5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2015 7:56 AM by greghinson

Computer crashes during HDR processing

greghinson

Recently upgraded to Lightroom 6. Very slow performance with HDR processing. If I try to process more than one set of exposures at a time, it can take hours and occasionally crashes whole computer, causing automatic restart.

How to troubleshoot this?

Thank you.

(iMac, late 2013, OS X Yosemite, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA 780 4 GB)

• 1. Re: Computer crashes during HDR processing
          dj_paige Level 9

Well, if its taking hours, it might be that your computer isn't powerful enough to perform these HDR tasks simultaneously. What happens if you only process one at a time?

If the entire computer crashes, that's a good indication that you have a hardware malfunction, and my first guess would be that the CPU is overheating because a fan has failed.

• 2. Re: Computer crashes during HDR processing
            greghinson Level 1

Thing is, it's a relatively new Mac. 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7. It has one of their Fusion hard drives (half standard, half SSD). I have noticed that the amount of free space on my hard drive greatly effects Lightroom performance in general. If I only have 75GB or so of space, regular editing is much slower than if I free up 200 GB of space. But this issue is happening with the higher capacity free. I do not think it is a hardware malfunction. Nothing else I do with the computer, including rendering large 4K video files, causes the same error. And this morning, the crash happened within a few minutes of me turning on the computer. Not much chance to overheat.

• 3. Re: Computer crashes during HDR processing
              NickoBe Level 1

LR6 causes my quad core i7 iMac to overheat, fans blasting. Hopefully the 6.1 update will fix this (I think it has, after limited use), Shame other new features won't work because I decided to buy instead of rent.

• 4. Re: Computer crashes during HDR processing
                dj_paige Level 9

greghinson wrote:

Thing is, it's a relatively new Mac. 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7. It has one of their Fusion hard drives (half standard, half SSD). I have noticed that the amount of free space on my hard drive greatly effects Lightroom performance in general. If I only have 75GB or so of space, regular editing is much slower than if I free up 200 GB of space. But this issue is happening with the higher capacity free. I do not think it is a hardware malfunction. Nothing else I do with the computer, including rendering large 4K video files, causes the same error. And this morning, the crash happened within a few minutes of me turning on the computer. Not much chance to overheat.

Relatively new computers can have hardware malfunctions. If the fan is intermittently malfunctioning, that could cause the symptoms you describe.

• 5. Re: Computer crashes during HDR processing
                  greghinson Level 1

Well, I just upgraded to 6.1. I'll see if that works. My guess is it is just overwhelming the processor or the virtual memory process. I have no other indications of hardware failure. Again, the same does not happen with prolonged rendering of 4K video in Final Cut Pro.