• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Allow infinite attempts, but prevent retakes if passed. Possible?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a situation where a learner must achieve a score of 90% to pass a quiz. I am allowing infinite attempts at the quiz.

After the quiz summary slide, the learner has the opportunity to return to the beginning of the module. It is possible for the learner to go through the module once and achieve a 90% (thus satisfying the completion criteria), but without exiting the module, return to the beginning and take the quiz again. On the second attempt they could get a lower score, and upon exiting, the LMS would show them as complete (from the first time through the quiz) but with a score below 90 (from the second time through the quiz).

Is there any way to tell Captivate "hey, if they've already passed, don't let them take it again"?

I looked at the totalAttempts variable, I thought about giving them 1000 attempts and if they pass, setting their totalAttempts = 1000, but it doesn't look like that variable can be updated.

The only other thing I can think of is to create 2 branches - one with content and quiz questions, the other with just content. If they have passed the quiz and start over, they go down the content only branch. The problem with this approach is that the content is duplicated, meaning larger file sizes, twice the maintenance work, etc.

Any thoughts?

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RodWard‌, Lilybiri‌, Captiv8r‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the normal behavior at all.  Review button, which means that no further attempts are possible, should appear when user has passed if you set Quiz attempts to Infinite.

Something must have been messed up. Did you delete embedded objects on question/score slides? Those are objects that do not have separate timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Allow User to Review the Quiz checkbox is not selected, but my testing shows that it doesn't make any difference.

The learner doesn't use the Review button to go back. After the Quiz Summary slide, there is a final content slide. That final content slide has a button that jumps back to slide 1, before the first question slide. So the learner leaves the quiz scope at the end, and jumps back prior to the start of the quiz. It's a completely new attempt, which is apparently allowed by the infinite attempts setting even when the quiz has been passed.

I've tested in v7 and v8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still puzzled because I never did see such a behavior. Did you track cpQuizInfoAttempts? What are the Actions on Success, and On Failure on Quiz level?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If Passing is Continue, If Failing doesn't have a setting because Infinite Attempts is selected.

I have been experimenting with hiding the "home" button on the final content slide. If they pass the quiz, I can basically force them to exit the course. At that point the LMS gets their completion status AND their passing score. Any launches from the LMS after that point will be "review only" and will not update their status or score.

The only problem is, when they re-launch, they are taken back to the final slide, but it knows they have passed and doesn't show the "home" button. They need the "home" button to go back to the beginning. So I'm thinking I could check to see if they passed AND if the "home" button is currently visible. If it is, hide it. If it isn't, show it. However, I can't figure out how to check the visibility of the button (e.g., button_1030.visibile = 1 or button_1030.visibility = true or something like that).

Also, once they've passed once, I want the "home" button to always show. What I've described above would toggle it with every re-launch. Are user variables preserved when using SCORM or AICC? I'm thinking I may need to use a variable of my own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources