8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 2:21 PM by Szalam

Playback options - play once, loop or just keep playing

Bulk001

When I hit spacebar it caches in about 10 seconds of video and then mostly just loops but occasionally it will keep playing the clip instead. Is there a way to set what happens? In the preview tab I have options to loop and play once but not to just keep playing the full timeline.

• 2. Re: Playback options - play once, loop or just keep playing
          Bulk001 Level 1

Thanks Szalam. But it doesn't actually. Sometimes when I hit space bar it will cache in an area (where do I specify the length for this BTW?) and then loop it and then sometimes it just caches in the area and keeps caching it in (and removing the older cache) even though I do nothing different. Changing the preview window from loop to single play does not seem to change anything either - it either keeps playing or most times it loops for me.

• 3. Re: Playback options - play once, loop or just keep playing
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I think that what you're asking for is the Preview Favors control set to Length in the Preview panel.

• 4. Re: Playback options - play once, loop or just keep playing
              Bulk001 Level 1

Thanks for responding Todd. I have a clip that is an hour long in my timeline and was just messing with the new version and noticed that when I hit the spacebar it either 1. will cache in about 10 seconds (this is on my laptop and only have 16 gigs) and loops that section over and over (regardless of it I have loop or single play set in the Preview tab) but occasionally for no apparent reason 2. It will just keep playing the whole clip till I hit the space bar and when I hit it again either 1 or 2 will happen randomly (but mostly it reverts back to behavior 1). Is there any way to get the old spacebar functionality where it just kept playing (as best it could) till you stopped it or will it now always caches what it can and then just loop that?

• 5. Re: Playback options - play once, loop or just keep playing
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

bulk oo1 wrote:

Sometimes when I hit space bar it will cache in an area (where do I specify the length for this BTW?)

The page I linked you to talks about the different ways of starting a preview (spacebar or Numpad 0) and what the defaults are for what gets previewed and how (granted, it's a little way down the page). Your work area is what will be previewed by default with 0 whereas spacebar will preview the work area extended by where your CTI is.

• 6. Re: Playback options - play once, loop or just keep playing

bulk oo1 wrote:

Is there any way to get the old spacebar functionality where it just kept playing (as best it could) till you stopped it or will it now always caches what it can and then just loop that?

The page I linked you to also talks about how to reset things back to most closely resemble the old way.

Reset: Click the Reset button to restore the default preview settings (above) for all of the shortcuts. Hold the Option key on Mac OS or Alt key on Windows and click the Reset button to change the settings of the keyboard shortcuts to closely match their behavior in previous versions of After Effects:

• 7. Re: Playback options - play once, loop or just keep playing
                    Bulk001 Level 1

I don't have a numpad on my laptop so could not test that but the page you referenced did say to pull down on the preview window to reveal more options. Changing range to Entire Duration and Preview Favors to Length took care of it! Thanks for your help.

• 8. Re: Playback options - play once, loop or just keep playing

bulk oo1 wrote:

I don't have a numpad on my laptop so could not test that but the page you referenced did say to pull down on the preview window to reveal more options. Changing range to Entire Duration and Preview Favors to Length took care of it! Thanks for your help.

Hooray! (Don't forget to mark the correct answer and helpful responses so that future forum viewers with the same problem can know what to do.)

This is really a groundbreaking new version of AE, so there's a lot of stuff to go through in it.