB hard drive with 1.52 TB free.

I am not sure how to tell whether the .mov is 1080i30 or 1080p30.  Here

is a screenshot or the properties that I find:

Paul

• 5. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

For some reason the screenshot did not get posted.

If you could tell us the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video, we should be able to infer the video properties from that.

Otherwise, I will give you a workflow for 1080p and determine if that will work for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
                    app1pra Level 1

The camera is a Canon Powershot SX50HS.  When recording there is a 1920

at the top of the screen.  In the menu, the video system is set to NTSC.

The movies section is set for 1920x1080.  It says it shoots full HD

movies.

Since the screenshot did not work, here is the information when I pull

up a movie in Windows Explorer:

Quick Time Movie, Frame width 1920, Frame Height 1080, frame rate 23

frames per second, data rate 34490kbps, total bitrate 36061.

Let me know if you need more.

Paul

• 7. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

Thanks for the reply with very valuable information for the troubleshooting.

Premiere Elements 11, Expert workspace

Got to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, change the project preset to NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p24, and close out of there.

In the New Project dialog that opens, name the project and make sure to have a check mark in front of "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project", and close out of there.

In the Expert workspace, import your 1920 x 1080p24 source video.

The photos that you want to use are grossly oversized for the preset and are 4:3 which you would be taking into a 16:9 project. How many of these 4000 x 3000 4:3 photos do you plan on bringing into the project? The photo aspect ratio is probably more of an issue that that of oversized photos which might be compromising your system resources.

Crop resize the photos to 1920 x 1080 16:9.

a. you can do that in Photoshop Elements Editor Crop Tool

b. you can use the free IrfanVIew program for the batch approach

If pan and zoom effects are to be applied to the photos, then consider the crop resize to 1.2x. 1.5x or 2x 1920 x 1080 maintaining the 16:9 frame aspect ratio. Import with the preference Default Scale to Frame Size disabled, and the apply pan and zoom effect followed by scaling the photo just to fit the 1920 x 1080 16:9 space in the Edit area monitor. Or right click the photo returning from the Pan and Zoom workspace and enable Scale to Frame Size to let the project do that scaling to the 1920 x 1080 space.

Render the Timeline to get the best possible preview.

What is your intended export?

If to file saved to the computer hard drive, consider

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p24

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the results in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
                        app1pra Level 1

Thanks, things are going better.  The video comes in fine.  I do not see

an option on the crop tool to resize the photos.  Under expert, the crop

tool does not show any option for the ratio.  It does show a picture

size of 16 in by 9 in which I guess would keep the ratio.  Under

resolution, it does not allow a set to 1920 x 1080.  There is only one

entry and that is pixels per inch.  Any wisdom there.

FYI..I did, as a test, import a few still images without making any

changes to them and they show up clearly without any issues.

Paul

• 9. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

Cropping and resizing to which I refer would be in Photoshop Elements Editor.

However, if your system resources support it, import your 4000 x 3000 as is into Premiere Elements. Right click the Timeline file and remove the check mark next to Scale to Frame Size. Then click on the monitor to bring up the photos bounding box. Click drag one of the bounding box's handles to the point where your photo just fits (no black borders) into the Edit area monitor space that was created by the choice of project preset.

Does that work for you?

ATR

• 10. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
                            Leem6453

I think I had the same issue you had, but only once.  All my videos are 1080p, and I always use the pre-render option after loading the unaltered video.  Once I forgot to do that and waited till I had already trimmed the video and added effects.  I think it has something to do with your systems resources....but I'm just guessing. 

• 11. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Leem6453

We would need to go into the details of your experiences and how you believe them to relate to system resources.

1. Do you also use Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit? What is a description of your computer resources?

2. If you have a 1080p video source, is your project preset one of those from the DSLR category? See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

Right now Paul, the originator of this thread, is asking about photos that are to go into his 1920 x 1080 16:9 project, and these source photos are 4000 x 3000 which are way over the project settings frame size. If his computer resources permit and depending on how many of these photos he wants to use, he can consider importing them as is as I have described in post 9. When photos with pixel dimensions that grossly exceed the project setting and project performance are compromised by those, then you are forced to crop resize or just resize depending if you are taking the 4:3 photo to 16:9 project or 16:9 photo to 16:9 project.

Please consider, supply more information, perhaps in another new thread, and then we can offer suggestions to get the best possible from your Premiere Elements workflow.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
                                Leem6453 Level 1

Thank you for the suggestions.  I will definitely check out the DSLR category setting. I am loving the program so far.

Lee

• 13. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lee

Based on your comments in other threads here this morning, your workflows are working well for you.

As they say "do not mess with a good thing". It would appear that you do not need troubleshooting assistance at this time.

Keep up the good work.

ATR

• 14. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
                                    app1pra Level 1

I agree.  Thanks for your help.

Paul

• 15. Re: Poor Image Quality in Premier Elements 11
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

Thanks.

We will be watching for your progress when you get the time to get back to your thread.

Any questions that come up along the way to your project conclusion, please let me know, and I will post the supplemental information needed.

Best wishes

ATR